Aquila Rubino

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
wongsteven51

Re: Aquila Rubino Classical Guitar Strings

Post by wongsteven51 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:06 am

Never tried the rubino strings. They have a pretty interesting concept and I'd like to soon. For anyone who doesn't know the strings are of the same thickness but the material of each string is of different density resulting in a good tension for each string with a more consistent tone.

I play the alabastro set pretty regularly and I love the tone! My only gripe is that they are a bit quieter the strings I used to use (oasis carbons). If you try them let me know what you think

dentalbook

Re: Aquila Rubino Classical Guitar Strings

Post by dentalbook » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:19 am

I just purchased them. I'll write back about them. I use oasis carbons alot too. I prefer the carbon sound. I have to say I love the Aquila perla nylgut basses. They seem louder to me and I just love the sound of them. I have on the perla bionylon trebles right now, and I think they are pleasant sounding, but they lack the resonance of nylon or carbon.

pogmoor

Re: Aquila Rubino

Post by pogmoor » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:39 am

dentalbook wrote:I believe these are new. Has anyone used them? What are they like? This is a link for more information. http://www.aquilacorde.com/news-and-eve ... no-series/
I've merged your thread with the existing thread on Aquila Rubino strings. As I mentioned previously I am puzzled by these strings. They claim to be of the same gauge but different densities. However the strings in the sets I bought are not. They look and feel just like conventional medium to low tension strings (except that the trebles are red).
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

dentalbook

Post by dentalbook » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:03 pm

I I just purchased theses strings. I'll let you know how they sound. I swear by aquila perla nylgut multifilament basses. They seem loud to me and a great sound. I'm playing the perla bionylon trebles. They sound pleasant but they lack the resonance of nylon or carbon.

dentalbook

Post by dentalbook » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:14 pm

I just ordered a set of these. I''ll let you know how they sound. I believe there is only a small decrease in diameter of the strings, but it will hold true to its word.pogmoor did you have your 2nd string break? I once bought aquila nylgut trebles and the 2nd string broke. pogmoor did you notice a decent resonance with these strings? Did it sound nice?

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:22 pm

dentalbook wrote:I...pogmoor did you have your 2nd string break? I once bought aquila nylgut trebles and the 2nd string broke. pogmoor did you notice a decent resonance with these strings? Did it sound nice?
Yes, I posted about this in some detail earlier on in this thread. When the string broke I took the trebles off and replaced them with different strings altogether. Unfortunately they hadn't really settled down so I don't have a clear idea of how good they are. i've got a couple more sets so I will give them a try at some stage.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

dentalbook

Post by dentalbook » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks for the follow up guys. I hope aquila can fix these string breaking problems in their next run of production. I still believe in them.

dentalbook

Post by dentalbook » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:31 am

I just got them strung up. They sound just like the Bionylon trebles that come in the Aquila perla set. They're blocky and obtrusive. They don't have resonance like nylon or carbon strings. Let me report tomorrow when I can play the trebles in freedom. I'll be back!!!

dentalbook

Post by dentalbook » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:09 am

I have to say these trebles have more resonance then I first thought. They have sustain too. They feel good. They have a dry feel. The trebles because they are decreased in diameter offer a more pure sound rather than a thicker duller string. These strings do good by me. The nylgut basses are thinner in diameter and have volume. I'm sorry for multiple postings, but I forgot to look at the 2nd page for my posts.

dentalbook

Post by dentalbook » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:06 pm

The trebles have a authentic sound, and as I said these strings offer more trueness in sound, and are beautiful to listen to.

vincentx

Post by vincentx » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:57 pm

Put on a set on my Enrique Garcia, it does sound really nice. Way much more better than any other string I tried. Do experiencing the breakage of the B string. Will try another set.
1911 Jose Ramirez I
1918 Enrique Garcia
1923 Hermann Hauser I Vienna
1933 Enrique Coll Sinopoil
1936 Santos Hernandez
1953 Manuel de la Chica
1983 John Gilbert
2002 Daniel Friederich
2017 Marshall Brune 1888 Torres Bench Copy
2017 Vincent Xu

dentalbook

Post by dentalbook » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:19 pm

Alright, I still have these Aquila rubino strings on my guitar. I must say I was wrong, they are not blocky or obtrusive. They do have resonance. The trueness of sound because of the eveness of string gauge on the trebles makes the guitar sound more perfect. I dont know if I will revert to another string now. This set was created to try something new. To make all the treble strings about the same size in diameter, something never tried before. It was an experiment in trying to get the sound more truer. I think it has accomplished that. I must also recommend everyone to try Tusq saddles and nuts. It increases your guitars resonance. Though some like bone better, I must agree that bone does have a sweeter sound, but not as much resonance.

mando48

Post by mando48 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:07 pm

I like their 3rd string better than any other Unwound third string. I wish they would sell the strings separately I would buy a lot of third strings from my guitars 2. The first and second string 10 to break easily so I would not want a complete travel set. It's the best third-string I've ever used.

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:08 am

hello guys
a few informations:
these strings, just after the installation, are very dull in the sound.
However, after a few stretching by hands the sound has a deep change and became better and better.
the next few days they reach the best
So please wait the proper time ans stretch them.
the dark colour is due to the metal powder added to the plastic compound.

The Treble gauges cannot be of the same gauges: the first description was a mistake/misundrstanding done by our traslator,
However, the string gauge increase ( the slope), thanks to the diferent gradient of density, il less than all the standard Treble, whom density is same in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings

Mimmo

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:29 pm

Working on breaking these in. I left them in the case tuned below pitch, next day tuned up to pitch...all over the place, they are starting to be stable.

These added a more bright tone to a fairly dry sounding Spruce/Cypress blanca guitar. The normal tension feels a bit tight comparable to the D Addario hard tension, perhaps a touch less. I am sure they will stretch a bit.

Here's a little noodling...recorded with an integrated apple laptop cam...not high res but you can get some ideas. No nails, just flesh. The G string sounds nice, its not tubby. I can see why some might want singles of these :) The highs ring and sing a bit more on my guitar. I like the response.

I will try them again but I can see how they would be a love hate kind of thing. As to durability no snaps so far. A touch bright and warm. These would be a good set for a player coming from a steel string guitar, since the string sizes are more thin like steel string. But they sound nylon like, maybe a hint of carbon character, but mostly a snappy sparkling bright string that rings out. Perhaps these strings favor flamenco voiced instruments?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzuhgSLb-MU

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”