64cm (or shorter) Scale Guitar Owners

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Chuah Hui Hsien

Re: 64cm (or shorter) Scale Guitar Owners

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:48 pm

Thanks, Mr Rain for your recommendation.

Is the Aranjuez 400 and Pyramid Silver good as a whole set? Or you just suggested to use only bass strings?
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:25 am

A big THANK YOU to all of you!

Your inputs on issues were much needed and appreciated. It's never too late to learn from one another. Even though I've been playing CG for many many years, still there are things to unlearn and relearn.
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

The_H

Post by The_H » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:47 am

Hi, having played on and off for many years I always felt the standard size CG was holding me back, mainly due to the stretches required in advance pieces and having small hands.
I had convinced myself having a smaller than standard sizes CG was somehow a compromise, however in the last 6 months I bit the bullet,sold up my standard CGs and reinvested in 3 smaller models:-
Cordoba c9 parlour (7/8 body size with 630 length and 50mm width)
Ramirez 2NE short scale length (636 length and 51mm width)
Asturias custom 630 (630 length, 50mm wide).

From my own perspective all the above have proven easier to play based on these off the shelf models. To this I had the bridges shaved slightly to lower the action and went for medium gauge strings (savages, HB). I found this improved the playability and for me has opened up a new enthusiasm for tackling those pieces that could never quite get right. My left hand is under less strain as a result and I find I can therefore practice for longer periods....and get more of the stretches!
Having said all the above, I have noticed a reduced volume in these guitars, but in terms of quality of sound nothing particularly noticeable to me.
Having made the plunge into the smaller scale, I haven’t regretted it and doubt I will ever go back to a standard 650mm.
Thx

Brandon Walker

Post by Brandon Walker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:07 pm

My 64cm Michael Ritchie sounds full and powerful - I don’t think the scale length influences this as much as Michael’s artistry and his plantilla shape, etc. It is exceptionally comfortable to play, but again this may be due to the maker rather than the scale length.

I have Hannabach MHT Titanyl on at the moment. I also like Hannabach 550 MT trebles (not the basses), and Hauser HT basses, as well as D’Addario Dynacore basses.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”