Model Composition: copying scores by hand is a great way to learn!

Under this heading you can announce your own events and work products, including the publications of books, magazines, sheet music, CDs, videos, guitars you build, professional events like shows, training courses, festivals and competitions. Any member of the forum who wishes, may open a thread in this forum (but only one) using his/her name for the promotion of their efforts without limitation on the number of posts.
Daniel Nistico

Model Composition: copying scores by hand is a great way to learn!

Post by Daniel Nistico » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:07 pm

Copying out scores by hand was a standard part of a musician's training for a long time.

Composers like Bach, Mozart and Beethoven did it... so why is it not widely taught today?

Jeremy has completed his first week of my online composition course, 'A Piece to Call Your Own'.

He's so far copied out the first section of Adelita, a gorgeous Mazurka that will be modeled. You'd be surprised at how much this process reveals about the piece you're learning! It encourages you to become aware of every single detail.

We've also studied the piece in a crazy amount of depth, including things like:
• The harmony, texture and form
• The phrase structure
• The features of a Mazurka
• The purpose of the dynamic markings
• The names of the ornaments and how they're played

Jeremy also received a customized book of relevant exercises that he'll draw on to guide his composing.

Enroll for the course and compose your own beautiful piece over 4 weeks in February. There are just 2 spots open: http://www.danielnistico.net/a-piece-to ... r-own.html

Here's a piece I composed using the method that I teach:

I want to challenge you to copy out a piece by hand onto manuscript. Post a picture of your copy to this thread and I'll send you a free eBook of mine!

Thanks,
Daniel

Smith

Re: Model Composition: copying scores by hand is a great way to learn!

Post by Smith » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:03 am

I totally agree copying by hand is very useful exercise.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:53 am

Daniel Nistico wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:07 pm
...copying scores by hand is a great way to learn!
I agree. I'm a teacher. I have my students write things out as well, in a variety of ways (copying scores, melodic dictation, composition, arrangements...)

We've also studied the piece in a crazy amount of depth, including things like:
• The harmony, texture and form
• The phrase structure
• The features of a Mazurka
• The purpose of the dynamic markings
• The names of the ornaments and how they're played
Nice teaching work there. I think these things should always be part of repertoire study in guitar lessons.

Kudos on your efforts to inspire students to be creative, and your approach.

rwe

Post by rwe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:29 pm

Copying scores by hand is a very good training in understanding music. Another is reading music (in bed, before sleeping).

Return to “Members' Announcements”