[Youtube] Interesting interview with Eliot Fisk

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
glassynails

[Youtube] Interesting interview with Eliot Fisk

Post by glassynails » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:53 am

He seems like a very intelligent guy!
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

John Oster

Re: [Youtube] Interesting interview with Eliot Fisk

Post by John Oster » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:00 pm

Thanks for posting it. That's one of my favorite pieces--no one plays it with the intensity that Fisk does!
Kolya Panhuyzen 2012 cedar/Br

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:20 pm

To my way of thinking, Maw's "Music of Memory" should be considered in direct alignment with what the Bach-Segovia "Chaconne" was 80 years ago, or what the Britten "Nocturnal" was 50 years ago. It is a significant new musical peak for the CG repertoire (albeit not THAT new), a third pinnacle of equal importance to the two which I previously cited, and one which really needs to be mastered by any player who has intentions of making a professional concert career in this day and age.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:47 pm

It's hard to find a piece that is musically interesting/challenging, pushes players to the limits of playability (in places), all the while still sounding like music! "Music of Memory" readily fills all of those requirements. I heard Fisk play it years ago--a staggering display of virtuosity. It's too bad he hasn't recorded it. I think it's more musically accessible than Kurt Schwertsik's "Ein kleines Requiem", for instance, which Fisk has recently recorded.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:43 pm

glassynails wrote:He seems like a very intelligent guy!
He can talk the talk but he sure can't walk the walk

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:31 am

David_Norton wrote:To my way of thinking, Maw's "Music of Memory" should be considered in direct alignment with what the Bach-Segovia "Chaconne" was 80 years ago, or what the Britten "Nocturnal" was 50 years ago. It is a significant new musical peak for the CG repertoire (albeit not THAT new), a third pinnacle of equal importance to the two which I previously cited, and one which really needs to be mastered by any player who has intentions of making a professional concert career in this day and age.
Sorry, but although I found Eliot and the interview interesting (mostly because of his passion for the music) I can't stand Maw or Britten. Very unlistenable music in my opinion. I don't know how people could sit through 20 minutes of Britten or Maw. Just my opinion of course. I couldn't see either Segovia or Llobet liking this type of music.
"GLASSYNAILS" on Youtoob for my "no edit" - "no fakery" audio recordings. Just me, my Alhambra 7p spruce, and an Olympus ls-10 portable recorder.

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:51 am

Gary Macleod wrote:
Oh, how original--another Fisk-bashing. :roll:
Last edited by John Oster on Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:39 pm

tubeman wrote:Oh, how original--another Fisk-bashing. :roll:
I'm not bashing Fisk, I don't like Maw or Britten really.

John Oster

Post by John Oster » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:26 pm

glassynails wrote:
tubeman wrote:Oh, how original--another Fisk-bashing. :roll:
I'm not bashing Fisk, I don't like Maw or Britten really.
And I didn't direct that at you! Sorry--should have quoted the offending post. Will do that now. But while I'm at it, just because Segovia wouldn't like it doesn't mean it isn't good! :wink:

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:57 pm

tubeman wrote:
Gary Macleod wrote:

Your point ?

glassynails

Post by glassynails » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:57 pm

tubeman wrote:
Gary Macleod wrote:
I think I agree with Gary, but you're right, let's not turn it into a Fisk-bashing thread. Fisk is a smart guy and very passionate about the guitar and the repertoire, but that's about as far as I go to be honest. I did enjoy listening to him talk, of course he could of let the interviewer talk a little more too I think.

Return to “Our favourite websites”