Mixing tensions?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Dave Stott

Mixing tensions?

Post by Dave Stott » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:38 pm

Perhaps because of my steel string background, I probably have a heavy left hand. Because when using normal tensions, the 1st string sometimes slips off the fretboard while fretting notes. :?

I recently changed to using normal tension basses paired high tension trebles and the issue with the 1st string is gone.

:D

Savarez Cantiga Normal tension basses with high tension Alliance strings seem to be my favorite right now.
:D

Does anyone else mix string tensions? :? :?

Dave
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2015 Simon & Patrick Showcase CH HG

astro64

Re: Mixing tensions?

Post by astro64 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:52 pm

We all do, all the time, since bass strings rarely have exactly the same tension as treble strings: even if the strings are e.g. labeled as "medium tension" we are mixing tensions. Tensions designations between brands vary too. Just play what works for you.

LK51

Post by LK51 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:10 pm

Dave...
"Savarez Cantiga Normal tension basses with high tension Alliance strings seem to be my favorite right now."

I play a Cordoba Orchestra CE and have used the same set up you mentioned and found them to have excellent tone and feel too. Right now I have the Cantiga Normal tension basses paired with Oasis GPX high tension trebles. I like them as well or better than the high tension Alliance. Still trying to see if either seems to be the more durable string.

Noticed that you play a GK Pro. Seems that the Cordoba crossover types do well with high tension carbons. I wasn't really satisfied with the output of nylons on this guitar.
2017 Cordoba Fusion Orchestra
1972 Martin D35-S
2007 Larrivee LV 05e

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:36 pm

Hey, I used to also own a Cordoba Orchestra CE... Loved the sound, but just couldn't bond with the narrower width nut on it. My left hand felt cramped at time when trying to play some stretches. I've had my Cordoba GK Pro for almost 4 years and still love it.

The high tension Savarez Alliance are my favorites right now. The Oasis GPX normal tension trebles are also very nice. I switch between them depending on my mood. :P There hasn't seemed to be much difference in longevity between Savarez and Oasis trebles for me.

I've tried the Oasis GPX high tension trebles and my left hand wasn't happy with the feel. While the diameter isn't very different between Savarez and Oasis, my hunch is that they're much harder than the Alliances.

A while ago, I tried the high tension Cantiga Basses and just wasn't happy with the sound on the GK Pro. It seemed that they made sound much more "bassier" than with normal tensions.

Lot's of folk seem to like high tension strings on their Cordoba's. :?

Dave

LK51 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:10 pm
Dave...
"Savarez Cantiga Normal tension basses with high tension Alliance strings seem to be my favorite right now."

I play a Cordoba Orchestra CE and have used the same set up you mentioned and found them to have excellent tone and feel too. Right now I have the Cantiga Normal tension basses paired with Oasis GPX high tension trebles. I like them as well or better than the high tension Alliance. Still trying to see if either seems to be the more durable string.

Noticed that you play a GK Pro. Seems that the Cordoba crossover types do well with high tension carbons. I wasn't really satisfied with the output of nylons on this guitar.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2015 Simon & Patrick Showcase CH HG

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”