American Collection

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
User avatar
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:24 pm
Location: Glasgow Scotland

Re: American Collection

Post by Matthew McAllister » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:02 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:27 pm
I enjoyed the video, Matthew. It gives a good taste of what is on the album. And I must say, it is my kind of music. I particularly like Mishima - Glass is my favourite composer. To see and hear four great classical guitarists play one of his excellent works is really something. Please pass on my appreciation to Allan, Uros and Sasha. I hope the four of you can get together for more of this stuff! Any chance of a recital?

By the way, I had been intending to order the album - this has prompted me to do that right now. :casque:
Thanks George, I will pass on your wishes to the gang! Looking at playing the quartet live at CGR 10!

Enjoy the album and excited to hear your thoughts.

M

User avatar
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:24 pm
Location: Glasgow Scotland

Re: American Collection

Post by Matthew McAllister » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:03 pm

cgratham wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 pm
HI Matthew,
Thanks for posting the lovely video. I've just completed my order - also prompted by the video reminder. I really enjoy the Celtic Collection, and am sure will equally love the American Collection. Can't wait to see where we go next in our discoveries of the world's musics travelling through Matthew's Albums :D
Cheers, Chris

Nice to know an album will be winging it's way to BC!

Thank you for your support and enjoy the music.

M :merci:

User avatar
Erik Zurcher
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16322
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: The Hague, Netherlands

Re: American Collection

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:46 pm

Ordered! :bye:

I am particularly interested to Chick Corea's Children's Songs and Philip Glass' Mishima on guitar. I have seen Chick Corea a number of times in concert and watched the film Mishima just after release, even bought the album.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

UKsteve
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: St Albans, UK

Re: American Collection

Post by UKsteve » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:27 pm

I bought this yesterday and have enjoyed it +++.

In particuar, it's really nice to not have to sit through the same old repertoire, and hear something new and fresh.

User avatar
George Crocket
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9712
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:48 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: American Collection

Post by George Crocket » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:00 pm

Matthew McAllister wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:02 pm
George Crocket wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:27 pm
I enjoyed the video, Matthew. It gives a good taste of what is on the album. And I must say, it is my kind of music. I particularly like Mishima - Glass is my favourite composer. To see and hear four great classical guitarists play one of his excellent works is really something. Please pass on my appreciation to Allan, Uros and Sasha. I hope the four of you can get together for more of this stuff! Any chance of a recital?

By the way, I had been intending to order the album - this has prompted me to do that right now. :casque:
Thanks George, I will pass on your wishes to the gang! Looking at playing the quartet live at CGR 10!

Enjoy the album and excited to hear your thoughts.

M
The Quartet playing live at the 10th anniversary CGR would be a real highlight for me. I hope you can do it. :contrat:

I've listened to the album a few times now. I must say that I agree with Steve about new and fresh. It is very modern, yet not so modern :? . It reminded me of hours of listening to Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention LPs as a youth - what a challenge that was in so many ways. His piece on the album does not really reflect that chapter of his career, except in being so original and different. The Mashima is a remarkable achievement which I just love - the Glass just shines out of it. But the Rosheger Lullaby is the discovery for me - what a gentle and emotional piece that is. I really enjoyed all the music on the album. As for the sound you have produced. It is just great. You know I enjoy your playing a lot. But here, as well as the usual technical and emotional precision, you seem to have a fuller, richer, more mature tone, and immense sympathy with the music. Congratulations.

:bravo:
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

User avatar
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:24 pm
Location: Glasgow Scotland

Re: American Collection

Post by Matthew McAllister » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:46 pm
Ordered! :bye:

I am particularly interested to Chick Corea's Children's Songs and Philip Glass' Mishima on guitar. I have seen Chick Corea a number of times in concert and watched the film Mishima just after release, even bought the album.
Thanks Erik! Hope you enjoy it. :D

User avatar
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:24 pm
Location: Glasgow Scotland

Re: American Collection

Post by Matthew McAllister » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:24 pm

UKsteve wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:27 pm
I bought this yesterday and have enjoyed it +++.

In particuar, it's really nice to not have to sit through the same old repertoire, and hear something new and fresh.
Thanks Steve, great to hear that the album is offering you something new and fresh, really happy to hear that. :D

User avatar
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:24 pm
Location: Glasgow Scotland

Re: American Collection

Post by Matthew McAllister » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:27 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:00 pm
Matthew McAllister wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:02 pm
George Crocket wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:27 pm
I enjoyed the video, Matthew. It gives a good taste of what is on the album. And I must say, it is my kind of music. I particularly like Mishima - Glass is my favourite composer. To see and hear four great classical guitarists play one of his excellent works is really something. Please pass on my appreciation to Allan, Uros and Sasha. I hope the four of you can get together for more of this stuff! Any chance of a recital?

By the way, I had been intending to order the album - this has prompted me to do that right now. :casque:
Thanks George, I will pass on your wishes to the gang! Looking at playing the quartet live at CGR 10!

Enjoy the album and excited to hear your thoughts.

M
The Quartet playing live at the 10th anniversary CGR would be a real highlight for me. I hope you can do it. :contrat:

I've listened to the album a few times now. I must say that I agree with Steve about new and fresh. It is very modern, yet not so modern :? . It reminded me of hours of listening to Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention LPs as a youth - what a challenge that was in so many ways. His piece on the album does not really reflect that chapter of his career, except in being so original and different. The Mashima is a remarkable achievement which I just love - the Glass just shines out of it. But the Rosheger Lullaby is the discovery for me - what a gentle and emotional piece that is. I really enjoyed all the music on the album. As for the sound you have produced. It is just great. You know I enjoy your playing a lot. But here, as well as the usual technical and emotional precision, you seem to have a fuller, richer, more mature tone, and immense sympathy with the music. Congratulations.

:bravo:
:merci:

Thank you George for such thoughtful and careful listening, it is really rewarding to know people like yourself are out there listening.

Matthew

User avatar
pogmoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9425
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:55 am
Location: Oxfordshire, UK

Re: American Collection

Post by pogmoor » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:07 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:00 pm
...But the Rosheger Lullaby is the discovery for me - what a gentle and emotional piece that is. I really enjoyed all the music on the album.
Yes, I've just listened right through and I thought it was a case of saving the best until last :)
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

User avatar
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:24 pm
Location: Glasgow Scotland

Re: American Collection

Post by Matthew McAllister » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:08 am

pogmoor wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:07 pm
George Crocket wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:00 pm
...But the Rosheger Lullaby is the discovery for me - what a gentle and emotional piece that is. I really enjoyed all the music on the album.
Yes, I've just listened right through and I thought it was a case of saving the best until last :)
The Rosheger was a real dixcovery for me a few years ago on a David Russell CD, Philip's music is gorgeous and I thought it was a nice way to bring the album to a close.

:D

M

Gary Macleod

Re: American Collection

Post by Gary Macleod » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 am

Matthew McAllister wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:59 pm
Hi folks,

I am really happy to announce the release of my new album, American Collection.

Probably the most ambitious project I have undertaken yet with some mighty challenges along the way, from recording in two different countries, preparing music by nearly all living composers with their input throughout the process, music that was improvised alongside composed and a guitar quartet of minimalist music. It was a fantastic process and the result I am so pleased with and I hope you will enjoy it too.

You can find out more about the album and order at the link below.

http://barosrecords.com/americancollection

Check out the cover Artwork.

Image

There will be a 'Making Of' movie coming very soon but for now check out the video single, the haunting Oleander Etude by Ralph Towner.

[media]https://youtu.be/Cx6amkDeylk[/media]

Hope you enjoy listening and add the album to your collection!

Matthew :D

P.S More clips will follow soon.....
Very nice playing and a great piece, which guitar is this I really like the tone.

User avatar
Matthew McAllister
Concert performers
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:24 pm
Location: Glasgow Scotland

Re: American Collection

Post by Matthew McAllister » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 am
Matthew McAllister wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:59 pm
Hi folks,

I am really happy to announce the release of my new album, American Collection.

Probably the most ambitious project I have undertaken yet with some mighty challenges along the way, from recording in two different countries, preparing music by nearly all living composers with their input throughout the process, music that was improvised alongside composed and a guitar quartet of minimalist music. It was a fantastic process and the result I am so pleased with and I hope you will enjoy it too.

You can find out more about the album and order at the link below.

http://barosrecords.com/americancollection

Check out the cover Artwork.

Image

There will be a 'Making Of' movie coming very soon but for now check out the video single, the haunting Oleander Etude by Ralph Towner.

[media]https://youtu.be/Cx6amkDeylk[/media]

Hope you enjoy listening and add the album to your collection!

Matthew :D

P.S More clips will follow soon.....
Very nice playing and a great piece, which guitar is this I really like the tone.
Hi Gary,

It is a Michael Ritchie guitar and it is really nice, been playing it for a good number of years now, love the sound!

Best,

Matthew

DevonBadger
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 8:03 pm
Location: Devon, UK

Re: American Collection

Post by DevonBadger » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:35 pm

Can't help thinking everyone is missing the most important aspect... that's a really sharp haircut! :sigaretta:

DevonBadger
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 8:03 pm
Location: Devon, UK

Re: American Collection

Post by DevonBadger » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:52 pm

Seriously though, congratulations Matthew on the new album and looking forward to hearing it. Anyone know if Zappa has appeared on any other classical guitar album or has Matthew bagged a first?

As you are so open about life as a pro I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions. Did you record each piece in a single take or are they edited together?

And are there any other pieces that almost made it onto the album but didn't make the final cut for whatever reason?

Cheers.

vanLeersum
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:00 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: American Collection

Post by vanLeersum » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi Mathew,
I just ordered the American Collection. Especially for the recording of Philip Glass: Mishima String Quartet for guitar quartet. I hope one day to play it with my guitar quartet. :)
Anne Marie

Return to “Members' Announcements”