Aquila Rubino

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
yossarian83

Aquila Rubino

Post by yossarian83 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:30 am

Has anyone heard or tried these strings yet? Am I understanding correctly that they are all supposed to be the same gauge but different densities?

http://www.aquilacorde.com/news-and-eve ... no-series/

Jeff Kross

Re: Aquila Rubino

Post by Jeff Kross » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:12 pm

So it appears. But I'm not finding them available yet on any online sites, such as Strings by Mail or Just Strings. I'd be interested to learn how these sound and, even more intriguing, how they feel under the fingers.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:53 pm

schneidermusik does carry them.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:45 pm

I bought three sets direct from the aquilacorde.com website. It's fairly straightforward as there is an English version of the site (though their email acknowledgement etc it in Italian - and I did find I had to use site search to find the strings). The current price of the strings is €12.50 and I think they charged €3 postage.
yossarian83 wrote:Am I understanding correctly that they are all supposed to be the same gauge but different densities?
This is the claim on their website, and the poster here, viewtopic.php?f=43&t=92687&p=987172 also makes the same comment:
Echi wrote:Just to give you a clue of what they are about: instead of gradually increasing the diameter of the strings (from E to B to G) Peruffo though to change the density of the polymer of the strings ending by having the 3 acute strings at the same diameter but different density!! So with Rubino you have a G string of the same diameter of the E and B and finally a G strings with the very same strength of the high E.
However this claim does not appear to be true. The treble strings are maroon in colour; the bass strings are conventionally wound strings in appearance. The amount of variation in diameter from one string to the next for both trebles and basses is less than for some other sets, but they do vary. Indeed if they did not it would be almost impossible to string a guitar correctly with them as they are packed in a bundle rather than individually and it is only the variation in diameter that allows you to tell them apart. However the gauge is not given and I do not have a micrometer, so all I can say is that they are thinner than many other sets (an appear to be of normal tension, though this is not given either).

The treble strings are more rigid than nylon trebles, resembling the consistency of the D'Addario composite third string.

My immediate impression on stringing up with them is that the tone is very consistent across all the treble strings and the bass string tone is less bright than some other brands appear when first strung up, the bass E being slightly duller than the A - but overall they feel (so far) a well-balanced set.

I will comment further when I have played them in a bit.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Jeff Kross

Post by Jeff Kross » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:27 pm

Please do, Eric; I'd be interested to hear. Although I'm presently happy with my Savarez Alliance/Cantiga or D'Addario carbon sets and generally am not one of those to go chasing the mythological holy grail, these strings sound intriguing. At least as not yet strung up on my guitar, anyway.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:30 pm

OK, after a few days playing the initial impression of a well-balanced set is confirmed. Overall they are quite soft in tone, more nylon-like than carbon-like with a good tonal balance between treble and bass. There is still a noticeable difference in tone as you progress from string 1 to 2 to 3, but it is considerably less than is often noticeable in nylon sets and the sudden change in tone between 2 and 3 that is so often noticeable is definitely avoided.

Intonation on strings 1 and 2 and the basses is good, but when I first put the set on the G string, unusually, was about 10 cents flat at the 12th fret and noticeably flat by the 5th fret. I was a bit puzzled by this as the usual problem with some G strings is that they are too sharp up the fingerboard. (On my guitar D'Addario composite high tension 3rds are usually problematic in this respect, though the normal tension composite 3rd is ok.)

In view of this problem, today I tried reversing the 3rd string and that seems to have improved the situation; it's now a few cents sharp at the 12th, but within tolerable limits. That suggests, I suppose, some lack of consistency either in the diameter of the string or the density of the material - perhaps it was just bad luck with that particular string.

As for the dimensions of the strings, I managed to get hold of a micrometer, so I was able to compare the string diameters with a normal tension D'Addario set (diameters in mm):

D'Addario:
1) 0.71; 2) 0.82; 3) 1.02; 4) 0.74; 5) 0.89; 6) 1.09
Rubino:
1) 0.66; 2) 0.78; 3) 0.94; 4) 0.71; 5) 0.87 6) 1.06

Focussing on strings 1 - 3:
in the D'Addario set, string 2 is 15% thicker than string 1 and string 3 is 24% thicker than string 2;
in the Rubino set, string 2 is 18% thicker than string 1 and string 3 is 21% thicker than string 2.

This reinforces my earlier comment about the discrepancy between what is claimed by Aquila and what the strings are actually like, although it does look as if the increment of diameter from 1 to 2 to 3 is more even for the Rubinos than for the D'Addarios. I don't have any way of measuring the tension; I mentioned earlier they feel like normal tension strings - today I might revise that and say normal/light tension; the 1st string tension feels higher than 2 and 3 which feel about the same.

Having said all this, do I like the strings? Yes, so far I do - easy to get a nice tone out of them and easy to get tonal variation.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),

Jeff Kross

Post by Jeff Kross » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:44 pm

Thanks for the report, Eric. Interesting. If they're ever carried by Strings by Mail (as opposed to having to order overseas), I'm tempted to try them out.

Catire

Post by Catire » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:07 am

Just got some from Strings by Mail. From the short time I've had them, I must say that I'm quite impressed. My guitar, lattice braced IR, really took to them. It may be an illusion on my part, but I swear it's louder. Also, I'm really like the third string, particularly up the neck. Not tubby, with good intonation. The basses are good but not overpowering, and the sound is even across. Worth a try if you are unhappy with the strings you are using, and they are cheap enough if you don't.
"Can it be there was only one summer when I was ten years old?"

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:37 am

Do you guys notice less body to the tone? Maybe a thinner sound? Less lower partials.

I read these observations on another forum and so far no-one has mentioned anything like that here so I'm just curious.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

Catire

Post by Catire » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:43 am

Scot Tremblay wrote:Do you guys notice less body to the tone? Maybe a thinner sound? Less lower partials.

I read these observations on another forum and so far no-one has mentioned anything like that here so I'm just curious.
Not thinner, but, maybe, a bit more focused. Sort of a cross between carbon and nylon.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:09 pm

Update - Fail :twisted:
After trying the strings for a week or so I put the (Backshall) guitar aside and started playing my Fischer, partly because the Rubino strings were taking a long time to settle into staying in tune. I took the guitar out of its case again today (ie after about a month) and found the second string had snapped at about the level of the first fret. The strings had been at normal tension and the guitar in a Hiscox case, so no reason for this to happen. A very poor outcome I think!
Eric from GuitarLoot

Catire

Post by Catire » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:52 am

Two weeks in, I still like them, but breakage is an issue. I've had two first strings break, and one second string.

Echi

Post by Echi » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:28 am

Hi, I had the same problem at the beginning, with the B string.
I was very disappointed and rung Aquila Corde to complain.
They admitted the issue and replaced me the old set and since that it didn't happen again in 2 months.
The lady at the reception told me that the very first production line could give this issue which (supposely) has been sorted out now. Not a good start anyway...Another issue is that they take a little more than usual to set than D'addario and Savarez.
I read in the Delcamp Italian forum that this was caused by too much red colorant additive in the first batch.
The advantage is that they sound way better (at least to my ear and on my guitars) as they are warm as nylon but with some plus I used to find in Royal carbon.

I suppose that if you ring them (or send them an e-mail) they will replace your strings.

I read that pogmoor could compare the string diameters with a micrometer: good job.
In the real life experience (at least in my experience) I couldn't find much tactile difference among the 2nd and 3rd string as for sure the Rubino G string is more similar (as feeling and sound) to many B strings of other makers.

LaurenceMardon

Post by LaurenceMardon » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:03 am

I've had the Rubino strings on for a little under a week ...

1. omg they look ugly ... I'm not sure what Aquila was thinking, but the 'maroon' looks like something you'd get on a guitar in a junk shop;
2. unfortunately, they sound very, very nice. The set works very well as a set (good blend & uniform volume);
3. the basses are not as interesting as the trebles (but still good). I'd imagine they're Aquila's standard Alabastro basses (silver copper on Nylgut). I'd probably want to experiment with different bass pairings;
4. the trebles are very nice indeed. The tone is clear & uniform up the length of the string. Another poster mentioned the idea of a cross between nylon & carbon, which is a nice thought. On my guitar they have a very 'old-fashioned' sound ... they actually remind me way more of (good) gut strings than Aquila's 'Nylgut'. They're quite loud, & seem to resist nail-damage pretty well. They do take 3 or so days to settle in, tho. There's perhaps not quite as much sustain as with most other strings, but they vibrato nicely while they are vibrating.

These strings are really worth a try, even with their repulsive reddish colour. I'll be ordering another couple of sets to experiment with. Cheers.

dentalbook

Aquila Rubino Classical Guitar Strings

Post by dentalbook » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:02 am

I believe these are new. Has anyone used them? What are they like? This is a link for more information. http://www.aquilacorde.com/news-and-eve ... no-series/

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”