Daniel Mari strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Leo

Re: Daniel Mari strings

Post by Leo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:09 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:Stiffer wound strings seem to deviate a bit more from purely harmonic overtones than more flexible strings, and that adds some 'spice' to the tone. Difficult to describe, but when you try (not going to break your account :wink: ) you will know immediately what I mean. Daniel Mari are not the only stiffer wound basses, but (as I remember them) one of the stiffest I have ever encountered.
Best
Robert
I think I know what you mean, I can feel the deep vibration, almost a growl, of the bass strings. The vibration seams to resonate deep in the guitar and I feel the vibration/pulsation being transmitted to my body like no other bass string that I have tried before.

Leo
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S

petermc61

Daniel Mari strings

Post by petermc61 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi Robert/Leo

I never thought of the strings as particularly stiff. They might be but they are not at all uncomfortable to play. They certainly are bright and responsive.

Peter

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:29 am

I just had my first ever Mari experience on my Christopher Dean Santos copy. Purchased at a Swiss web source I put them on yesterday evening and I am really impressed. The basses are a kind of neutral, very similar to Dogal, strong and mellow, but no metallic or canny tone at all. Let's see how long they keep their pleasant character without getting dull. Biggest surprise are the nylon trebles, which are quite unique and remind me of real gut strings with much smoothness and schmaltz, without any carbon-like abundance of sharpness. The Maris seem to be made for historical models like mine or real vintage guitars -a joy to play. As medium tension was sold out I ordered the last set available in high tension, which is stiffer then my regular normal tension sets. I would prefer the mediums.
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

Misfit Minstrel

Post by Misfit Minstrel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Has anybody tried the 300LT (light tension) flamenco strings? If so what is your experience with a classical guitar?
I like the light tension strings from Pyramid and La Bella and would like to try these Daniel Mari 300LTs if others have had good experiences with those.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:45 pm

Misfit Minstrel wrote:Has anybody tried the 300LT (light tension) flamenco strings? If so what is your experience with a classical guitar?
I like the light tension strings from Pyramid and La Bella and would like to try these Daniel Mari 300LTs if others have had good experiences with those.
I had them on my Stenzel flamenca and I quite liked them, though they were a bit too light for that particular guitar.

Considering the price certainly worth trying - nothing much lost, if you don't like them...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents
My homepage is: https://www.live-arts.de

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:04 am

So I have a question for Peter: are you apt to continue to use the Mari strings? Do you prefer them to the Dogals you use, or do they rather complement them in some way?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:40 am

Polifemo de Oro wrote:So I have a question for Peter: are you apt to continue to use the Mari strings? Do you prefer them to the Dogals you use, or do they rather complement them in some way?
Yes, I still use them. Are they better than Dogal? Depends on the guitar. Let me explain....

I have too may guitars and the strings I use on them varies. Having said that there are certain strings and trends I observe across all instruments. Firstly, I never use carbon strings for high e and b. I just find them too bright and my technique (or lack of it) does nothing musical with them. Don't like their feel and tension either. So for these strings I either use Dogal hybrid or nylon. Dogal works really well on a few guitar such as the old Kohno I just sold. Other guitars, not necessarily. Amongst nylon strings the Mari, Augustine Imperial and Dr Junger Aktiv Nylon are all pretty damn good. Amongst them if you asked for a generic recommendation rather than a guitar-specific recommendation the Mari then the Augustine would be my picks.

G string - Mari is very good (outstanding for nylon) but I am at least as likely to go for a sweet carbon e.g Knobloch, Galli.

Bass strings - the Mari are very clean, very bright and full of colour. If your bottom ends needs life or tightening then a great choice. If you bottom needs weight and warmth then probably not (think Corum, Dynacore instead). The Mari and Savarez Cantiga basses are good string choices if cost is a possible issue. Without cost constraints the Pyramid Sterling Silver strings are my first choice.

Cheers

Peter

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:32 pm

Thanks, Peter. I'll take this info to the bank!

I recently replaced the strings on my new Marín and I had a few sets of Augustine Regal Blues, which I had always liked in the past, so I put a set on this guitar and I did not like the way they sounded nor felt on it, surprisingly. They felt suddenly too highly-tensioned to me and they seemed to darken the sound of the instrument. So, I took them off a day later and put a set of Dogals (Diamante-Strongs) on and they seem to work much better on this particular guitar. I was not all that impressed with the Dogals when I had tried them before, but they work great in some instances, I am finding.

Maybe there is something to all of this string "fetishism" as I like to call it! Or, maybe, participating in Delcamp is starting to make me a lot more neurotic than I already am! :lol:
Last edited by Polifemo de Oro on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Misfit Minstrel

Post by Misfit Minstrel » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Thanks Robert, I will probably try those 300LTs pretty soon.

About the bass strings: how does the Maris compare to Augustines? Normal tension/light tension that I might be using - don't care too much about the higher tension basses nor trebles.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:27 am

Well, I finally received my sets of Mari 100p strings. I thought I would see for myself what all the fuss has been about.

The trebles are delightful; they are supple under the fingers and throw out many nice harmonics and sound sweet.

The basses feel stiff and hard. They also sound much duller than I had imagined they would. They are not supple; they are not fun to play. They do not produce the magical upper partials that others have apparently been in a swoon over. I put them on my '62 Fleta, so if any one of my guitars would ring like a bell it would be that particular guitar.

Overall, the strings feel a bit higher tensioned to me than their medium-tension designation would indicate. And, overall, I believe Augustine Imperials to be a much superior string set.

That is all. Sorry that I could not concur with the raves. But, I rarely do.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:32 am

The bass strings are bright. It may just be that they don't suit the Fleta. Your description of the treble strings is pretty much what I hear.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:46 pm

The bass strings are bright. It may just be that they don't suit the Fleta.
I had a set of the Hannabach Silver 200s on her right beforehand and they sounded much brighter. I now also have these Hannabachs on my new Marín and they really sparkle on that guitar as well. I just wished they weren't so damned expensive.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:57 pm

Polifemo de Oro wrote:
The bass strings are bright. It may just be that they don't suit the Fleta.
I had a set of the Hannabach Silver 200s on her right beforehand and they sounded much brighter. I now also have these Hannabachs on my new Marín and they really sparkle on that guitar as well. I just wished they weren't so damned expensive.
I have done the exact same comparison....and got the opposite results!!! Life is probably too short to try and figure out why.

Back to my main advice here and elsewhere - it is the Mari trebles that are the killer strings in my view.

Polifemo de Oro

Post by Polifemo de Oro » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:14 pm

Back to my main advice here and elsewhere - it is the Mari trebles that are the killer strings in my view.
Oh, I agree completely--the Mari trebles are really nice. I love the way they sound and play. I wish I liked the basses better. I will see what they sound like on my other guitars.

I don't know why we are having such differing results! Where you live, Peter, is it predominantly a dry climate? Humid? I would imagine you maintain strict humidity control inside your playing room at any rate. My environment in the mountains of northern California is dry for the most part. Who knows? Too many variables--especially once you throw in our particular guitars. Then, there is the question of our particular ears! :mrgreen:

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:44 am

I do recommend to be a little bit more patient with the DM basses. Opposed to the trebles which settle very quick, the basses take much longer (1 week +). They become a bit more flexible with time, though I do agree that they are more on the bright side of the spectrum.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”