Pyramid and Dr Junger with nylon strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Gaspere

Pyramid and Dr Junger with nylon strings

Post by Gaspere » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:25 pm

I am looking for something along the lines of Hannabach´s 900/200 but with a bit brighter trebles, but still nylon and, preferably at a lower cost.

Anyone has compared 900/ 200 with Pyramid with nylon and Dr Junger ditto?

Gaspere

Re: Pyramid and Dr Junger with nylon strings

Post by Gaspere » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:10 pm

I installed Dr Junger Aristona SN hard tension on a new spruce guitar. The guitar is phenomenal and everything sounds good from it so my perception is coloured by that fact. However, these strings are by far the best that I´ve had on it (including Augustin, Aranjuez, ProArte and La Bella Argento).

They are described as cross wound basses with Active nylon trebles. All the strings are slightly thinner than hard tension normally is. They also feel softer, even much softer. This is due to the flexibility of the material according to Dr J.

The cross wound basses are made so in order to wear less on the fingers. They are focussed and clean sounding and have a bit of brillance - more than ProArte but much less than Hannabach. After about 25 hours of playing they already look a bit worn and I doubt if they will last much more than a week more.
The trebles, Active nylon, can become extremely alive, especially the G-string. They are very special nylon strings in that they are rounded and still clear, clean but with body, and practically no hard plastic attack sound otherwise so common in nylon strings. The sound separation is really good. They are also challenging to play because they can play very softly and quite loud too.

I find this set of strings to be the most reactive of silver wound nylon string sets that I´ve ever played. They are always interesting and very true to the intention of the player.
Last edited by Gaspere on Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Gaspere

Interesting review thanks. I have some Aristona in my string stash awaiting a trial. I am interested now to pull them out and give them a go,

Peter

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm grateful for the "String Geek Squad" (Gaspere, Petermc61 ...), testing new exotic strings with good reports for most of us who have neither the patience nor the passion required. Keep up the good works, guys!

es335

Post by es335 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi gaspere,

Just out of curiosity I would like to know if all three trebles of your Aristiona SN Nylon set are actually Nylon strings?

My Aristona SN normal tension set arrived with a Carbon third! Dr. Junger's didn't respond verbaly to my claim but sent two Carbon thirds and Nylon seconds?! :?

But considering your review I think they will get their chance on my next string replacement! :D

Gaspere

Post by Gaspere » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:09 pm

Well, there is no indication that the third string is of a different material, judging by the the looks or by the description. But I have to say that it is a very odd string. It feels very soft. They all feel soft but G more so. Moreover, when I say that it can be very alive, then that´s actually what I mean. It is a string that can sound no good but when you get into it, playing it and the guitar begins to "swing", the G string changes character and becomes alive. Sounds silly, I know, but how else to say it?

I am glad that you guys appreciate the note. A comment follows on the Pyramid tomorrow. I´ve had a fantastic week with these two sets on my two spruce guitars. They are very different strings but both really good. They changed the practice to an enriching and stimulating "can do" situation.

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:55 am

Gaspere wrote:Well, there is no indication that the third string is of a different material, judging by the the looks or by the description. But I have to say that it is a very odd string. It feels very soft. They all feel soft but G more so. Moreover, when I say that it can be very alive, then that´s actually what I mean. It is a string that can sound no good but when you get into it, playing it and the guitar begins to "swing", the G string changes character and becomes alive. Sounds silly, I know, but how else to say it?...
What about the diameter? Significant thicker than B or marginal to equivalent. The visual appearance of my Carbon G doesn't differ significantly from the first and second string. I only realized that as the stamped ID on the label drew my attention as it was quite irritating.

The ID number was compliant with the rest of the set but in addition it said "Carbon" and "A" (string)?!?! :shock:

Anyway I will try them asap although I'm quite content with my 10PH/HB 815 LT combination for my spruce tops! :D

es335

Post by es335 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:59 am

Gaspere wrote:... They all feel soft but G more so. ...
That's most likely the answer to my question above! Checked my Aristona SN NT set yesterday and the Carbon G3 feels significantly softer than the Nylon B2 and E1! So it looks like Aristona SN string feature a Carbon third as standard! Just wonder why Dr. Junger is reluctant to disclose that, provided I'm right of course! :wink:

Nevertheless I couldn't avoid to slap them on my ten string yesterday evening, my main guitar recently!

The first impressions are: Much softer than 10PH/815LT (reminds me of Dogal 127b), stabilize quite fast (incl. G3), very excellent (!!!) G3 string (probably the best I tried!), well balanced in tone and tension but with a significant drop in volume. I'm not thrilled but their actual performance defintily justifies to wait how they develope over the next days!

The crosswound A5 and E6 have a very smooth and pleasant feel and are IMO a very nice alternative for anti-/low-squeek strings. Not as lively as the conventional wound D4 but well contoured and by no means "muddy". HB's have more "weight" but that could be a volume issue and might change over time.

Regardless of this I will transfer the test on my Kohno next week as I suspect the ten string was not be the best choice for this?! :?

Gaspere

Post by Gaspere » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:41 am

Hi es335.

The individual envelopes that DR J uses for packing strings are individually stamped on the back with a description of the contents. On my packs it says nylon on the all the treble strings, so I´d assume that nylon is what it is.

I´d be interested in hearing if you think that the separation is unusually good in the active nylon strings. It is on my guitar.
I am going to put the next set on the other spruce top which presently has Pyramid strings to check.

Cheers

Gaspere

Post by Gaspere » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:11 am

On a good spruce top I´ve had Pyramid Super Classics Double Silver medium tension for about 12 days, playing them some 2-3 hours a day.

The sound is centered and firm and smooth. It took a day or two for the strings to settle in, much like Hannabach, and the tension feels like hard despite being medium. After some 30 hours they still look and play impeccably.

The bass strings are velvety with some body and some brilliance, but harmony seems to be the goal of the maker more than prominence of any one feature. Tuned down to D the 6th string retains its clear definition and still after 30 hours has a bouncy and stróng tone.

The trebles are thick and work like a whole, also with the basses. They are not at all edgy or have plastic sound to them. They are in the vein of EJ46 but with more punch and character. They are on the dark side and work very well on a bright and well defined spruce top. The G string might have just a touch of the less desirable characteristic that could be described as the sound of broken glass, shards moving in a bucket. But only sometimes and not so much that I can´t steer clear of it.

The strings are a high quality product with a middle of the road sound, leaning towards dark, smooth and velvety. I suppose the Sterling Silver strings would be a good alternative to the basses to make them last long time and perhaps provide a bit more brilliance.

Overall they are highly recommendable and I´ll buy a load of them, for the nylons. A serious competitor to Hannabach´s 900/200, unlike Dr Jungers Aristona with Active Nylon which is a great alternative but not a string that tries to achive the same kind of sound.

They are on sale in SBM with a 30% discount right now.

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:39 am

Gaspere wrote:Hi es335.

The individual envelopes that DR J uses for packing strings are individually stamped on the back with a description of the contents. On my packs it says nylon on the all the treble strings, so I´d assume that nylon is what it is.

I´d be interested in hearing if you think that the separation is unusually good in the active nylon strings. It is on my guitar.
I am going to put the next set on the other spruce top which presently has Pyramid strings to check.

Cheers
Hi Gaspere

Thanks for sharing, that's interresting to hear. Mine were individually stamped as well but showed 416 203 A - La - Carbon! I just ordered another high tension set and am excited to see, what this will contain. Despite that the price of 12,50€ for a set was a nice surprise!

Anyway the Carbon third of my NT set is really excellent and matches the other strings very well.

The separation of the NT set is good but the tension is really low which makes it very difficult to compare. Opposed to the previous post I will keep them my ten string. Much more comfortable, superb intonation and stability and a better match with the bronze wound Aranjuez 7th string. The previous HB815LT are way too powerful. Anyway thanks for this good suggestion. Dr. Junger was overdue to be considered! :D

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:01 am

All Pyramids strings are on sale at SBM, 30% off. Sale ends Monday 12/02/2013 11:59 PM EST. I just bought a few sets of sterling silvers.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:58 am

gaspere and es335

I think the Dr Junger labelling is quite confusing as is the product range. This may just be the English descriptions, given the company's native language is German.

Having sad that I find the errant carbon string mentioned above amusing. The Aristona SN should definitely be an all nylon set so it looks like a packing error. They sell a mixed (nylon and carbon g set) but this has its own model description (Supersona mixed, from memory).

It is also a bit confusing since there are two types of nylon string. A plain nylon in the more basic sets and "Aktiv-nylon" in the more expensive sets. This is described as smoother and more flexible etc which probably accounts for the nice feel reported above. I emailed Dr Junger sometime ago hoping for a little more information on the differences in the two nylon strings but the reply was not terribly helpful. Kerstin Junger simply advised me that "active nylon has a better working g-3. string'. Hence these were the nylons I bought.

Regards

Peter

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:00 am

bacsidoan wrote:All Pyramids strings are on sale at SBM, 30% off. Sale ends Monday 12/02/2013 11:59 PM EST. I just bought a few sets of sterling silvers.
Thanks bacsiodoan

Thanks for that - at the offered price I could not resist stocking up. Hint to others: this is a serious, serious sterling silver string set for $17....don't have regrets later for not trying a set.

Peter

Gaspere

Post by Gaspere » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:07 pm

Peter,

what do you to say about the tension of the Silver Sterling strings?

The Double Silver moderate tension grew rather hard after just a few days. I normally use hard tension strings and bought medium by mistake, but they are tense enough I think. Any comment on the Sterling?

BTW, the price offered by SBM is good but if Europeans order them we may be unlucky and have to pay another 25% VAT and so the price is almost the same as Schneider offers.

Cheers

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”