DIY String Beads - very simple end effective

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Keith

Re: DIY String Beads - very simple end effective

Post by Keith » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:48 pm

If one is set on beads it seems that going to Rockler or Woodsmith and getting a rosewood dowel rod might be an interesting project. This way you can keep it wood and come close to matching the tie block. I guess in a pinch one could get an oak dowel rod at Home Depot.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:04 am

I actually don't mind the look of brass. With wood I'd always worry about stability, or else they would need to be quite chubby. The complete set of 6 brass beads the way I did them weighs less then 1.5 g, which is really nothing to worry bout in terms impact on the sound...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents
My homepage is: https://www.live-arts.de

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Further developed tumbler (now you can really see why it is called a tumbler... :D )

Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Here's the result of the second series:
This is after more than 24 hours of tumbling in Sahara sand... :D
It's quite inconspicuous and adds less then 1.5 g to the bridge. Very nice on the right hand feeling.

StringBeadsDelcamp01.jpg
StringBeadsDelcamp02.jpg
StringBeadsDelcamp03.jpg
StringBeadsDelcamp04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Cute looking string beads you made! They look much better that the ugly chunky commercially available ones,and they aren't cheap.

I also noticed that you melt the string ends.Are the brass tube very slipperly? Or you just do it for extra hold, just in case the string slips thru?
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:20 pm

My melting habit ... :D it's actually not necessary, but I don't want to try out.

I think the deburring with sand had mainly a very nice effect on the finish.It's now nicely matted. It will oxidate and darken with time anyway and become barely visible.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:34 am

Aesthetically...very nice with the flat brass colour.
1971 Yamaha GC-10 (Hideyuki Ezaki)
2017 Yamaha GC82S (Akio Naniki/Naohiro Kawashima)

Kintla

Post by Kintla » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:31 am

This is very cool. I imagine you could measure and drill the holes before, then cut them into separate pieces. Seems odd to me that you notice a tension difference for the right hand. Would much rather have these than the plastic ones available commercially.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:57 am

Kintla wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:31 am
This is very cool. I imagine you could measure and drill the holes before, then cut them into separate pieces. Seems odd to me that you notice a tension difference for the right hand. Would much rather have these than the plastic ones available commercially.
I notice the same increase in the tension feel for the right hand with the Diamond String Ties. Perhaps the more direct connection to the back of the tie block (less spring from the loop holding the string before it enters the tie block hole) plays a role in this. As well there is a slight increase in the break angle with no loop around the string and this may slightly increase the downward pull on the saddle. I do not notice any change in the tone of the guitar, just a change in the action feel.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:56 pm

Beowulf wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:57 am
Kintla wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:31 am
I notice the same increase in the tension feel for the right hand with the Diamond String Ties. Perhaps the more direct connection to the back of the tie block (less spring from the loop holding the string before it enters the tie block hole) plays a role in this. As well there is a slight increase in the break angle with no loop around the string and this may slightly increase the downward pull on the saddle. I do not notice any change in the tone of the guitar, just a change in the action feel.
The breaking angle makes the big difference IMHO. In this case the flamenca had a quite little breaking angle (counted against the straight line)
and that led to a certain instabilty in sound - that is completely gone. So yes, there is mainly the difference in feel, but also, in this case, in sond as well... Improved!

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:07 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:56 pm
The breaking angle makes the big difference IMHO. In this case the flamenca had a quite little breaking angle (counted against the straight line)
and that led to a certain instabilty in sound - that is completely gone. So yes, there is mainly the difference in feel, but also, in this case, in sond as well... Improved!
Ahh, yes...I can see that if the original break angle was only minimal.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”