The benefits of using artificial fingernails

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
davekear

The benefits of using artificial fingernails

Post by davekear » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:53 pm

Here's a few advantages of using artificial fingernails.
This is a bit of information we thought we'd pass along from our experience of over 25 years of owning GuitarPlayerNails.com.
We have thousands of guitarists that have used, and are currently using our nails.
This is what Eliot Fisk, who has been using our nails for many years, says about our nails:
"This is a huge revolutionary change for guitar players. I think even you do not realize how big of a revolution this represents. We are now in the realm of bassoon and oboe players with their reeds!!" Eliot Fisk.
If you have the proper knowledge, skills, and materials, you can use artificial fingernails all of the time, every day if you wish, for your entire life without any detriment to your natural nails. After you've learned the basics of applying nails correctly, this is what you can expect:
First of all, you'll never have to worry about your nails. No more nail emergencies. You can work cement all day long if you wanted to, and it wouldn't matter what you did to your nails. At anytime, you can simply remove an old nail, and put on a new one. You can do this many times, over and over again, all in one day if you wanted to. If you break a nail, it's no big deal. Once you get a bit of experience, you can remove an old nail, put on a new one, and be ready to play in less than 5 minutes.
You can adjust the tone and feel. If you're using the right material, you can adjust the tone of the fingernail after it's been applied by bending and shaping it in various ways. So if you apply a nail, and it sounds OK, you can then tweak it and make it sound great.
Uniformity of tone. All of your nails will sound great at the same time. No more playing with one nail that's a bit too short or worn away. (Your tremolo will thank you).
These are a few of the advantages of using good artificial fingernails.
If done correctly, an artificial nail will feel exactly like a great natural fingernail.
It will have a great sound, good diversity of tone, with great response and feel.
There is a bit of a learning curve involved, but it's not rocket science either.
With a little bit knowledge and skill, you can have great sounding nails anytime you want.
It's nice to have the option.

zzzsegundaepoca

Re: The benefits of using artificial fingernails

Post by zzzsegundaepoca » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:09 am

I’m good with my own nails. Regular and careful filing is all they need.

davekear

Post by davekear » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:28 am

zzzsegundaepoca wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:09 am
I’m good with my own nails. Regular and careful filing is all they need.
That's great, if you have good healthy nails that's a blessing. But even for folks like you, it's not a bad idea to learn how to use artificial nails. You never know when that nail emergency might arise. Good knowledge to have. We have had many guitarists over the years use our nails in such "emergencies" with much success. And there are many professional guitarists out there that just like the sound and ease of use of using good artificial nails on a regular basis. Perfect nails all of the time, any time you want; that's a nice thing to have. Just takes a bit of knowledge and experience. But worth it for the great results and peace of mind.

jollypat

Post by jollypat » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:44 pm

I have been a happy client of yours for several years and appreciate your products. I regularly use the preformed nails; they are easy to apply and sound great to my ear after filing. I use three coats of your more viscous glue as a top coat for strengthening, which seems about right. They are also easy to repair if there is a split. You offer a mesh that works great, and I have used just a small piece of tissue covered by the glue a couple of times. I have purchased the other material for a custom nail, but I have not tried it. It seem very thick compared to the preformed nails and I am uncertain how to begin.

davekear

Post by davekear » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:48 pm

jollypat wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:44 pm
I have been a happy client of yours for several years and appreciate your products. I regularly use the preformed nails; they are easy to apply and sound great to my ear after filing. I use three coats of your more viscous glue as a top coat for strengthening, which seems about right. They are also easy to repair if there is a split. You offer a mesh that works great, and I have used just a small piece of tissue covered by the glue a couple of times. I have purchased the other material for a custom nail, but I have not tried it. It seem very thick compared to the preformed nails and I am uncertain how to begin.
Thanks jollypat, glad they're working for you!
We also just recently added a very unique fingernail glue that works great for adding extra strength to nails. It's called "n-Butyl-cyanocrylate". It's the same glue that Dr's and veterinarians use for medical sutures. It's pretty strong stuff, and doesn't get as brittle as regular nail glues. Works great with the pre-formed nails.

jollypat

Post by jollypat » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:56 pm

I just placed an order yesterday and included that glue and the nail varnish, which I had not seen before. I must have small finger/nails; I don't anything larger than 18mm for my thumb! I'm using a 16mm now. A bit small, and the primary reason for the order. Thanks for your site and products.

davekear

Post by davekear » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:59 pm

jollypat wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:56 pm
I just placed an order yesterday and included that glue and the nail varnish, which I had not seen before. I must have small finger/nails; I don't anything larger than 18mm for my thumb! I'm using a 16mm now. A bit small, and the primary reason for the order. Thanks for your site and products.
Thanks Patrick. The new glue (n-Butyl-Cyanoacrylate) works great with the pre-formed nails. You don't even need wrap with it. After you apply the
pre-formed nail, put a thin layer of that glue right on top of the nail. Make sure you cover all the way to the tip. Then spray with some nail glue dryer if you wish. This will add strength without taking away any tone or adding any brittleness. This is the same glue that Dr's and Veterinarians use for sutures. Very thin (wicks well) adheres well and no irritating odors. Good stuff. Add more for more strength. Any issues come up, feel free to give us a call.

Petemayo

Post by Petemayo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:51 am

Any particular brand recommended? I just broke another one.

davekear

Post by davekear » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:03 am

Petemayo wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:51 am
Any particular brand recommended? I just broke another one.
If you have little or no experience, you should start with pre-formed nails. For extra strength you can use silk wrap with them. If you have some of the n-Butyl cyanoacrylate glue, you can use that stuff straight, with no wrap. Methods of application are as important as material. We've been doing this now for about 25 years, lots of info on our site covering most of what we've learned. Even if you don't use our nails, you'll most likely get some good tips there. We're here: https://guitarplayernails.com/

Petemayo

Post by Petemayo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Thank you.

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:53 pm

I'm VERY happy with the nails I purchased from you. I need to get that tungsten barrel dremel bit; removing the current fake nail is the hardest part of the whole thing.
Yamaha GC22S
Asturias AST-100

davekear

Post by davekear » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:34 pm

rpavich wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:53 pm
I'm VERY happy with the nails I purchased from you. I need to get that tungsten barrel dremel bit; removing the current fake nail is the hardest part of the whole thing.
Thanks, glad it's working for you. We're always here if you need us. Call, e-mail, or even Skype.
Yes, an electric (rotary) fingernail file, or a Dremel tool, is a very effective way of removing artificial fingernails. With a rotary file you can monitor what you're filing as you're doing so. It takes less than a minute to accurately remove a nail as compared to soaking your nail in chemicals for maybe an hour. Hand held emery board type files also work, but are not as fast or as accurate. If you do remove a bit of natural nail, simply build up the nail with a bit of nail glue before applying a new nail. A medium flat barrel carbide bit is great for tapering and removal. A medium under nail bit is good for under the nail.
Last edited by davekear on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:36 pm

davekear wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:34 pm
rpavich wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:53 pm
Thanks, glad it's working for you. We're always here if you need us. Call, e-mail, or even Skype.
Yes, an electric (rotary) fingernail file, or a Dremel tool, is a very effective way of removing artificial fingernails. With a rotary file you can monitor what you're filing as you're doing so. It takes less than a minute to accurately remove a nail as compared to soaking your nail in chemicals for maybe an hour. Hand held emery board type files also work, but are not as fast or as accurate. If you do remove a bit of natural nail, simply build up the nail with a bit of nail glue before applying a new nail. A medium flat barrel bit is great for tapering and removal. A medium under nail bit is good for under the nail.
Thanks, just ordered one from your site along with some more preformed nails
Yamaha GC22S
Asturias AST-100

Petemayo

Post by Petemayo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:48 am

I think my nails grew back long enough to play decently. I only need about 2 mms.

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:15 am

I finally gave in to using artificial nails. I tried RICO nails and here is what I found:
1. They are very much like tough real nails and can be reused many times. I don't know how many times, but when I remove mine they look perfect.

2. The glue dots are not reusable, but they are cheap. The ones that came with my RICO nails are strong enough to hold my nails on for a couple of days. I tried some from Office Depot that did not hold even for a few minutes. The only problem I am having with the dots that came from RICO is that when I apply the dot then remove the top clear plastic, often the entire dot comes off. I have since ordered 'strong' glue dots from Wal Mart that a member of this Forum has used successfully. Hope this works. They are also much cheaper/dot.

Overall I am really happy with RICO nails. It is a pleasure playing with nails again.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

Return to “Members' Announcements”