about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
User avatar
ameriken
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:58 pm
Location: Westminster, Co USA

Re: about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by ameriken » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 pm

acmost9 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:26 pm
EJ45LP - the lightly polished bass set.

I'd always wanted to ty these, kinda cool. The bronze-ish color and skinny D string freaked me out a little
but they feel nice matched up with Augustine Imperials. I can see the preference & non preference for these basses though.

What else is out there in polished bass strings? Anything new?
I just finished a set of EJ45LP's, I thought they were fine, especially on my Burguet spruce top which is bright. It also has good volume and the squeaks of normal basses are a bit quite amplified, so the polished fit well. Trebles were sweet. I will say though the squeaks of normal basses are forcing me to finally refine my technique too.

I might try a set of 46LP's to see how they compare.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Scott Phillips
Posts: 2729
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by Scott Phillips » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:08 pm

acmost9 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:31 pm
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:49 pm


What are the Augustine Imperials made of?
Hhmmm...I dunno, nylon? hahah, not sure what goes into that. I go back & forth with these and the Augustine Classics lately.
I got a bad batch, three sets of Augustine classic red. They had approximately 4 inches of floppy loose wound section. I see SBM has them for like 5 bucks a set, so I try them again when I restrung my daughter in-law's guitar. This time I get hardly any loose wound string. YAY! they fixed it. Really though what's the difference with the trebled? Sorry highjacked thread.

Scott Phillips
Posts: 2729
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by Scott Phillips » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:18 am

When they say "coated" are they just talking about the basses right?

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 676
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Scania

Re: about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by joachim33 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:29 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:18 am
When they say "coated" are they just talking about the basses right?
That’s my understanding. At least for the D’Addario EXP46 set I had.

User avatar
acmost9
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:32 am

Re: about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by acmost9 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:58 am

Hi, sorry for the confusion, yes I'm just talking about the basses. I only bought the half set & paired them up with Augustine Imperials.
Peter's probably the guy to ask what the difference is between the Augustine Classic & Imperials is if that's what you're asking.
I switch back and forth. I can't decide on anything, seems I like to just give SBM a bunch of money hoping it'll make me play better. :)

User avatar
jhapgood
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 12:59 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re: about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by jhapgood » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:51 pm

I conducted an interesting experiment relating to "coated strings" recently which I'll share with the group since it relates to the topic of this thread. I purchased some pure silicone (to prep. amputees skin before they put on their artificial limbs). I got a new set of EJ-30 Rectified strings (I play flesh only) and got them up to pitch. Then I put a manila file folder under the strings to cover the fingerboard and guitar top and put small amount of the silicone on a medical pad, and wiped it up and down the strings. After getting them covered and letting it set for a little bit, I wiped them down with a clean microfiber rag-- "buffing" the surface of the strings.

The reason I treated the strings with the silicone "at pitch" is I wanted to get into all the surface area with the strings fully stretched. What I have noticed from this experiment is that the strings sound a little brighter overall than before, and I am not really convinced that it affected the string noise level in a significant way. I am hoping it extends the life of the bass strings a little bit, but we will see about that.

As a side note to my experiment, I now am using a very small amount of silicone solution on my RH fingertips and thumb, which has slightly improved my RH tone. Remember that I play flesh only.

I know it's a little "crazy" to have tried something like this, but that's never stopped me before!

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

User avatar
acmost9
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:32 am

Re: about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by acmost9 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:06 pm

ameriken wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 pm
acmost9 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:26 pm
EJ45LP - the lightly polished bass set.

I'd always wanted to ty these, kinda cool. The bronze-ish color and skinny D string freaked me out a little
but they feel nice matched up with Augustine Imperials. I can see the preference & non preference for these basses though.

What else is out there in polished bass strings? Anything new?
I just finished a set of EJ45LP's, I thought they were fine, especially on my Burguet spruce top which is bright. It also has good volume and the squeaks of normal basses are a bit quite amplified, so the polished fit well. Trebles were sweet. I will say though the squeaks of normal basses are forcing me to finally refine my technique too.

I might try a set of 46LP's to see how they compare.
That's cool. Please post if you try the 46LPs...I mean if you feel like it that is. :)

User avatar
ameriken
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:58 pm
Location: Westminster, Co USA

Re: about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by ameriken » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:30 pm

acmost9 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:06 pm
ameriken wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:51 pm
acmost9 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:26 pm
EJ45LP - the lightly polished bass set.

I'd always wanted to ty these, kinda cool. The bronze-ish color and skinny D string freaked me out a little
but they feel nice matched up with Augustine Imperials. I can see the preference & non preference for these basses though.

What else is out there in polished bass strings? Anything new?
I just finished a set of EJ45LP's, I thought they were fine, especially on my Burguet spruce top which is bright. It also has good volume and the squeaks of normal basses are a bit quite amplified, so the polished fit well. Trebles were sweet. I will say though the squeaks of normal basses are forcing me to finally refine my technique too.

I might try a set of 46LP's to see how they compare.
That's cool. Please post if you try the 46LPs...I mean if you feel like it that is. :)
Will do...eventually. :)

I'm also considering the 46TT's as I've tried the 45TT's and like them as well. I'm also looking at some of the Savarez line like the Cristals. Their polished are a bit pricey though.

Also I'm thinking about pairing 46LP basses with 46TT trebles.

Driving me nuts...so many strings, so little time!
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Scott Phillips
Posts: 2729
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by Scott Phillips » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:04 pm

jhapgood wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:51 pm
I conducted an interesting experiment relating to "coated strings" recently which I'll share with the group since it relates to the topic of this thread. I purchased some pure silicone (to prep. amputees skin before they put on their artificial limbs). I got a new set of EJ-30 Rectified strings (I play flesh only) and got them up to pitch. Then I put a manila file folder under the strings to cover the fingerboard and guitar top and put small amount of the silicone on a medical pad, and wiped it up and down the strings. After getting them covered and letting it set for a little bit, I wiped them down with a clean microfiber rag-- "buffing" the surface of the strings.

The reason I treated the strings with the silicone "at pitch" is I wanted to get into all the surface area with the strings fully stretched. What I have noticed from this experiment is that the strings sound a little brighter overall than before, and I am not really convinced that it affected the string noise level in a significant way. I am hoping it extends the life of the bass strings a little bit, but we will see about that.

As a side note to my experiment, I now am using a very small amount of silicone solution on my RH fingertips and thumb, which has slightly improved my RH tone. Remember that I play flesh only.

I know it's a little "crazy" to have tried something like this, but that's never stopped me before!

Kind Regards,

Joe
Where did you get the silicone? I was reading an interview with some famous bass player, I forget who it was, but he said that he hates the bright sound that he gets with new bass strings and he wipes pork grease on them and then wipes it off. This he said dulled the bright tone. Not quite the same situation as yours, but still unusual.

How did the tone improve with the silicone? In what way? Have you noticed any ill effect on your fretboard?

User avatar
jhapgood
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 12:59 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re: about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by jhapgood » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Laudiesdad69,

I acquired a bottle of Alps silicone skin lotion through the "big river" company, and a very little bit of it goes a long way. There has been no residual residue on the fretboard, but I don't really like the additional brightness that developed after applying it to the strings. And I didn't notice any real improvement in string noise with the silicone on the strings.

However I was quite pleased with the additional benefits of placing a small amount of the silicone lotion on my fingertips, massaging it in, letting it dry, wiping off the excess and then playing the guitar. It made for an improvement in the RH tone. This is really where the best use of the silicone could come in.

As I said, I'm a flesh only player, and I did receive some benefits from using the silicon on the fingertips... I will probably continue this practice going forward. I will warn you that the small bottle of silicone lotion was $18.00, but I could see this lasting as long as a year. Prior to the application of silicone, I use some of the fine micromesh and go over the surface of the fingertips to create a smoother surface on the skin. And I may add additional skin lotion as necessary if I notice a "dryness" or degradation to the tone, especially in dry conditions or if I am playing for a long period of time.

Kind Regards,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

Scott Phillips
Posts: 2729
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:56 pm

jhapgood wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:06 pm
Laudiesdad69,

I acquired a bottle of Alps silicone skin lotion through the "big river" company, and a very little bit of it goes a long way. There has been no residual residue on the fretboard, but I don't really like the additional brightness that developed after applying it to the strings. And I didn't notice any real improvement in string noise with the silicone on the strings.

However I was quite pleased with the additional benefits of placing a small amount of the silicone lotion on my fingertips, massaging it in, letting it dry, wiping off the excess and then playing the guitar. It made for an improvement in the RH tone. This is really where the best use of the silicone could come in.

As I said, I'm a flesh only player, and I did receive some benefits from using the silicon on the fingertips... I will probably continue this practice going forward. I will warn you that the small bottle of silicone lotion was $18.00, but I could see this lasting as long as a year. Prior to the application of silicone, I use some of the fine micromesh and go over the surface of the fingertips to create a smoother surface on the skin. And I may add additional skin lotion as necessary if I notice a "dryness" or degradation to the tone, especially in dry conditions or if I am playing for a long period of time.

Kind Regards,

Joe
I do something similar to what you do. I put bag balm on my finger tips every other night or so. It keeps the callouses soft and keeps them from drying out and cracking. We used to have cows, so it was always on hand.

User avatar
ameriken
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:58 pm
Location: Westminster, Co USA

Re: about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by ameriken » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:11 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:56 pm
so it was always on hand.
Pun intended? :D
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Scott Phillips
Posts: 2729
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: about 'polished' or 'coated' strings

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:13 pm

Freudian hand slip ha ha🤪

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”