Strings Poll

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Gorn

Re: Strings Poll

Post by Gorn » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:13 pm

GHS 2500 - for playing Bossa/Swing/Latin - live via piezo-pickup. The basses are by far my best choice for this music.
I'm only considering to make a test and replace the g-string with carbon (I think I still have a Savarez ARJ 500 set somwhere laying around) when changing the next time.
GHS's e and b sound and play "latin" and stay very quickly in tune, but the intonation of g could be slightly better from the 8/9th fret on, which is a Nylon problem in general (it was the same with "T.store"s cheap D'Addario EXP46 clones). It's not really a problem, but maybe a thinner string will do better (?)
Last edited by Gorn on Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:39 pm

ShawnNY wrote:I'm really loving the Hannabach 728 MT at the moment. The best strings that I have played in quite a while. :wink:
You are not alone!
I often use this whole set, but swap out the third for carbon. This is the most homogenous I get. I often have FOUR different brands on my guitars at any given time: basses always the same, third carbon, 2nd carbon, sometimes nylon depends on the guitar, 1st almost always nylon.
2017 Glenn Canin Spruce

Arker

Post by Arker » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:06 pm

Gorn wrote:GHS 2500 - for playing Bossa/Swing/Latin - live via piezo-pickup. The basses are by far my best choice for this music.
I'm only considering to make a test and replace the g-string with carbon (I think I still have a Savarez ARJ 500 set somwhere laying around) when changing the next time.
GHS's e and b sound and play "latin" and stay very quickly in tune, but the intonation of g could be slightly better from the 8/9th fret on, which is a Nylon problem in general (it was the same with "T.store"s cheap D'Addario EXP46 clones). It's not really a problem, but maybe a thinner string will do better (?)
You might also try the 2510 set with the wrapped 3rd.

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:11 pm

my vote for Augustine Red medium tension all.
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Ramirez 4NE, IRW \ Cedar 2011
Yamaha CG192S

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Likewise for Augustine Red.

I use Augustine Red basses on my guitars paired with either Classic or Imperial trebles depending on the balance needed for the particular guitar.

Gtrplyr1

Post by Gtrplyr1 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:13 pm

D'Addario High Tension EJ46

chrispeppler
Amateur luthier

Post by chrispeppler » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:16 pm

I am sure the moderators know by now that the link to the strings poll is dead (download/file.php?id=24098&mode=view) It would be great to have access to the poll.

Robert Real

Post by Robert Real » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:27 pm

Savarez 500AJ Alliance/Corum High Tension. Easy to find for me locally, and they sound good on my Larrivee. I'd love to try the Polished set, but i can't seem to find them around. May have to order online.

Ludwig

Post by Ludwig » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:04 pm

I use Hannabach Goldin for trebles and Pyramid sterling silver for basses.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:21 am

chrispeppler wrote:I am sure the moderators know by now that the link to the strings poll is dead (download/file.php?id=24098&mode=view) It would be great to have access to the poll.
I agree. Much as I'm enjoying browsing the historical posts generally (I'm a newcomer), over 40 pages of content on this single topic is proving to be a challenge and the summary would be much appreciated :D

malin819

Post by malin819 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:09 pm

same here :(

Elitista2

Post by Elitista2 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:17 pm

Gold medal to Augustine classic blu.
With these (and probably a good Ramirez ;) ) you can feel at home, with in mind the sounds of the records from Segovia, Parkening, Luis Gonzales, Yamashita, Solomon Silber etc...
2012 Ramirez Elite

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:06 pm

chrispeppler wrote:I am sure the moderators know by now that the link to the strings poll is dead (download/file.php?id=24098&mode=view) It would be great to have access to the poll.
What you are linking to is the jpg in this post, and unfortunately it appears that the jpg file itself is corrupted, presumably one of the casualties of the last server move, and the member who posted it has not visited since last May, so it's unlikely to be replaced unless some other member has a previous download of it and can let us have that. We'll probably just have to hope someone else will have the time and energy to produce an updated version.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

chrispeppler
Amateur luthier

Post by chrispeppler » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:27 pm

:merci: @GeoffB Thank you for looking into this, and yes, it would be great if someone who downloaded the file before the corruption occured could re-post it.

kloeten

Post by kloeten » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:25 pm

My vote goes to Hannabach MT strings

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”