Pachelbel, Johann - Canon in D - Video

Audio and video recordings of works from the renaissance to the baroque period, from 1530 to 1760 (e.g. Dowland, Sanz, Weiss).
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - catalogue no. Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Scarlatti, Domenico - K001 Sonata - D08 Video
or Losy, J. A. - Gigue in A minor - D04 (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or Anon. - Drewries Accordes - Duo (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Erud

Pachelbel, Johann - Canon in D - Video

Post by Erud » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:00 pm

Hi all,

As I'm quite new to the forums, so is my classical guitar skill. I've only been playing for about three years, and I've never had a teacher (which I would be very thankful to get). This statement makes me post a video of one of my performances of Pachebel's Canon to ask you lot which kind of technique, knowlegde and information I may benefit a lot from at my stage. I have no teacher but I have the best comminuty here to ask :D :merci:

I've chosen this piece because it's very popular and I assume many have already had their hands on it. I've tried with the arrangement in dropped D tuning but it's too tricky for me at this point. instead I go with the capo - C-shape version. I know the video contains a lot of punishments in my chord shifts, volume fails and 16th note runs which could somehow reach a more respectable stage of execution, but how?

As always, thanks in advance and happy playing to you all

Mode

Re: Pachelbel, Johann - Canon in D - Video

Post by Mode » Sat May 04, 2019 2:46 pm

Hi Erud, very nice!

It’s coming along nicely. From what you write I gather you’re self taught. I have a few suggestions. First is to be very mindful of posture as it’s something that can create problems (including pain/injury down the line). The thumb in the left hand tends to stick out, normally you’d want it on the back of the neck. It may be the recording but the sound seems a bit weak and at times uneaven. For something like this scales and right hand exercises can help.

Have you checked out the forum section on online classical guitar lessons? You can register and follow lessons and the community of students and tutors is very nice and helpful.

One last minor comment is that Pachelbel fits best in the early music section as he’s a Baroque composer :D

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

M.

Locutus

Post by Locutus » Sat May 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Very interesting comments on posture etc
Thank you

jfcx

Post by jfcx » Sat May 04, 2019 5:15 pm

Hi Erud,

I am curious to know which transcription you are playing.

Thanks for your help.

Erud

Post by Erud » Sat May 04, 2019 8:31 pm

Thanks a lot for your feedback Mode. I looked up for classical guitar posture immidiately and found I have to sit a lot more straight, my neck and shoulders are in a horrible position in this video. Also thumb position is definitely something I should work on, did not noticed that either. Geeze I would be thankful to have a teacher, I will look on the section for classical guitar lessons. As for the scales, balance and volume, it's me not being able to control the technique and volume all the way through, also something to keep working on. Again thanks for taking your time to listen, look and put your feedback, I bet it will be very helpful in long term. Now I have my hands full of stuff to work on.

Jfcx - I have re-arranged it, wanted to add something personal to the piece. Not huge differences, but I've had my hands on serveral versions including: Classical from Hal Leonards, Allen Mathews', Per-Olov Kindgren (dropped D version), Bradford Werner and Keith Gehle.

jfcx

Post by jfcx » Sat May 04, 2019 10:19 pm

Would you mind sharing your arrangement? Since I am about the same level as you, I do not dare comment on your technique but I did enjoy listening to your interpretation and I would like to try it myself. Thank you!

Erud

Post by Erud » Sat May 04, 2019 10:36 pm

Would be my honour and pleasure to share it. Appearently not allowed to attach PDF files to this post, but if you post your email here or in a private message I will send it too you as soon as I wake up in the morning.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun May 05, 2019 12:05 am

Very nice playing! I really enjoyed watching you play this Canon. Thank you for posting the video!

Erud

Post by Erud » Sun May 05, 2019 6:28 am

Thanks for your interest Jfcx and Spanishguitar. Inspires me to keep playing

lawcch

Post by lawcch » Wed May 08, 2019 3:46 am

nice try for you, Mr Eurd. I think you can play Canon in D major which sound much better but there are a section you need to play lively fast speed to achieve the right tempo. what guitar are you using i the video?
Jose Antonio JR200 "Jose Romanillos replicate guitar"
Yamaha GC 7M model
Kenny Hill La Curva model

Erud

Post by Erud » Wed May 08, 2019 4:45 am

Hi Lawcch
I've just started practicing the Canon in D without a capo and in dropped D tuning. The above arrangement is also in D major if you put capo on 2nd fret but use mostly open chords. I really want to throw away my capo as it limits the fretboard, maybe in a couple of years haha.
My guitar is an Alhambra 7P

Have a good day :)

Return to “Our recordings of Early music”