about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
joseplluis7

about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by joseplluis7 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:30 am

hello everybody

I just have played with addario exp45 normal tension strings. I'm thinking to try new brands like savarez, and I'm not sure about the choice.
what's the diference with polished strings? I know coated are intended to last more than normals.

my guitar is an alhambra 5P CW. I would be happy to get advices or suggestions about what to try. I play with fingers not with nails.
:merci:

strings

Re: about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by strings » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Strings are polished to reduce the noise, from your fingers rubbing on them.Popular with recording and concert performers.Personal ,I don't mind the squeak and to pay almost double the price to reduce it ,for me, is pointless.To some extent ,the coated strings also reduce the noise but the main reason to coat strings is to stop sweat and dirt being absorbed in to the strings, reducing the stings life and spoiling the tone.But here again at a extra cost.If you wash your hand and don't sweat too much you my not need them?
As for playing with fingers.I would suggest you grow your nail.But if you can't do that I would try some of the newer strings like titanium or carbon.Generally brighter and louder and might help to improve the tone for you.
Last edited by strings on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:14 pm

joseplluis7 wrote:hello everybody

I just have played with addario exp45 normal tension strings. I'm thinking to try new brands like savarez, and I'm not sure about the choice.
what's the diference with polished strings? I know coated are intended to last more than normals.

my guitar is an alhambra 5P CW. I would be happy to get advices or suggestions about what to try. I play with fingers not with nails.
:merci:
Hello,

polished strings have (at least in my experience) a less bright sound, they tend to sound a bit dull from the begining and certainly they do so after a short period of playing. They are certainly a choice for people who like to play strings for longer time and prefer this mellow sound (of course this concerns only the wound strings).

They do not help playing without nails at all. The most imprtant thing with playing without nails is to have strings that are not so hard (rather medium to medium-low tension, especially the trebles). Also trebles that have a less polished surface help playing without nails. Some of the rectfied nylons have this. Aquila trebles are also very nice for playing without nails; but I don't have a too good experience with their intonation; also the high e string tends to break easier than other strings.

best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

Halexx

Post by Halexx » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Polished strings are great with piezo pickup, wich tend to be sensitive to strings noise.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:38 pm

Halexx wrote:Polished strings are great with piezo pickup, wich tend to be sensitive to strings noise.
I can confirm that. On the other hand polished strings (depends on the brand) have their own kinds of noises that also can be quite annoying and that come through the piezzos well audibly.

Maybe the best thing I could do with piezzo was to use really old unpolished strings - they seem to produce the least noise ...

best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Halexx

Post by Halexx » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:03 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Halexx wrote:Polished strings are great with piezo pickup, wich tend to be sensitive to strings noise.
I can confirm that. On the other hand polished strings (depends on the brand) have their own kinds of noises that also can be quite annoying and that come through the piezzos well audibly.

Maybe the best thing I could do with piezzo was to use really old unpolished strings - they seem to produce the least noise ...

best wishes
Robert
Interesting, never notice it, could develop about it?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:39 am

Halexx wrote:... could develop about it?
Hello, you mean, I should say more?

I clean old bass strings with diluted ammonia (this has been posted here elsewhere in the forum) and then they sound quite good and are significantly less noisy than new strings (provided the strings are not mechanically broken, means the winding is still intact).

best wishes
Robert

rotary joint

Post by rotary joint » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:40 am

I recently tried La Bella 413 Studio with polished brass bass strings and found them dull and lifeless although smooth and quiet. When you lose interest in playing that's a sure sign, off they came. Guitar,spruce walnut.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Recently I tried a Svarez Alliance Polished, and they seem ways more alive than La Bella polished. But I'd use them only on my amplified guitar.

best wishes
Robert

joseplluis7

Post by joseplluis7 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:41 pm

Thank you all for your posts. I've got an alliance ht classic set, just to see the difference with the addarios. I'll tell you when I change them.

joseplluis7

Post by joseplluis7 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:50 pm

the addarios have such a long life!! I average 45 minutes of playing everyday. 5 months and still delivering a nice sound!! I wonder if the savarez will last that long.

joseplluis7

Post by joseplluis7 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:50 pm

I'm using the savarez alliance ht. the strings feel good. I like the trebles, thinner than the addarios I am used. I's a bit more metallic sound, but not that much. I think there's more sustain in the basses too, but it could be also due to the recent comparison with the dying addarios.

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:26 pm

EJ45LP - the lightly polished bass set.

I'd always wanted to ty these, kinda cool. The bronze-ish color and skinny D string freaked me out a little
but they feel nice matched up with Augustine Imperials. I can see the preference & non preference for these basses though.

What else is out there in polished bass strings? Anything new?

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:49 pm

acmost9 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:26 pm
EJ45LP - the lightly polished bass set.

I'd always wanted to ty these, kinda cool. The bronze-ish color and skinny D string freaked me out a little
but they feel nice matched up with Augustine Imperials. I can see the preference & non preference for these basses though.

What else is out there in polished bass strings? Anything new?
What are the Augustine Imperials made of?

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:49 pm

What are the Augustine Imperials made of?
Hhmmm...I dunno, nylon? hahah, not sure what goes into that. I go back & forth with these and the Augustine Classics lately.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”