Cantiga, Wolverton, Rubner

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
LarryATahoe

Cantiga, Wolverton, Rubner

Post by LarryATahoe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:30 pm

I wasted a lot of time and money trying different strings on my beautiful Wolverton lattice guitar. In the end the only strings that bring out the full potential of the guitar are the ones the luthier recommended - Cantiga normal tension. So if a luthier designs for certain strings it might be best to just go with them. I had to take off the Scheller tuners I had as they are going to another guitar. Rubner frictionless provided a great tuner for a low price. I'm not a fan of ornate tuners so I just got the lowest price frictionless Rubners. They are excellent tuners although not in the same league as Schellers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LarryATahoe on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

astro64

Re: Cantiga, Wolverton, Rubner

Post by astro64 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:48 pm

Cantigua is a bass string set. What is the treble that Jason prefers along with it?

LarryATahoe

Post by LarryATahoe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:36 pm

I use the Savarez 510AR set that comes with Alliance normal tension trebles. That's what was on the guitar when I got it. 510AR is definitely my choice for this guitar although I haven't yet tried the Savarez Premium set.

LarryATahoe

Post by LarryATahoe » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:36 pm

BTW good point astro64. When I think of Savarez I tend to think of Alliance as I never use Cristals or the others. Savarez really made an impact on the guitar world when they introduced Alliance trebles.
Last edited by LarryATahoe on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:44 pm

I played carbon trebles for many years. On some guitars they work fine, others they can get too bright. A carbon 3rd is pretty much always a good choice, not necessarily better than nylon in all cases, but never a bad choice in my experience, a more neutral and steady sound with a bit more sustain. For the first string I no longer ever use carbon trebles. The 2nd only for one or two of my guitars. Mixing carbon strings with nylon 1st (and 2nd) seems to work fine in most cases.

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:00 pm

I would imagine that luthiers are more interested in the tension of the sets more than building with a certain brand in mind. I imagine they are more concerned with how much they can drive a top, without choking it. The set that the OP mentioned are their medium tension, well as medium as they get.

If tried a lot of strings, and some combinations, or even full sets sometimes, sound good on a variety of guitars. When you get a string set like that, and you put it on a super good, hand built instrument, watch out!

Still don’t be afraid to experiment with strings, you won’t hurt anything, and you are likely to find something you like better.

Listen to your strings on your guitar, and think about if you could change anything, what would it be. But, if your guitar sounds perfect to you, then I guess your search is over lol.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”