Frank Wallace on his new Green

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
acmost9

Re: Frank Wallace on his new Green

Post by acmost9 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:02 am

Beautiful, love Frank's playing & on the instruments that pass through your shop and of course this one that you built for him. Congrats to both of you. I wouldn't know of your guitars without this website & I wouldn't have ever heard Frank play without you.

Well I mean, that's the whole mixing/mastering thing...how does it translate on all
mediums - mono/stereo, laptop, audiophile rigs, car stereos, AM/FM, headphones, etc.

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:05 am

Oh yeah, one other thing...the most horrible question. Can you say what bass/treble & brand/tension strings are on this guitar? Hey delcamp!

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:17 pm

acmost9 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:02 am
Beautiful, love Frank's playing & on the instruments that pass through your shop and of course this one that you built for him. Congrats to both of you. I wouldn't know of your guitars without this website & I wouldn't have ever heard Frank play without you.

Well I mean, that's the whole mixing/mastering thing...how does it translate on all
mediums - mono/stereo, laptop, audiophile rigs, car stereos, AM/FM, headphones, etc.
Thank you.

Your point about mixing and mastering of course is absolutely right. However these videos do serve a slightly different purpose than just being an enjoyable musical experience. They are designed to convey accurately as possible the experience of a particular instrument. That’s a concern very much outside of the norm in recording. I certainly hear people’s comments.

I will also say that in most cases, people still want to try out the instrument prior to purchasing. Which of course is fine by me. This does not alter my view on my responsibility to be as accurate as possible in representing the guitars. Actually quite the opposite as thats where the rubber meets the road, when someone gets the guitar in their hands.

Insofar as strings, lately on my guitars I’ve been using Augustine regal trebles and La Bella 2001 basses. Frank had put on a set of D’Addarios that are on the guitar in this recording. J45s I think. I’m honestly not a fan of D’Addario strings but in Frank’s hands, what can I say? Sounds great. Probably has a lot to do with Frank though 😁
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:35 pm

im not familiar with the piece but is a great one for showing off the potential of sound the guitar can produce. Sounds great Aaron. is this your concert model or your more traditional inspired?
2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple) 2018 Simon Ambridge Model 40 Satinwood. 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce, 2017 Richard Reynoso, spruce/maple, 2015 Herman Hauser III(Cedar)2005 Tacchi Coclea

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:05 pm

Dofpic wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:35 pm
im not familiar with the piece but is a great one for showing off the potential of sound the guitar can produce. Sounds great Aaron. is this your concert model or your more traditional inspired?
I agree, it’s a fantastic piece of music for showing off a guitar at its best. The first recording Frank did of this piece was on a spectacular 1949 Hauser I was representing at the time. It knocked my socks off. I’ll be uploading to YouTube more Frank videos, probably this weekend

Frank’s guitar is a design I’ve been working with for a few years. It’s heavily influenced by Bouchet and Friederich but that influence is more about how the guitar feels in the left hand (soft) and the pianistic quality of its response. It still has a very traditional tone palette and bloom to the notes. In other words the bracing is neither Bouchet nor Friederich although I have to say, the 1968 Friederich I currently have in stock has some similar aspects to its bracing as what I’m doing here. Which delighted me no end. One thing about this period of his work is I’ve never seen two braced exactly the same. I should also say that the late 60s and 70s spruce tops are my favorite Friederich guitars. Apparently they are his favorite guitars too.
Last edited by Aaron Green on Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

eno

Post by eno » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:23 pm

Aaron, being privileged to play one of your guitars I can only say that they are truly amazing with beautiful, colorful and lively sound. I still don't give up on the plans to buy one for myself sometime when my budget allows.

Frank's playing is also great. Sometimes I wish he would have more delicate touch but I guess his strong attack is his playing style that he chose and enjoys.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Takamine C136S 1976
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967

acmost9

Post by acmost9 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:06 am

Hey, it is all good - some people like verb, some don't and so on...
Your instrument sounds fantastic, he sounds excellent as always & it's also quite an endorsement for EJ45s if that is what they are.

Aaron Green wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:17 pm
acmost9 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:02 am

Thank you.

Your point about mixing and mastering of course is absolutely right. However these videos do serve a slightly different purpose than just being an enjoyable musical experience. They are designed to convey accurately as possible the experience of a particular instrument. That’s a concern very much outside of the norm in recording. I certainly hear people’s comments.

I will also say that in most cases, people still want to try out the instrument prior to purchasing. Which of course is fine by me. This does not alter my view on my responsibility to be as accurate as possible in representing the guitars. Actually quite the opposite as thats where the rubber meets the road, when someone gets the guitar in their hands.

Insofar as strings, lately on my guitars I’ve been using Augustine regal trebles and La Bella 2001 basses. Frank had put on a set of D’Addarios that are on the guitar in this recording. J45s I think. I’m honestly not a fan of D’Addario strings but in Frank’s hands, what can I say? Sounds great. Probably has a lot to do with Frank though 😁

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:28 pm

No problem. I am happy to hear and address all points and input. I still liked his guitar better with the La Bella/Augustine combo as I think there was more high end sparkle to the notes as it were. But once again, in his hands, I can't argue with the results.
Aaron Green, Luthier

bear

Post by bear » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:33 pm

such a beautiful noise, thank you.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:48 pm

Thank you kind sir!
Aaron Green, Luthier

jurica_c

Post by jurica_c » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:11 pm

Beautiful thank you.

Carey

Post by Carey » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:29 am

Aaron Green wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:05 pm
Dofpic wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:35 pm
I agree, it’s a fantastic piece of music for showing off a guitar at its best. The first recording Frank did of this piece was on a spectacular 1949 Hauser I was representing at the time. It knocked my socks off. I’ll be uploading to YouTube more Frank videos, probably this weekend

Frank’s guitar is a design I’ve been working with for a few years. It’s heavily influenced by Bouchet and Friederich but that influence is more about how the guitar feels in the left hand (soft) and the pianistic quality of its response. It still has a very traditional tone palette and bloom to the notes. In other words the bracing is neither Boucher nor Frieddrich although I have to say, the 1968 Friederich I currently have in stock has some similar aspects to its bracing as what I’m doing here. Which delighted me no end. One thing about this period of his work is I’ve never seen two braced exactly the same. I should also say that the late 60s and 70s spruce tops are my favorite Friederich guitars. Apparently they are his favorite guitars too.
Pablo Marquez's '72 Friederich (spruce) sure sounds good on his ECM Narvaez recording.

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:26 pm

I’ll check that out. I’ve represented about 6 or 7 spruce tops from that vintage and they’ve all been wonderful.
Aaron Green, Luthier

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:09 pm

eno wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:23 pm
Aaron, being privileged to play one of your guitars I can only say that they are truly amazing with beautiful, colorful and lively sound. I still don't give up on the plans to buy one for myself sometime when my budget allows.

Frank's playing is also great. Sometimes I wish he would have more delicate touch but I guess his strong attack is his playing style that he chose and enjoys.

Thank you for your kind words about my guitar. You are more than welcome to come out to the studio. I’d be happy to show you the latest work as well as all the beautiful vintage guitars in stock

Thank you again!
Aaron
Aaron Green, Luthier

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:59 pm

my guitar
I'd heard this guitar before at Frank's home, but heard him play it in a house concert yesterday. It is a real stunner. Granted, Frank could make a cigar-box guitar sound great, but this guitar in his hands is magnificent. It has a huge presence and is warm and clear, and has a wonderful range of tone color. It sounds the same above the 12th fret as it does below, across all the strings. I'm not good at describing these things, except to say this guitar's just amazing: kudos, Aaron!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Return to “Our favourite websites”