Aquila Rubino

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Leo

Re: Aquila Rubino

Post by Leo » Thu May 17, 2018 8:14 pm

ameriken wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:29 pm
Leo wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Amerikin is your Burguet well balanced?
Very well balanced, when I took it out of the box it sounded almost exactly how I thought it should for a spruce top. Nice balance across all the strings, with good note separation and excellent volume. Bright guitar that responds very nicely with the Rubino's.
Okay, maybe I will try Rubino's with my Hippner at some point, not sure if I want more brightness. The Rubino's work well on my other guitar for brightness and volume, but sound a little bit thin, but this could be because of the guitar, a 1985 Takamine 132.

The Takamine is a very good guitar, but does not match my new one. :wink:
2012 Hippner, Spruce-birdseye maple
1985 Takamine C-132S
2002 Casa Montalvo, Spruce, Ziricote

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Thu May 17, 2018 11:13 pm

Leo wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:14 pm

The Takamine is a very good guitar, but does not match my new one. :wink:
lol, same here :guitare:
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

epcritmo

Post by epcritmo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:57 am

I've just put a set of these on following a set of Knobloch CX HTs. Here's what I think so far:

I have not stopped playing because it has given my guitar an interesting flavour. They are brighter than nylon but don't have the overtones or crystalline sound of carbons.
The appear more focused than carbon, more emphasis on the fundamental. They have a 'thicker' sound than carbons. It's like I now have a better perception of the individual strings and notes, more separation without so many overtones. I can say that I am enjoying these strings for the blues and folk music that I play.

For volume, they are loud enough and I am happy. Sometimes people say that carbon is perceived to be louder, but does not project as well. Something to do with all the overtones that do not project far but are easily heard by the player. These Rubino strings do sound slightly quieter than the knobloch CX HTs that I had on previously, but I believe it could be for a lack of those extra over tones. I would bet that they project equally well over a room or larger space. I would love to test this, or see some results. I may even guess that the Rubino strings project slightly better as they seem to have more emphasis on that fundamental (this is all speculation).

The tension is somewhat high, but nothing higher than carbon. for me it is fine, in fact I would prefer a slightly higher tension 3rd string but for most players I think there is plenty enough tension. I actually get a little buzz from the 3rd string on the 3rd, 4th and 5th fret when playing hard. I haven't had that before. I can also get some slight buzz on the 2nd string when playing very hard. I have flamenco guitar action.

They have only been on for one evening and a morning, so I will have to see how they settle in. I was pleasantly surprised that they had stretched very little over night, compared to when I first put a set of carbon strings on. They did however stretch a lot when installing the strings.
Camps Primera Negra A, Cordoba Mini M
Music I play: Acoustic blues and folk, Bert Jansch, John Fahey, Skip James, etc
https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

epcritmo

Post by epcritmo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:47 pm

Here is a recording a made of them:

https://soundcloud.com/apaooresy/on-the ... -the-ocean

Which you can compare with Knobloch CX HT trebles here:

epcritmo

Post by epcritmo » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:16 pm

I think these are fast becoming my favourite strings. I really like them and think I may permanently use them instead of carbons.

I think I'll try the Granato strings next.

Leo

Post by Leo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:10 am

epcritmo wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:16 pm
I think these are fast becoming my favourite strings. I really like them and think I may permanently use them instead of carbons.

I think I'll try the Granato strings next.
I think the Granato are the same strings as the Rubino, just the bass strings may be different. Tried the Rubino for the first time on a third guitar of mine, a Casa Montalvo that was always bass heavy, and the Rubino treble strings really make it sing. I had carbon strings on it before and they brought out brightness and loudness of the trebles, but they still did not seem right for this guitar for two reasons. The first reason is the overtones and shrillness that carbon strings have, and the other reason is the tension and thinness of the trebles, they become a pain to play after a few minutes.

So for this guitar they seem to be the most perfect strings that I have tried so far, rich, bright, direct sounding, and as loud as carbons to my ears. They didn't seem to work on my Takamine 132S, the trebles seemed to thin sounding. So my takeaway from all this, is that some guitars (or maybe most guitars) have a set of strings that really make them shine. :wink:
1985 Takamine C-132S

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:26 am

Hello,
if it is of some hlep, I can add a few considerations and they are:
-the last version of the Rubino (since 1 year) has fixed some problems of the first version: they are smoother and stronger. There is the date on the white label on the envelope.
. you are right: the diference between Granato and Rubino is that the Granato has a special basses that give less sustain and a more percussive sound. This was done in order to meet the necessity of the fast reasguado style.
However my fried Ruben Diaz, that was a collaborator/ player of Paco de Lucia, told me that it is a mistake that a flamenco set must have short sustain and this is true only for the old style flamenco.
Mimmo Peruffo (aquilastrings owner)

epcritmo

Post by epcritmo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:08 am

Hi Mimmo

On your website, the gauges for the Granato trebles are very slightly larger than the Rubino trebles. I was told that the difference in tension would be minimal. What difference in sound would this make?

Mimmo2us

Post by Mimmo2us » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:26 am

it is a mistake. thanks to tell me that. Actually the treble gauge are the same.
I will fix it
Mimmo

epcritmo

Post by epcritmo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks Mimmo. Congratulations on these strings, another great invention.

epcritmo

Post by epcritmo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Here is a recording on the Rubinos (full set):

Leo

Post by Leo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:37 am

These strings sound really good on your guitar, and a well played song. 8)
1985 Takamine C-132S

epcritmo

Post by epcritmo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks Leo, I have a fine guitar and these are great strings.

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:29 pm

I suggest these for cross over fingerstyle as demoed they really shine. Also they allow classical sound to contrast that to the thomastik which have a steel string voice.

Kind of a jack of all trades kind of string the rubinio is.

epcritmo

Post by epcritmo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:34 pm

Another demo of how good these Aquila Rubino strings are. Basses & trebles now 3 months old, but still sound great.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”