Anon. - Donne-Moi La Fleur - D01 Video

Audio and video recordings of works from the renaissance to the baroque period, from 1530 to 1760 (e.g. Dowland, Sanz, Weiss).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - catalogue no. Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Scarlatti, Domenico - K001 Sonata - D08 Video
or Losy, J. A. - Gigue in A minor - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Drewries Accordes - Duo (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Anon. - Donne-Moi La Fleur - D01 Video

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:02 pm

Spent a few days on this one. Fun little piece. A nice end to Lesson 5. My favorite of D01, so far.

Not sure if it belongs in contemporary. Feel free to move mods.

:merci:
Boom boom boom boom.

Paul Janssen

Re: Anon - Donne-Moi La Fleur - D01 Video

Post by Paul Janssen » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi Christoper,

That's coming along nicely.

One thing you might like to look at is to ensure with a study like this that you continually alternative between your i and m fingers even when crossing strings. For example It appears in your video that you are raking your i finger from the 2nd to 3rd strings in bars 3, 7 & 15. Whilst this may seem easier and even more logical, it is best to avoid this unless there is a specific technical reason to do so (not very likely in early and intermediate repertoire). I would encourage you to look at the right hand fingering provided and follow them as written as this will help you with these descending string crosses.

Other than this small suggestion, your performance itself is very musical. Well done.

Cheers,
Paul

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Paul,

You've caught me. I'm aware of my tendency to rake. People do tend to notice. My fingers do it automatically, without thought. I must have learned to rake at some point.

It does seem more sensical and ergonomic to me.

Can you please go into more detail as to why raking might be a bad habit?

I don't want to put the time into correcting it unless I really need to. It actually seems like a better way to play. I can't come up with any drawbacks.

Thanks for feedback
Boom boom boom boom.

closet guitarist

Post by closet guitarist » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:29 am

CL- having looked at a couple of your videos your right hand looks pretty good other than the alt. problem pointed out above. I would suggest your fingers could be squared to the strings more. The technique you are using is typically used to produce the tone that you can get from playing nearer or on top of the fret board (though you might be doing this on purpose).

Your left hand needs a bit of work. There is a lot of excess movement and tension. I think playing scales while keeping each finger on the note it just played until it needs to move to play another note would be of great benefit.

Cheers

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:26 pm

There are many reasons why breaking this habit is beneficial. Firstly, it is highly unlikely that your finger will actually be in the optimum position for the playing the next note when raking to the string below. This will become more obvious as your tone develops and improves. You are likely to notice differences in tone between the higher string and the string below it that go beyond the characteristics of the strings themselves.

Secondly we do not always want to play everything apoyando (rest stroke). This may be due to the tone we are seeking or because we don't want to mute the strings below etc. Raking, but its very nature, is a rest stroke technique. By forming the habit of alternating where possible, it will be easy to do descending scale runs in both apoyando and tirando down the track.

Lastly, some argue that it is quicker to always alternate. There are, however, others that dispute this argument.

I think the main thing is that you want to be able to consciously choose whether to do an action like raking. At the moment, I think you have admitted that this has become habitual and sub-conscious. For this reason, learning to cross strings while alternating is beneficial and in my opinion is best develop as early as possible. Once you are comfortable doing both, you then have different tools that you can choose to use depending on the passage/situation.

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:23 pm

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain Paul.

I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the feedback closet guitarist. I will try the scales and reevaluate my technique for both hands.
Boom boom boom boom.

Christopher Langley

Re: Anon. - Donne-Moi La Fleur - D01 Video

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:51 am

I could kick myself for removing my old recordings. I wish I left them as evidence of progress. Oh well, here is the new one anyways.

Should be about just as musical as I remember the old one being. But, much more correct fingerings this time.

Thanks to all who helped catch my mistakes. Greatly appreciated.
Boom boom boom boom.

Return to “Our recordings of Early music”