An excellent review and conclusion which I do second! I very much appreciate you did this pioneer work on DrJ Nylon strings, as this finally made me find at least the ideal trebles for my tenstring and a serious alternative for my preferences HB 815 LT and 10PH.
Anyway I received the hard tension Aristona SN today and this confirmed at least for their NT and HT sets that the Active Nylon trebles are identical with diameters of 0.70 / 0.80 /1.00 mm which in terms of dimension is rather on the light than the heavy side of the Nylon spectrum.
But again I'm confronted with a logistics quality issue ... wonder what might be wrong with me?
- The diameters of the HT treble set are 0.70 / 0.81 / 0.84 (!) mm.
- The NT Nylon G string which I additionally ordered for testing instead of the Carbon third of the NT set has 1.00 mm!
Looks like the G string of the HT set is either a rather thick Nylon B or this time an undercover Carbon G string!?!?
Concerning the tension John received from DrJ I consider them very irritating, in particular as they are in contradiction with some objective physical facts:
- all diamaters are smaller than EJ45 for instance: 0.70 vs. 0.711 mm; 0.80 vs. 0.818 mm; 1.00 vs. 1.024 mm
- Active Nylon strings' density should be close to the average as they only differ in the production process
- string tension increases quadratic with the diameter
I of course do not question Peter's observation as he's one of the most experienced and profiled string experts here! But compared to my previous 10PH set with a nominal tension rating of 7.6 / 6.0 / 5.8 kg @ 655 mm scale (!) which is lower than DrJ's trebles, they do feel significant softer.
Considering one of Peter's other posts I in particular payed attention to cords and compared to the previous 10PH it is evidently much more easier now! Though I can't comment how the they compare to EJ45 and must admit that they harden up and there are other factors beyond pure physical charateristics of the strings influencing the subjective tension feeling.
Anyway I will replace the 10PH/815LT set of my Kohno with DrJ HT this weekend and am exited about the experiences on this guitar.