How to cope with the height of strings in a classical guitar?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Freibetto

How to cope with the height of strings in a classical guitar?

Post by Freibetto » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 am

Believe it or not, one of the reasons why I gave up on learning how to play it was because my guitar had more than once presented a bad height of the strings, thus producing that scratchy noise in some frets. Apparently a luthier can fix it, but the one I hired couldn't, and even charged me quite much for his service. It was just too much of a headache for me. I'm thinking in getting to play again but I guess I need to solve this height problem first when it arises in my new guitar (I sold the old one after giving up). Open to help.

souldier

Re: How to cope with the height of strings in a classical guitar?

Post by souldier » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:29 pm

I have no idea what you are referring to. Could you elaborate more on the problem?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:25 pm

souldier wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:29 pm
I have no idea what you are referring to. Could you elaborate more on the problem?
He is saying that there are frets producing string buzz (i.e. guitar needs higher action and/or fixing the fretboard).
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:59 pm

Test the guitar before you buy it. Don't buy one that needs fixing. If you have to buy online, make sure that you can return it easily if you don't like it.

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:03 pm

1) the strings are supposed to look a little high. Scratching noises implies it was too low? Maybe someone lowered it too much.

2) the strings shouldn't really move.. Unless the guitar is poorly built or subject to an extremely dry or wet environment

Chuah Hui Hsien

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:49 am

Are you saying that the action on the strings too high to your liking and they cause you diffulty to press, thus producing fret noise?

You can check it on your own,for classical guitar 4mm string height on the 12th fret from the bass side, and 3mm from the trebles side.You can lower to 3.6mm/2.8mm as you wished.Also use Normal Tension or Light Tension strings can help if it is a 65cm guitar.
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”