brand of strings to buy

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Dpepe79

Strings HANNABACH GOLDIN

Post by Dpepe79 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:03 pm

I have been doing a lot of experimenting with strings. I have found that it is not only brand name but have found a big differnce in line the company offers. I used to think D'addario Composites were great because I liked them for my electric. When it comes to classical there is a big difference. I recently tried Hannabach strings. First I tried the basic silver line. Sounded the same as any other I tried.

Then I tried the Goldin line. They are a mix of gold wound alloy for the bass strings and carbon for the treble. It was not hard to hear the difference. Usually I just point out my experiences versus being pushy but do yourself a favor and try these strings. They are about $17.95 but even after two months they still sound better then any new set of any other string I have ever tried.

currykev

Post by currykev » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:10 pm

Always used to use Augustine blues but recently haven't been happy with them; they now seem a lot more dull rather than the lovely bright metallic sound I used to love!
So........I've recently tried the hard tension D'Addario EJ46, and like so many others here , I am impressed, although it took a few days for the first 3 nylons to 'brighten up'. I also found that with a bit of online shopping you can get these for about £4 inc P+P!

Father Jack

Post by Father Jack » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:03 pm

Yet another D'addario man here. I took an immediate liking to the J51 recording strings. Less string/finger noise and a really clean sound. You pay a bit more for them, but on 2 hours practise a day they should last 4 months before the sound dies slightly. I could never keep my guitar in tune with Savarez for some strange reason and I had a dead G that wouldn't tune properly!!??

Dpepe79

brand to try

Post by Dpepe79 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:02 pm

I used to be a fan of D'addario composites which have a composite G string until I tried Hannabach Goldin strings. I tried the silver line by Hannabach but they just do not compare to the Gold which is why they are $17.95US a set. They are very unique and sound great. Like I see other people had said, each guitar and player will react differently.

The trebles are made of yellow super carbon and the bass are gold wound. The D'addario EX46 are coated which make them last long but I was never a fan of the Elixar stings so I was reluctant to spend the cash on them.

I would say to try both The D'addarios recommended by others and the Hannabach Goldin.

MickeyD

Strings

Post by MickeyD » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:25 pm

Depends on the sound you want, the guitar you have, and the music you play. Harder tension strings render brighter tones, and a bigger, fatter sound. Softer tensions strings are faster, allowing you more dexterity. It´s easier to play flamenco runs or baroque trills on the softer tension strings, but you sacrifice a certain amount of tonal quality. Savarez are good hard tension strings, but for my money, they´re a little expensive, and too much hard work. D'addario are O.K. I use La Bella regular 850 classical guitar strings, but I think the 950 Concert series are a little better. But try different brands and experiment. Getting there is half the fun.

jmmxg

Post by jmmxg » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:01 am

I am a D'addario man also, and have enjoyed using the J51 recording strings for years. As I was in the process of learning a technique that created less string and finger noise, these strings helped along the way. I put many hours on these strings...maybe more than I should, but they are worth trying if you want to experiment.

stageseven

Post by stageseven » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:33 pm

I personally use Augustine Blue Regals because of all the strings I tried, they have consistently sounded the best on my good guitar. I really like the fact that Augustine lets you mix and match their treble and bass sets so you can get the right balance for your guitar.

cjdlx

Post by cjdlx » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:30 pm

D'Addario, Savarez,but I think the best is GALLI,

BEST
C

flashchudder

Post by flashchudder » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:31 pm

i think the d'addario are a great beginner to intermediate string, they produce quality sound w/ little or no finesse required by the player. simply, you dont have to have perfect technique to get a good sound. i just tried the la bella extra hard tension(silver) and found them to be a little too sensitive. if you have great rest stroke technique, they sound full and rich w/ great projection and tone. but if you are playing a complicated line and cant control your stroke, the melody seems to fade very quick behind the bass strings. so i guess im still looking....

instroke

Post by instroke » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:38 pm

Savarez 540j's, every string, I've tried other than these Savarez 540's I loose interest in playing as other strings do not sing out as well.

Other strings, I've tried were Hannabach 815, Galli T's, Savarez crystall, but the Alliance 540 just give me the inspiration to play more cause they sing!

The only other string that I might consider is the Hannabach Super Carbons...
But for now the 540 will stay on my guitar.

joeshie

Post by joeshie » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:19 am

For my guitar I prefer LaBella 2001 for inexpensive strings (in the U.S.).
Galli Titanium and Henze Carbon strings are awesome, but quite expensive.
Savarez Corum Alliance are great too.
D'Addario are very consistent and affordable, but not fantastic strings in my opinion.

I do not like Thomastik ar Elixir at all on my guitar.

Harry Guitar

Post by Harry Guitar » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:08 pm

I have found that different brand strings sound better on different makers' guitars. After much (and often painful) experimentation, I have found that my working guitar (the one that goes out of the house most often) a Kenny Hill Munich with a spruce top sounds like the angelic choir when I use Augustine Imperial trebles and D'Addario EXP46 basses. My Ramirez 1A cedar top (!976) sounds great with straight D'Addarios (I will sometimes goto the 45's when feeling my age, but prefere the 46's.) Galli Titanio's are too bright for the Hill, but sound amazing on a 1978 Washburn Master Classic Hauser model (spruce) that I use for students. So it isn't even just a question of top wood.

I bought a vast assortment of strings thru StringsByMail -- the only way to buy, in my humble opinion. I'm still plowing through these. I'll post other results, though I can't imagine my Hill sounding any better than it does with the current string combo as listed above.

Harry

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”