Advice on strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Tuve Gustavsson
Student of the online lessons

Advice on strings

Post by Tuve Gustavsson » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:26 am

I have played wtih Augustine high tension for most of my time, and just recently tried Hannabach SUper high tension. I tried the super high tension with the idea of being able to make bigger bigger differences in dynamics, but I am now doubting that idéa. What would you recommend for my next purchase? My local store has some Savarez aswell, which I have never tried.

petermc61

Re: Advice on strings

Post by petermc61 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:58 am

Tuve,

Using Hannabach super high tension is a form of masochism most players would never contemplate. I can’t imagine the tension of that set, given that all Hannabach are already quite high. I can also imagine that it choked the hell out of the top and probably killed dynamics.

Let us know what guitar you have, whether it is cedar or spruce, what you have often used (which Augustine - Blue Imperial or Blue Regal?) and what aspect of the sound or dynamics you would like to change e.g. make the trebles sweeter, the bass richer or tighter etc.

I’d be happy to then offer some suggestions.

Regards
Peter

Tuve Gustavsson
Student of the online lessons

Post by Tuve Gustavsson » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:17 am

I got spruce on mine. Regarding the strings, I have mostly been using Augustine "Classical/blue". What I am chasing is more of a warm, mellow, almost like "oak" type of sound. Neither of those I've tried made that sound, but I think that's more of the choice of the guitar. Now when I use Hannabach, I sometimes feel like the bass notes takes over too much.

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:32 am

The Augustine imperial strings are really nice. I use Augustine imperial red on a cedar top and the sound is warm. But! Strings don't make THAT much difference. It is more the guitar and your technique. As said above though, I would not go super high tension they won't really acheive what you think they will.
Classical guitar teacher

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:20 am

Try Ramirez medium tension with carbon G and report back how they go.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:32 pm

HB's tend to have a darker sound; I like them on my spruce guitar. You may want to try a lower tension, though. They are comparatively *much* higher tension than other brands' "high" tension. I believe the most popular HBs are the 815 Silvers in Medium (the black label). I love those, and also love the 900/200 set in Medium-High, which are just a very tiny bit more tense than the 815s. Your mileage may vary.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”