Daniel Mari strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
petermc61

Re: Daniel Mari strings

Post by petermc61 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:16 am

Thanks es335, I just ordered 6 sets from Ostrie. I am not sure exactly which guitar I'll try them on. I also have the Hannabach Exclusive and the basses from Aquila Alchemia on my 'to be evauluated ' queue. Latest set I have tried is the Dr Junger Aristona low tension with the 'double wound' basses...interesting...... :-)

Peter

rounie

Post by rounie » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi Peter,

Please let me know the feedback on the Mari strings, interested to try as well..

Regards/Rounie
Let Music Unite All............
Richard Howell No.408 Cedar/Indian-2007

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:50 pm

I have used different Daniel Mari strings (guitar and oud) and they are very good, indeed, rather on the lighter tension side of the spectrum. The bass strings are stiffer than many other brands which yields an interesting overtone spectrum. Their durability is medium in my experience. Bill Ostrie is a very kind guy and the shipping fee to Germany is absolutely moderate.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents
My homepage is: https://www.live-arts.de

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:09 pm

rojarosguitar wrote: The bass strings are stiffer than many other brands which yields an interesting overtone spectrum.
Robert

More clarity on what you mean by 'interesting' would he helpful.

Peter

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:38 am

Stiffer wound strings seem to deviate a bit more from purely harmonic overtones than more flexible strings, and that adds some 'spice' to the tone. Difficult to describe, but when you try (not going to break your account :wink: ) you will know immediately what I mean. Daniel Mari are not the only stiffer wound basses, but (as I remember them) one of the stiffest I have ever encountered.
Best
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:58 am

Thanks Robert - all understood. My sets are reportedly in transit so I am hoping to provide some commentary in the next couple of weeks (unless I get distracted back onto saddles!)

Regards
Peter

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:35 pm

Well, my Mari 100p arrived today. Quick. 6 days from USA to Australia.

I fitted the treble strings only (so far) to a spruce Papazian in place of some La Bella low tension rectified nylons.

The La Bella strings were comfortable to play but not with the treble overtones I like and that scratchy noise on the left hand. They were bugging me.

First impressions (within 2 hours if fitting). Brighter, open, lots of dynamic range, good sustain, excellent intonation. Only drawback so far is they don't have the depth of tonal colour of the rectified strings (well, not yet. Let's see how they settle down over the next 24 hrs or so.) They also feel higher than medium tension to me.

Peter

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:47 am

Second impression - one day and maybe 2 hours play time later. The treble strings are certainly very good. They are brighter rather than warmer (for nylon, certainly warmer than carbon). I normally change out my G string for a carbon when using nylon trebles but this one holds its own.

Overall, they quite remind me of the Dr Junger nylon Aristona strings. That means they are good..... :-)

Peter

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:14 am

Now, Peter, the real surprise is in the basses ... I'm curious what you will think of them!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:30 am

Hi Robert

I have fitted the basses and they have just settled down. 30 mins play time only. First impressions are fast, bright, open sounding strings. They sound more like Savarez Cantiga than EJ45 for example.

I find the d and a strings fairly tense, the bottom e a bit less so. Overall the tension of the basses and trebles match quite well but the whole set feels higher tension than a 'medium tension' set.

One curious thing - I notice a bit more left hand noise on the bass strings than some other strings. Maybe I am just playing badly today could be the other reason for that....

If I had to characterise the whole set I would say open, clear, bright, excellent intonation - but a set to my ear probably better for Bach than trying to milk emotion for Llobet.

Of course, my opinion might change over coming days as they continue to settle down and I continue to get used to them.

Peter

Nylonstringer

Post by Nylonstringer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:13 pm

Just been reading up on all responses and i noticed nobody has encountered Daniel Mari 400 w strings yet. For the past fortnight i have allowed these strings to settle. These strings remind me alot of La bella 427's but with a bit more tension. Basses are good but not outstanding, trebles i think are very good. Only negative for me is the treble diameter, its way too thin for my liking. All in all they are good strings with a nice balanced tone
Regards
Terry

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:17 pm

Peter, let them sit a night or two. They are bright, so obviously they tend to project the noise stronger, too. But their brightness is very special ... That's what I called 'interesting' ...

Leo

Post by Leo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:22 am

es335 wrote:
The gauges of the strings are very odd. Normal to medium tension on low and high e (0.71/1.08), a rather thick b (0.85), a very thin g (0.99), a super thick D (0.79) and a rather thick A (0.89). BTW their gauges are different from Ramirez Medium tension strings. This combination is really unique but the lucky coincident is, that my individual string combinations had been very much in this direction!
Many people complain about the tubbyness of the g string, so these thicknesses make sense. The g being thinner than most g strings should give this string more brightness than most g strings. The d string being thicker than most d strings would give this string a deeper sound than most d strings and also help to balance the transition from g to d.

Well thought out string thicknesses, for the evenness of sound in my opinion. I will need to try these strings out in the near future :wink:
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S

Leo

Post by Leo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:26 pm

Finally tried a set of Mari 100p strings. They replaced a set of Augustine Imperial trebles with a carbon G string. The Imperials were very good, and maybe a bit richer in tone than the Mari stings. I think the Mari strings are a bit brighter, and probably the most clear sounding of any nylon strings I have ever tried, and the G string is not nearly as tubby sounding as most other nylons. The main guitar that I play can sound bass heavy and muddy in the trebles with the wrong strings. I have tried carbon trebles and they helped with brightness and clarity, but after playing carbons for a long time, I noticed that they did not have that certain richness of sound that nylon strings have.

Thanks to es335 and Peter for recommending these strings for guitars that are somewhat bass heavy. The bass strings are also very good and match the trebles well. Overall, theses are the best complete set of nylon strings that I have tried so far, for this specific guitar. :D
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:02 pm

Glad they worked well for you Leo!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”