Over 100 Scottish Lute Music Soundfiles - Free Listening

Audio and video recordings of works from the renaissance to the baroque period, from 1530 to 1760 (e.g. Dowland, Sanz, Weiss).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - catalogue no. Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Scarlatti, Domenico - K001 Sonata - D08 Video
or Losy, J. A. - Gigue in A minor - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Drewries Accordes - Duo (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
RobMacKillop

Over 100 Scottish Lute Music Soundfiles - Free Listening

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:31 pm

Four albums-worth of tunes from the Balcarres lute book from Edinburgh and Fife circa 1695, all played on two or three different baroque lutes, recorded at home. I hope you like them. The plays for the first track alone are greater in number than any of the others, but it is one of the least interesting pieces, so please do explore more! Any questions, just ask. I do have a GoFundMe page and a Patreon page, should you want to support my free work. Comments welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/robmackillop/set ... t-for-lute

or from my non-commercial website, where you can hear a few hundred more files from different Scottish lute manuscripts:

https://scottishlute.com

There are also some of Spotify.

StuMayes

Re: Over 100 Scottish Lute Music Soundfiles - Free Listening

Post by StuMayes » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:05 pm

:shock: That's some body of work, bravo!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Cheers, Stu. I'm glad someone had a look! :-)

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:47 pm

Thank you, Rob. I've been looking forward to hear you playing these pieces. I recently got hold of Matthew Spring's transcription of the Balcarres Lute Book and realised what a lot of fascinating music it contains - and how much the music at the Scottish court was influenced by French lutenists.

I've just been listening to you play Buckingham's Sarabande which seems to be a version of the French tune La Marion Pleure. I notice there's another version of the piece in the Balcarres book which is annotated as Buckingham's Sarabande, Mr. Lesslie's way, worth nothing :?

Beautiful paying as usual!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:31 am

Well, you English had poached our court in 1603, and all the Scottish lute manuscripts come from after that, so the Scottish court did not exist, and therefore couldn't be influenced by French lutenists.

The 11c lute, though, was definitely a French invention, and there are 252 pieces in Balcarres for it, with about 50 of them being of French origin. My favourite is Belle Hereuse (track 34).

In the absence of a Court, the tunes were notated by landed amateurs, but also a new class of professional musicians, including one John Beck, who features throughout Balcarres. Mathew Spring desperately tried make a German connection with the name Beck, but it is a Lowland Scots version of the Gaelic, Beag - pronounced the same as Beck - meaning small. So, John Small or John Little would be an English translation.

We in Scotland must thank Beck for winning an important court case. He challenged the Parliament's (that's the Scottish Parliament, which wasn't disbanded until 1707) sole right to promote concerts. He won the case, and since then we have been able to put on concerts without first having to apply to the parliament.

Although the estate of Balcarres is in Fife, Beck was active in Edinburgh, where he might well have met French musicians. The music shows an interest in developing a bass line, which Scottish lute manuscripts had not shown any interest in before.

I don't know if I'll ever finish recording all 252 pieces - I'm two fifths of the way through it. Maybe if I live another twenty years, and can still hold a lute...

sniggl

Post by sniggl » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:34 pm

Wow!! Thank you Rob, these Scottish melodies are lovely!
They leave you in a really good and happy mood!

:merci: :casque:
Guitar: Sebastian Stenzel (2008)

"Es ist schon alles gesagt, nur noch nicht von allen." ( Karl Valentin)

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:35 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:31 am
Well, you English had poached our court in 1603, and all the Scottish lute manuscripts come from after that, so the Scottish court did not exist, and therefore couldn't be influenced by French lutenists.
Oops, I had forgotten that :oops:
RobMacKillop wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:31 am
I don't know if I'll ever finish recording all 252 pieces - I'm two fifths of the way through it. Maybe if I live another twenty years, and can still hold a lute...
I hope you do manage it :)
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:40 pm

Cheers, sniggle. Most people find them quite mournful and introspective. But if you are happy, I am happy too!

Eric - maybe on day, but then what? Computers won't know what an MP3 is!

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:26 pm

What a treasure, Rob! So many pieces to explore! :bravo: :merci: :bye:
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

sniggl

Post by sniggl » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:30 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:40 pm
Cheers, sniggle. Most people find them quite mournful and introspective. But if you are happy, I am happy too!
You're right, happy is probably not the word for it (that's because of my bad English).
Maybe I should have said serene or cheerful. :roll:
But for example the first Menut: It does not sound mournful to me!
On the other hand, it is always a joy to listen to beautiful music! :D

And to be honest, I have not heard all 100 titles. I will do that and I am sure then discover the mournfull ones. :bye:
Guitar: Sebastian Stenzel (2008)

"Es ist schon alles gesagt, nur noch nicht von allen." ( Karl Valentin)

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:33 pm

Yes, as I mentioned in the original post, that minuet gets more plays than any other piece, but is quite uninteresting. But as I am mainly going through the manuscript sequentially, it comes first.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:34 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:26 pm
What a treasure, Rob! So many pieces to explore! :bravo: :merci: :bye:
Cheers, Erik. Happy exploring!

Return to “Our recordings of Early music”