Aquila Rubino

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
dentalbook

Re: Aquila Rubino

Post by dentalbook » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:03 am

Wow! Im shocked. Ive had my pair of trebles on for exactly 9 months. They are still performing. I think the second run of these strings improved upon the first run. No breakage here, but yes the 3rd string is worn down and feathered where my fingernails touch it. It still plays correctly and sounds like good frequencies on my guitar!

DLQ

Post by DLQ » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:24 pm

petermc61 wrote:
edwardsguitar wrote:I just put on Rubino trebles for the first time yesterday; tuning up very slowly. I went out for some errands and came back to find the 3rd string broken; snapped at the bridge.
That is exactly what happened to mine unfortunately. I have a warranty replacement in transit. Hopefully I will have more luck second time.
Thought I'd revive this thread, as I'm generally enthusiastic about these strings but am experiencing the same issues with breakage and inconsistency. Mimmo, if you're still looking at this thread, what date did production of the new strings begin? I'm not sure what iteration of Rubinos I am using. I too had a third string break right away during installation, and I have experienced similar frustrations as petermc61 in terms of having incomplete sets sitting around after replacing single trebles; it'd be great if single trebles were available for purchase.

mattew

Post by mattew » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:38 am

I was a big fan of Aquila Perla strings for some years until they changed to "Bio-Nylon". The new material sounded like pure plastic.
Nevertheless I tried the Rubino strings because I think the idea behind is very interesting and Mimmo is a brilliant mind with huge knowledge and dedication.
Sadly the new strings also could not convince me. The surface went rapidly rough under my nails and the tone was very brilliant and stiff (plastic again).
A real pity...

Brandon Walker

Post by Brandon Walker » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:56 am

I have never really given the Rubino strings enough of a chance, I don't think. I have never had breakage/wear issues, but I think Mimmo acknowledged that that was a problem initially. I have only ever had them on for a few days, while I was waiting on something else arriving, and from this and at least one other thread I gathered that their sound develops over time.

I would be interested to try the Granato set - which I think may be the Rubino trebles paired with different basses - those with a different ratio of metal winding to core material that have deep, pronounced lower end residuals, like the Ambra basses.

I would love it if you could buy singles from Aquila. I love the Seta basses, but the d3 doesn't do well - even when tuned to Db - and an Ambra d3 fits perfectly. Even the option of half sets would be great - the Cristallo trebles paired with the Seta basses are a combination I'm fond of, and there are other matches I'd like to try - I am waiting on an Ambra 2000 set arriving, only to pair the basses with Augustine Imperials.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:15 pm

I concur that it would be good if they sold strings individually or at least as treble sets.

dilettante1000

Post by dilettante1000 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:41 pm

I've used 4 sets or alabastro strings already and, as well as producing a superior tone and volume on cheaper guitars, compared to some other brands, they also stay in tune well and last a long time. But different strokes for different folks, as they say...

mrvegas

Post by mrvegas » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:19 am

I think the Alabastros have reached the tried and true stage. Excellent strings. Others may still be experiments in progress.
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

Leo

Post by Leo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:25 pm

I am a big fan of the Aquila Zaffrio strings now. They are much like the Alabastro strings, but a bit brighter and a more well balanced tone in the trebles :)
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S

Filipp

Post by Filipp » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:37 pm

dilettante1000 wrote:I've used 4 sets or alabastro strings already and, as well as producing a superior tone and volume on cheaper guitars, compared to some other brands, they also stay in tune well and last a long time. But different strokes for different folks, as they say...
What some other brands are you talking about? In your experience, Alabastro was better than what?
Thanks
F.
2005 Danielson, experimental

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:21 pm

The Alabastro are better if you want a string that doesn't sound like conventional nylon materials. If you favor warmth over absolute brightness, they are more rounded. But nylon is not bad. It's just that Aquila sounds different and different is better for me, but not everybody else.

Some people can sound remarkable on any old string and I think it's mostly a preference. For the relative tonalities I think the lack of modern bright sound and full warmth makes me partial to Aquila strings. Although some would say they are bright, I think they are warmer once broken in. The warmth is retained for quite awhile.

The Alabastro has proven to me to be quite durable, the trebles will stretch for miles and last, while the basses will become a cruddy copper mess in no time. But that's any wound string.

dilettante1000

Post by dilettante1000 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Filipp wrote:
dilettante1000 wrote:I've used 4 sets or alabastro strings already and, as well as producing a superior tone and volume on cheaper guitars, compared to some other brands, they also stay in tune well and last a long time. But different strokes for different folks, as they say...
What some other brands are you talking about? In your experience, Alabastro was better than what?
Thanks
F.
I hesitate to say "better", apart from the qualities I specify. I haven't tried every string on the market. I have put Savarez and D'Addario strings on the same guitars, recently, as I have the Aquila. I have Bernabe strings on my Bernabe, not tried anything else.

I try to write from the perspective of personal experience - how something was for me, when I did it. Other people will have different experiences.

markodarko

Post by markodarko » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:51 pm

dentalbook wrote:Wow! Im shocked. Ive had my pair of trebles on for exactly 9 months.
Blimey. I'm shocked too! :shock:
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

gjj

Post by gjj » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:58 pm

I put them on my little La Patrie Motif and it really came to life, especially the treble strings.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:18 pm

They do sell Granato trebles only 2.99 a set, I believe they are the same composition as the Rubino, but most likely a different string size.

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:12 pm

The difference between Granato and Rubino is on the basses only. While on Rubino they are 'standard', on the Granato set, suitable for Flamenco style, they has less sustain and more fundamental. The Trebles are exactly the same of the Rubino set.
Ciao
Mimmo

ah, one more thing: the Rubino set were improved, after fixed some problems, around June 2016 more or less.
Yes, try the zaffiro and Cristallo sets also. hard here to do the best choice

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”