Videos of lesser known pieces and Transcriptions

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Re: Videos of lesser known pieces and Transcriptions

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:34 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:29 pm
Beautiful, Christian, thank you for posting. You really have to promise to take me to one of these concerts...
Thank you Jorge. These concerts are normally on the festivals - there was a very good festival in Lisbon called Guitarmania and the concerts used to take place in the Palácio Foz and in the Igreja dos Capuchos na Caparica which has a very interessting acoustic. As soon that I know about something I will alert you of course to come with me!
David Gutowski wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:04 am
He's very talented...thanks for posting-really enjoy the videos and gives me needed motivation.
Best,
David
Thank you David for your words it is encouraging for me to keep posting. If you want a tipp for progressing: Choose your repertoire very carefully, pieces that suits your level, or just slightly more dificult as your level, or even easier. Choose them in a way that you can keep your entusiasme , it should be a repertoire which motivates you completly. There are a lot of easier pieces with great musicality and in the end of the day the goal is to play music no matter on which level, you can make music with 3 notes, if you are able to do so of course. An important subject when playing guitar is tone production and how to make it sound really, does'nt matter how many notes you play per minute, this is no typewriting competition. Unfortunatly we are often more focused on playing dificult things, even when normal public can't distinguish an easy piece from a dificult. It is also a good help if you have good sight reading skills because you can really focus more on interpretation when you just can follow the score and try to get the best sound out of it!

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:38 am

Thanks Christian for the playing pointers...it really helped me to log everything and I've started including playing notes and will add your comments to the log. You must also have experience as a music teacher. I started playing in 2011, when I retired from school in 2013 I had the opportunity to spend more time with the guitar. I'm self-taught but if I could go back in time, I would have worked with a teacher. I've made a lot of progress but most of it was through trial and error...which takes up a lot of time and energy trying to get it "right" but I'm sure it would have been easier with a teacher; took years just to find the right sitting and holding position, not to mention tone production etc. But I play quite a bit different now than when I started and I'm happy with that.

I understand what you mean about interesting repertoire. I spent too much time on studies but now only play what I like and stuff that sounds good...very good point. One of the things that helps with my motivation is to play extemporaneously or improvisation. I run up and down the neck with chord progressions and mix in scales in the key and to me it sounds great...or at least different every time I play. Fun to do.

Sight reading has gotten a lot better. One very successful way of learning the notes and note position or even different movements in the pieces is to run them through your mind at night as you fall asleep...works remarkably well, helps me fall asleep faster and occupies the mind with something more important than just random thoughts. Maybe that's why I'm falling asleep during my practice sessions in the daytime! :D

Thanks again for the videos and talking with you.

Twonote
Guitralchemist
David :fume:
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:18 am

David Gutowski wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:38 am
Thanks Christian for the playing pointers...it really helped me to log everything and I've started including playing notes and will add your comments to the log. You must also have experience as a music teacher. I started playing in 2011, when I retired from school in 2013 I had the opportunity to spend more time with the guitar. I'm self-taught but if I could go back in time, I would have worked with a teacher. I've made a lot of progress but most of it was through trial and error...which takes up a lot of time and energy trying to get it "right" but I'm sure it would have been easier with a teacher; took years just to find the right sitting and holding position, not to mention tone production etc. But I play quite a bit different now than when I started and I'm happy with that.

I understand what you mean about interesting repertoire. I spent too much time on studies but now only play what I like and stuff that sounds good...very good point. One of the things that helps with my motivation is to play extemporaneously or improvisation. I run up and down the neck with chord progressions and mix in scales in the key and to me it sounds great...or at least different every time I play. Fun to do.

Sight reading has gotten a lot better. One very successful way of learning the notes and note position or even different movements in the pieces is to run them through your mind at night as you fall asleep...works remarkably well, helps me fall asleep faster and occupies the mind with something more important than just random thoughts. Maybe that's why I'm falling asleep during my practice sessions in the daytime! :D

Thanks again for the videos and talking with you.

Twonote
Guitralchemist
Thank you David, I am glad that you found the tipps were usefull. Playing progressive chords and improvisation is very good, and you learn a lot about the physics of the instrument, harmonies and the possibilities, and it is fun. That is the good thing on our instrument that the corelations and proportions stay the same, and same image corresponds to same harmony. And it is an excellent thing to remember your positions and scores and details in your head! I did teach CG during a year when I was about 19, but I am not a great teacher and it is not easy with most kids. I did improvise a lot with friends and during a time I had a duo with another guitarist. During many years I insisted to play my own music and just the word conservatory did give me the creeps and I found it always a sinonym for "canned" music. Even if I play a lot of classical and did engage a lot to progress about 15 years ago a find it still a problem this gap between the CG comunity and the real world and for me in any case the goal is to make music for real people and not for an insider comunity: I do atach a link to a play back recording I made about 20 years ago - it is a kind of fusion bossa improvisation recorded on a Fostex multi track tape recorder. It is fragile but I love it precisely because of that. I named it Gentle Breeze. All the best and see you around Christian https://soundcloud.com/user-255370415/gentle-breeze

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:23 am

Thanks again Christian for the helpful playing comments and the recording... sounds good.

Talk to you on the forum,
David
And I agree about the kids. I taught special needs junior high level for 40 years. I miss it but glad my only challenge now is playing cg.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

musikai

Post by musikai » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:59 am

ChristianSchwengeler wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:25 pm
Let's continue with another rare recording, it is Dejan Ivanovic playing at the Guimarães Guitar Festival in 2013, at the Paço dos Duques de Bragança and this was at the same time the premiere of the piece "SuiTUs" by Ricardo Abreu, which also apears in the video in the end when he is presented to the public as the composer of this fantastic piece.

Dejan Ivanovic is an outstanding and internationally known guitarist from Croacia who lives in Portugal since about 20 years and is professor for classical guitar at the University of Evora.

Ricardo Abreu is guitar teacher at Escola Profissional de Música de Espinho and has other very interessting and beautifull compositions. Please enjoy and don't forget to reply on the posts as it is annoying talking to myself, as this is a forum not the facebook.

This is very beautiful, Thank you!!!
Free Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:49 pm

musikai wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:59 am
This is very beautiful, Thank you!!!
I am glad that you are able to apreciate it and thank you for sharing!

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:33 pm

Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:26 pm

Personally I find it absolutly amazing how many gifted and extremly creative players and composers we have actualy in Portugal and it makes me optimistic that the guitar can make it, outside from the insider guitar scene of the competitions and festivals and manage to have a real public, which is absolutly necessary.

I'll keep posting and still have some candidates in the line.. See you around, all the best.
Am looking forward to what you post next.

Here is a very well known piece. I'm calling it a lesser known transcription so it qualifies for the thread :) The arrangement is by Juan Calderon, who is the performer. I love these unedited recordings. Dejan Ivanovic's performance was sublime.

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:19 am

Here is another by Juan Calderon. From his Preludes and Etudes for the Guitar:

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:42 pm

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:19 am
Here is another by Juan Calderon. From his Preludes and Etudes for the Guitar:
Hi Marshall thank you for posting and replying! I like the second "The Shepherd" a lot, beautiful!

As you asked me what comes next I will explain:

About 6 or 7 years ago a young guy stepped by in my workshop, his name is Bruno Teixeira, and asked my to give him guitar building classes - I told him that I had no time for this and that there are anyway too many luthiers on the market and it is too hard to make a serious living from it and that I see no point in teaching him.

But he insisted and found another luthier who showed him the basics and built his first guitar as a kind of "traveling salesman",basically he went to all the worshops he could, to have built for him part of the instrument, one thicknessed the top on the sander, another routet out a nice rosette with a cnc router, another did bend the sides for him etc.and in the end he went to a place to get it finshed. So little by little he became more serious about it and must be meanwhile at his nº 8 perhaps. I bought some amazone rosewood with him and we found a guy who cuts it into backs and sides for us and we have been in touch sometimes.

Happens that he studied classcial guitar at Conservatory of Póvoa de Stº Adrião with André Gross until the diplome and he is a guitar teacher in Odivelas, a suburb of Lisbon. He has a few compositions of his own, played by him self and I do post here one of these. I like it a lot. The guitar in the video is one of his own, not bad at all. He is what we call here a "fura vida", which means a guy who drills holes throu the troubles of life to get where he needs to go to, and I find this a fantastic attitude.

So have fun

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:40 am

As nobody does reply my vengance will be terrible :mrgreen: The girl on the accordeon in the video is Inês Vaz and she is one of the best accordeon players in Europe of her generation. She is from Lisbon and she is quite something! Take care, you have been warned, don't fall in love.This is one more recording of her, Inês Vaz solo on Accordeon: Csardas by Vittorio Monti, which died in 1922, so the compositon is public domain and no copyright infringment.

Last edited by ChristianSchwengeler on Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jorge Oliveira

Post by Jorge Oliveira » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:26 am

Amazing… I live in Portugal and I had never heard anything about her. A pity the video is a bit dark, one cannot see the LH ad RH buttons of the instrument. I know the accordion is quite popular in this country but it is mostly used in folk music, I think. Nevertheless this class of instruments have a wonderful sound. And can you imagine the necessary independence of both hands, together with the movement of the left arm in order to supply air to the instrument (a quite heavy one, by the way)? Not to mention that soft or loud notes are achieved but pumping the air into the instrument bellows with less or more energy. And we think that playing guitar is difficult... :shock:
1972 - Kuniharu Nobe #8, 658/52, Spr, IN RW, Tokyo, JP
1976 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.50, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
1979 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.40, 650/53, Ced, IN RW, JP
2014 - Hermanos Camps Master Nº 3, 650/52, CA Ced, MG RW, Banyoles, ES

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:53 pm

Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:40 am
As nobody does reply my vengance will be terrible :mrgreen:
My sister plays the accordian. I am not fazed by your vengeance. :D

A short while ago member Isabelle Frisac posted a video of an ensemble playing ancient French music: https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/ ... 0&t=125953

This brought to mind a recording I have called "New French Folk Music" by the group Ad Vielle que Poura. But what I really missed was the vielle, or hurdy-gurdy.

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:50 pm

When submitting these other instruments I think we should be carefull about arousing any jealousy in classical guitarists because of, you know ... Volume envy. :D

That isn't a problem for this guitarist.

PS - I should have mentioned that Anastasia Bardina is playing a Mazurka by Adrey Sikhra (1773-1850).

Last edited by Marshall Dixon on Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:24 am

Take care, you have been warned, don't fall in love.
I fell in love with her...send me her phone number; but don't tell her I'm 75.
Wonderful talent...thanks for posting.

Twonote
guitralchemist

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

ChristianSchwengeler
Luthier

Post by ChristianSchwengeler » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:42 pm

Jorge Oliveira wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:26 am
Amazing… I live in Portugal and I had never heard anything about her. A pity the video is a bit dark, one cannot see the LH ad RH buttons of the instrument. I know the accordion is quite popular in this country but it is mostly used in folk music, I think. Nevertheless this class of instruments have a wonderful sound. And can you imagine the necessary independence of both hands, together with the movement of the left arm in order to supply air to the instrument (a quite heavy one, by the way)? Not to mention that soft or loud notes are achieved but pumping the air into the instrument bellows with less or more energy. And we think that playing guitar is difficult... :shock:
Hi Jorge, yes we have plenty of excellent musicians which are not so well known in their own country. The accordeon on the video costs as much as a new car and it is a sponsored instrument which she won most probably on a competition. The instrument is really big when you consider that she is about 155cm tal only and it is true that it must be a big effort to play on it. I know her personally and we hired her once to play on a private dinner party and it was a success!
Marshall Dixon wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:53 pm
As nobody does reply my vengance will be terrible :mrgreen:
My sister plays the accordian. I am not fazed by your vengeance. :D
Yes the hurdy-gurdy is very nice and it is funny it sounds pretty oriental in some way and I like it a lot. You should post a video of your sister too! I wonder always if you are a Marshall or if it is just a username, or if you use Marshall as a personal name in the US? Orgeon must be nice, at least I think that you are from there is this correct? There is a band form the 70ties which is called Oregon and I like it a lot. I am Swiss originally and Oregon can't be so diferent in some places or is it?
David Gutowski wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:24 am
Take care, you have been warned, don't fall in love.
I fell in love with her...send me her phone number; but don't tell her I'm 75.
Wonderful talent...thanks for posting.

Twonote
guitralchemist
I have her phone number...She is not only nice in the video but live even more, she has this glance in the eyes, and she performs fantastic in puplic, we hired her once to play for us on a party and we did not regret! We started a few years ago to invite artists to play on our private parties and it is a good thing to do and guests are really overwelmed when they realize that there are real musicians playing made from flesh and blood.
Last edited by ChristianSchwengeler on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Our favourite websites”