Aquila Rubino

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
petermc61

Re: Aquila Rubino

Post by petermc61 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:22 pm

I fitted the Rubino basses to a spruce (traditional) guitar yesterday to pair with some Mari trebles. Initial impressions were a nice, tight sound. Perfect intonation (thankfully). Overnight the sound gained a little weight and they are nicely balanced.

I will try the treble strings over coming weeks and report back.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:11 pm

petermc61 wrote:I will try the treble strings over coming weeks and report back.
As I reported early on in this thread I found the trebles extremely disappointing.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:02 pm

pogmoor wrote:
petermc61 wrote:I will try the treble strings over coming weeks and report back.
As I reported early on in this thread I found the trebles extremely disappointing.
Out of curiosity, how long did you leave them on for?

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:34 am

It's always worth looking at earlier pages in a long thread. I made two long posts on the first page and then this one:
pogmoor wrote:Update - Fail :twisted:
After trying the strings for a week or so I put the (Backshall) guitar aside and started playing my Fischer, partly because the Rubino strings were taking a long time to settle into staying in tune. I took the guitar out of its case again today (ie after about a month) and found the second string had snapped at about the level of the first fret. The strings had been at normal tension and the guitar in a Hiscox case, so no reason for this to happen. A very poor outcome I think!
I notice that catire also said:
Catire wrote:Two weeks in, I still like them, but breakage is an issue. I've had two first strings break, and one second string.
You'll notice that my earlier posts comment on:
A) intonation problems with the G string;
B) the fact that the 'equal diameter' claim appears to be false.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:14 am

Update: after being away for three days I came back and bought the Rubino basses back up to tune. Intonation remains good which is a pleasant surprise and the sound is good, but nothing 'truly special'. They actually remind me a little of new EJ45 curiously.

I was in two minds whether to leave them on to see how they faired with a lot more break in time, or to pull them off and replace with a set with a little more pizazz (I was thinking of Cantiga).

No,I thought, I'll try the trebles. I thought I'd try the G string first since I read here they were somebody's choice of G string. Reading their blurb it sounded like it might be a good alternative to carbon G strings which I tend to use a lot.

The string broke just in front of the bridge when tuning up. Having read they were sensitive I was going slowly but was still three semitones short of pitch when it failed. Others had mentioned multiple failures on first and second strings but nobody until now had reported a failed G string.

So what to do? Take off the bass strings and throw the whole set in the rubbish. Annoying but I am not going to risk gouging one of my guitars with strings that snap on tensioning up.

Mimmo, if you read this I have to tell you just how frustrating my experience with your strings has been. I have bought about a dozen sets of strings and you have sent me (I think) a couple of replacement sets. Not one set of strings of the six or so (Alabastro, Perla and Rubino) have I installed to date have survived. They have either had intonation problems (Alabastro and Perla) or breakage (Rubino). This is incredibly frustrating and as a result of those six sets of strings I have had probably a total of 5-10 hours play time and they are all now thrown away.

What do I do with the other six unopened sets?? Do I waste my time and fit them or risk damaging one of my guitars from a failure? Or do I just throw away that investment?

If anybody in Australia wants to try an Alabastro or Perla set in the hope they will intonate well, drop me a PM. You can have a set if you pay postage.

Peter

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:48 pm

Update; I've previously posted about my negative experiences with Aquila Rubino strings. However, last week I received a message from Mimmo Peruffo, the maker of Aquila strings who kindly agreed to send me some free strings to try. These arrived yesterday by express delivery and today I'm having another go with Rubino strings.

Mimmo mentioned a couple of points about these strings. Firstly he suggested those I tried before were an early batch - and indeed the new ones have a sticker saying Nuova Formula. Secondly he said that his claim about the gauge of the strings is not it remains the same but that it increases "progressively to leave the gauge almost unchanged as possible".

As well as a set of Rubinos, Mimmo also sent me a set of Cristallo (nylon trebles, covered Nylgut basses) and a set of Zaffiro, in which the trebles are made from Nylonplant, which is said to be a variety of nylon derived entirely from plant material, and to sound somewhat like fluorocarbon strings.

I put the Rubino strings on my guitar about 5 hours ago. They are still settling in, but the immediate impression is positive. If anything the tension in the treble strings seems a bit higher than last time (they are 'normal' tension) and the tone is very even across the whole set; intonation also seems good. Let's see how it goes over the next days and weeks! I shall also look forward to trying the other Aquila sets.
Eric from GuitarLoot

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:18 am

Hi, In would like to answer but latter
right now i have a trip to Milan
maybe tomorrow? (petermc61, can youi wait a bit? Thanks)
mimmo

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:11 am

Mimmo2us wrote:Hi, In would like to answer but latter
right now i have a trip to Milan
maybe tomorrow? (petermc61, can youi wait a bit? Thanks)
mimmo
Hi Mimmo, of course I can wait. The strings are just sitting in a cupboard....

Peter

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:20 pm

ok, just back from my trip....
to petermc61.
what to say?
I am the maker so everything i can say sound not good.
However, I would like to have your guitar in my hands just to see what hapen and why.
Intonation problems: it is hr to understand as many told me that the intonation is ok, some others that there arev troubles. The only thing to check is the date when they were made; this is written on the sticker. the intonation problem is relate to the stretching ratio. right now is quite high and there are no problems, almost hearing form many customers
G string breackage: may I have a picture of the bridge where the G string is fitted? it is impossible to hve an explanation without the guitar here. which is the scale? 65 cms?
actually we sold out some thousands of rubino sets. I heard complaints of course, expecially on the fist version. Right now I receiced some 10 0r 20 complaints, mosstly related to the 1st string
Please can you tell me more?
Thnaks
Mimmo

PitacVert

Post by PitacVert » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:32 pm

I had a set of Rubino normal tension installed on my Ramirez for about two weeks now, and I must say that I quite like them. No breakage so far, no intonation issues. They are fairly pleasant to the touch; I especially like the satin texture on the trebles. Tone is even and balanced. They do sound like a cross between nylon and carbon, as previous posters pointed out.

dentalbook

Post by dentalbook » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:30 pm

I got them stringed up for 3 months. They have no breakage at all. The sound does seem to sound more truer, and less muffled. I think their enhanced by tusq nuts and saddles.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:13 pm

pogmoor wrote:Update; I've previously posted about my negative experiences with Aquila Rubino strings. However, last week I received a message from Mimmo Peruffo, the maker of Aquila strings who kindly agreed to send me some free strings to try. These arrived yesterday by express delivery and today I'm having another go with Rubino strings.

Mimmo mentioned a couple of points about these strings. Firstly he suggested those I tried before were an early batch - and indeed the new ones have a sticker saying Nuova Formula. Secondly he said that his claim about the gauge of the strings is not it remains the same but that it increases "progressively to leave the gauge almost unchanged as possible".
Well, this new set of Rubinos has now been on my guitar for more than two weeks and I'm glad to say that I have revised my opinion completely. Last time I tried I got repeated treble breakages; this new set has behaved perfectly and I am happily playing on them. The tension seems ok - consistent with their description as 'normal' and their tone and intonation is great. A nice bright tone and the balance of tone across the strings and up the fingerboard is brilliant. Bravo Mimmo, I now consider these strings among the best I have come across :)
Eric from GuitarLoot

edwardsguitar

Post by edwardsguitar » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:43 pm

I just put on Rubino trebles for the first time yesterday; tuning up very slowly. I went out for some errands and came back to find the 3rd string broken; snapped at the bridge.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:34 pm

They sounded great, but then the g string started to buzz. The string didn't break but some of the material separated, I couldn't understand why a string would suddenly start buzzing, and I removed it, decided to reverse direction and re-tie the string. It still buzzed.

Looking closer I found that part of the string had rolled away...it wasn't torn or cracked, but as if a small ball had melted, the separation was ever so slight and that little piece which separated was causing the buzz.

I re-strung the guitar with my previously used nylgut strings and the sound and intonation was good again. I am sad because I loved the tonal quality of the strings, but I was having odd intonation issues when playing higher notes, I mean the pitch was wildly different. I thought it was just the way I tied the strings, I retied them, reversed direction but still problems.

I would try these strings again, but it kind of bums me out that the string messed up.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:48 pm

edwardsguitar wrote:I just put on Rubino trebles for the first time yesterday; tuning up very slowly. I went out for some errands and came back to find the 3rd string broken; snapped at the bridge.
That is exactly what happened to mine unfortunately. I have a warranty replacement in transit. Hopefully I will have more luck second time.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”