brand of strings to buy

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
melodic boy

brand of strings to buy

Post by melodic boy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:27 am

what is the best, or a good brand of strings to buy as a replacement??

TedtheBear

Re: brand of strings to buy

Post by TedtheBear » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:21 am

melodic boy wrote:what is the best, or a good brand of strings to buy as a replacement??
When it comes to what strings are best for your guitar. It really is a rather personal matter. For instance, I prefer D'Addario EXP46, but there isnt much point is describing how EXP46's sound
for me , on my guitar, because you would have different results.
Why?
Because, its a very personal choice, and the results vary too much from player to player. Everybody's fingers/fingertips/nails/stroke/angle of attack are different. You could have several players play the same guitar with the same strings, and they would all sound different.
I recommend that you check out stringsbymail. You will learn about the different brands, tensions, etc.

andipesel

Re: brand of strings to buy

Post by andipesel » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:04 pm

TedtheBear wrote:
melodic boy wrote:what is the best, or a good brand of strings to buy as a replacement??
When it comes to what strings are best for your guitar. It really is a rather personal matter. For instance, I prefer D'Addario EXP46, but there isnt much point is describing how EXP46's sound
for me , on my guitar, because you would have different results.
Why?
Because, its a very personal choice, and the results vary too much from player to player. Everybody's fingers/fingertips/nails/stroke/angle of attack are different. You could have several players play the same guitar with the same strings, and they would all sound different.
I recommend that you check out stringsbymail. You will learn about the different brands, tensions, etc.
i do agree with you!

but to answer the question of melodic boy:
here are some brands wich i use:

Thomastik(i think that they are just in austria avaiable)
Elexir and
Savarez

staw

Post by staw » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:02 am

One of the best are: D'Addario, Savarez.

Alicat

Post by Alicat » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:11 pm

My guitar has always sounded it's best with D'Addario strings but it really is a matter of what is best for you.
Try either D'Addario or Savarez, see what you think. If you don't like them, then try another brand next time you restring. I used about 4 other brands before settling on D'Addario.

hoangle8

Post by hoangle8 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:41 am

Different guitars will behave differently with different strings. We also need to consider the player's fingers comfort with the strings tension.
Most CG pros that I know used D'Addario hard tension EJ46.
In my personal experience,( with a Lattice bracing guitar), I found the Savarez alliance or Thomastik work best : brighter / more sustain and retain that Spanish mellow sweetness.

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:55 pm

I didnt like the Thomastiks at all. They were like steel strings.
On top of that, the D string snapped in only 2 days.

I say get a sampler pack from Stringsbymail.

D'addario would be a nice nuetral choice to start with.

H

Poldy

Post by Poldy » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:07 pm

I always used D'addario strings, but just of curiosity I bought Hannabach and was really disapointed... I don't know, there is too much middle tone...

Next strings that I will buy are going to be La Bella strings. My friend is using them and his old and cheap guitar sounds beautyfull.

But as others said, you have to find the best strings for your own guitar...

cooledit

Post by cooledit » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:49 pm

hi, Melodic Boy

I like to use Hannabach Gold Very nice melow sounding would sound very good on a spruce soundboard.

If you have like red cedar or already have a deep sound then you could try the hannabach Silver.

you can try stringsbymail they have a large sortiment and are quite good prices.

Cooledit

getbachdude

Post by getbachdude » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:58 pm

I have always used D'Addario hard tension probably because that is what came on the guitar when I got it, and came with an extra set. But wanting to play with the tone on my guitar now that I'm back into lessons and studying I purchased several other manufactures’ strings in different tensions. I figure over the next few months I'll change them once a month and see how they sound. Its a slow process because you have to give them some time to settle in, but I think in the long run it will help me understand what I think sounds the best for the way I'm playing now.

That is my answer to your question on what are the best for your guitar. Go out and get a half-dozen sets of strings from different makers in different tensions, and find what you think sounds the best to you. It will take some time, but in the end two wonderful things will happen. You will learn to listen to yourself and your guitar much more closely for changes in sound. And two, your technique should improve because you will be listening to yourself much more closely. Something my teacher is always telling me I need to do.

Jon

instroke

Post by instroke » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:14 pm

My Older Cedar guitar has quite a dark and full body sound. So I find myself really enjoying the Savarez Alliance strings. They are a little brighter. I believe the trebles are a carbon material or something. The 3rd or G string is clear not tubby like I get from normal nylon strings. These strings last long time. The high e needs consistant tuning for about a week.
These strings seem to also have a slightly higher tension than more other nylon high tension strings.

The D'addario's sound muddy and the 3rd string does not have the clarity that I get from the Savarez Allaince. But I presume that has to do with the guitar that I have.

I will try the Gali T's most likely next.

If your guitar has a darker sound give any of the carbon trebles a try...
you might be surprised at how well they perform.

pigam

Post by pigam » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:45 pm

D'adario for me

davina

When I can, I like to mix strings

Post by davina » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:21 pm

When I can, I like to mix strings. I love the Savarez basses, but for the top strings, I prefer LaBella or D'Addario. The Savarez trebles "E" and "B" sound too brittle, not sweet enough on my guitar. I am always open to try new recipes, though, if anyone has suggestions. Here we get Thomastik for strings (violin, viola, cello, bass). I was unaware that they made guitar strings. It would be interesting to try them.
On my old Kohno, all Savarez worked fine.

ljerams

Post by ljerams » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:47 pm

Yes, another D'Addario man here. I like the composites which are more expensive but stay in tune better after they have settled down.

My big problem is knowing when to change them. Somehow they seem to sound good when they look a bit worse for wear :?

Juozas

Post by Juozas » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:07 am

In my opinion, best strings is D'Addario, but it's very hard to find them in my country, luckily I found a solution. Now, I'm using Albert Augustine strings and I'm satisfied with my guitar sound.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”