Right hand technique: a new perspective

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
User avatar
guitarrista
Posts: 1746
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:00 am
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by guitarrista » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:35 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:16 pm
I have to grant you one thing - you really do believe your own rhetoric. I just don’t have any idea why you are so confident (but please, don’t repeat anything you’ve said before. I don’t need repitition to convince me, I need evidence).
+1
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Ortega
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by Ortega » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Sorry about the intonation; this teaching/beater guitar needs new trebles:



Apparently I'm not a "delusional crackpot" after all! (One member/ YouTube commenter called me that repeatedly).

All 3 of these are different takes.

😀

User avatar
pogmoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:55 am
Location: Oxfordshire, UK

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by pogmoor » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:45 pm

Ortega wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:32 pm
Apparently I'm not a "delusional crackpot" after all! (One member/ YouTube commenter called me that repeatedly).
Most of the criticism you have received on this thread has focussed on:
1) Difficulty in understanding exactly what your ideas and axioms mean.
2) Bewilderment that what you say about your tremolo playing doesn't reflect what members hear when they listen to it.
3) Concern that you don't bring forward any supporting evidence for your ideas (despite your talk of 'reverse engineering').
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

musikai
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:32 am
Location: Augsburg, Germany

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by musikai » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:17 pm

Ortega wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:32 pm
All 3 of these are different takes.

😀
You think, but the 1st and 3rd are identical.
So here is your playing slowed down:
Scott_Johnston_Tremolo.wma
Your Tremolo again got worse. It was better the last time here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=121859&start=360#p1350962

But now you returned to an older technique where your a and m fingers aren't activated and which I described here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=121859&start=360#p1350319

The answer given there and the picture actually reflects what you are playing in the slowed down file of your playing above:
The Scott Johnston Tremorlo1.png


But you just ignore all this. Why?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Free Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

Ortega
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by Ortega » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:08 pm

For those who still complain about an excessive "gallop"😀:

The secret is to activate the a finger's tip joint and begin bringing the a finger toward its string (via the sole activation of the a finger's tip joint), at the precise moment that p actually STRIKES its string.

Not before, and not after; the timing must be precise. Mine still certainly needs improvement, and improve, it shall.

We must never activate either of the 2 larger joints of any finger, at any time, for any reason.


Ortega
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by Ortega » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:20 pm

petermc61 wrote:

I can’t quite decide whether Scott is real or a parody. There is almost nothing in life I am so confident about as he is about his ‘axioms’.

He reminds me of that person who wants to fly like the others people he sees flying through the air and making hand and foot movements. So he tries to jump, invents new shoes and jump techniques and as he sees he can jump higher now, he's telling all the other people about his discoveries. 

He is so focused on his feet that he doesn't see the balloons that the others are using to hover and only making hand and leg movements to come forward. So focused he even doesn't hear when the other's are telling him about the balloons* and offer to try one.

He invents a system to solve a problem that lies outside of his system...
Or perhaps there is another explanation for Scott?😉
Ortega wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:08 pm
For those who still complain about an excessive "gallop"😀:

The secret is to activate the a finger's tip joint and begin bringing the a finger toward its string (via the sole activation of the a finger's tip joint), at the precise moment that p actually STRIKES its string.

Not before, and not after; the timing must be precise. Mine still certainly needs improvement, and improve, it shall.

We must never activate either of the 2 larger joints of any finger, at any time, for any reason.


musikai
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:32 am
Location: Augsburg, Germany

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by musikai » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:21 pm

Ortega wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:08 pm
For those who still complain about an excessive "gallop"😀: ...
There's is nothing to complain about. It's a wonderful gallop!
I just wondered if you are able to hear it.
Doesn't seem so - not even in the slowed down samples of your playing.

I suppose you are not interested in becoming better. You just want to tell your story.

Markus Maria Profitlich:
How crazy do you have to be yourself to survive the galloping madness around you?
Free Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

SteveL123
Posts: 1306
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by SteveL123 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:34 pm

Ortega wrote:

"No metronome is needed, nor is it at all useful for tremolo practice on the micro level. The metronome is a fantastic tool on the macro level for maintaining the overall pulse of a given piece, and for many other applications, but it is worthless and useless as a tool on the micro level, for trying to even out the four subdivisions of the tremolo beat itself:"

Sad! I think the metronome is your salvation to an even tremolo. But you are writing it off and giving yourself the illusion your tremolo is getting better by playing it faster!

Ortega
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by Ortega » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:12 pm

More irrefutable proof. Again, I'm extremely humbled that this has come through me; I'm here to share this wonderful and transformative discovery with all of you:



The full explanation is linked in the description and in the comments section of the clip itself.

I think it is now safe to say that I can no longer be justly labeled a "delusional crackpot". 😀

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Scott

Ortega
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by Ortega » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:27 pm

SteveL123 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:34 pm
Ortega wrote:

"No metronome is needed, nor is it at all useful for tremolo practice on the micro level. The metronome is a fantastic tool on the macro level for maintaining the overall pulse of a given piece, and for many other applications, but it is worthless and useless as a tool on the micro level, for trying to even out the four subdivisions of the tremolo beat itself:"

Sad! I think the metronome is your salvation to an even tremolo. But you are writing it off and giving yourself the illusion your tremolo is getting better by playing it faster!
Ortega wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:12 pm
More irrefutable proof. Again, I'm extremely humbled that this has come through me; I'm here to share this wonderful and transformative discovery with all of you:



The full explanation is linked in the description and in the comments section of the clip itself.

I think it is now safe to say that I can no longer be justly labeled a "delusional crackpot". 😀

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Scott
Is this unacceptable to you as well, Steve?😉


User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6801
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by petermc61 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:18 pm

You have never provided ANY proof that your position (as best we can understand it) has any basis whatsoever. You seem to believe that stating your opinion is equivalent to providing evidence.

Ortega
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by Ortega » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:04 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:18 pm
You have never provided ANY proof that your position (as best we can understand it) has any basis whatsoever. You seem to believe that stating your opinion is equivalent to providing evidence.
The evidence that you seek is here, in the form of the single string tremolo. With this I am providing evidence which completely backs up my "opinion".

The single string tremolo is impossible with less than precise technique.

I urge you to try it yourself and you shall see.

Also, the pieces that I play following this single string tremolo excerpt provide further evidence:



Have a wonderful day,

Scott

SteveL123
Posts: 1306
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by SteveL123 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:17 am

Ortega wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:27 pm
(.............................)

Is this unacceptable to you as well, Steve?😉

This one is good, no gallop!

Now, set a metronome for this tempo, then increase the tempo in steps. Post more videos with metronome ticking as you practice with no gallop.

musikai
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:32 am
Location: Augsburg, Germany

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by musikai » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:23 am

Ortega wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:12 pm
More irrefutable proof. Again, I'm extremely humbled that this has come through me; I'm here to share this wonderful and transformative discovery with all of you:



The full explanation is linked in the description and in the comments section of the clip itself.

I think it is now safe to say that I can no longer be justly labeled a "delusional crackpot". 😀

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Scott
This is irrefutable proof that your ears need more training to actually be able to hear fast notes and to tell if they are even or uneven.
This is your playing slowed down:
Scott_Tremorlo.wma
SteveL123 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:17 am
Ortega wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:27 pm
(.............................)

Is this unacceptable to you as well, Steve?😉

This one is good, no gallop!

Now, set a metronome for this tempo, then increase the tempo in steps. Post more videos with metronome ticking as you practice with no gallop.
Yes, this is even! Congratulation! At this tempo your ears can cope with it.
Still based on a wrong foundation: very unbalanced motion of a and m opposed to i. Bouncing hand instead of finger movements. No independence of p. No relaxation and natural position of fingers after each stroke. Will make it very hard to stay even at higher tempo and longer pieces.

And please! Do us a favour and choose another nice piece for us to listen to. Why do you put so much effort into this? Only to play 3 bars of Malaguena? No, not Recuerdos again... :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Free Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

SteveL123
Posts: 1306
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Right hand technique: a new perspective

Post by SteveL123 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:29 pm

I would suggest making videos of your playing only, and skip the long spiel about sticky dust etc which I never listen to anyway (don't know about anyone else). Let your playing do the talking!

Return to “Members' Announcements”