Moonlight Sonata: Harp Guitar

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Laudiesdad69

Re: Moonlight Sonata: Harp Guitar

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:28 am

I had to stop halfway through...because I did get a little excited. I thiught here is a piece that I can teach my daughter, if I can find a suitable score for six string guitar. I will have to check delcamp scores. As far as the performance goes, I really liked it because the low bass notes reminded me of the low keys on my Dad's concert grand, and I liked the sustain, which I thought suited the piece very well. I mean it was a piano piece to begin with wasn't it? I can only imagine how those sonorous low notes actually feel when you are holding the instrument against your chest. You'd definitely feel it in your heart.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:31 am

I have to get one of those guitars...my grandkids would go crazy...they might even watch me play it! Thanks for posting...it does sound a little funny with the base not really blending with the six string...but I wouldn't call the performance what some others called it...think how the performer would feel if he read such a negative, short review. He is, after all, a fellow guitarist.

Which reminds me of a conversation I had with my oldest grandson, who graduated from college a few years ago and is now working in California. We were talking about why his girlfriend left him and returned to her old boyfriend, who is having difficulties with substance abuse and employment and he was feeling a little low. So I mentioned to him he should join a music group and maybe he could find the love of his life. He said: "Why"?

I proceeded to go on a long explanation of how sensitive and caring musicians generally are and it would be a good place to get to know and date a sensitive, loving women that hopefully he would find happiness with and live a blissful, happy married life. He responded with an amazing answer that I would never have expected. Now remember, this is from a young man, college educated, very good looking, tall and in excellent shape...and probably a little broken hearted because his girlfriend moved on and, in my judgment in need of someone.

He said he could never date a musician because there're all liberals. I just looked at him in amazement. And I thought to myself (besides probably why he lost his girlfriend) how can he judge all musicians as liberals. He hasn't even joined a music group or met one of the members and he's already judged them because of their political philosophy and how he could never contemplate getting to know a liberal musician. How can a college graduate, that is well employed and intelligent, make such a determination on his future happiness.

After a long moment of silence, I reminded him that I was a musician and played cg and he should check out a music club anyway. But he was not interested and I tried to tell him opposites attract and he would be better off with a sensitive female musician. I wished him luck and we left the restaurant. On the way home he tried to justify his position by reminding me Einstein found a women that was his equal. I told him about the way Einstein treated his wife and she was not as smart as he was and he gave her direction to never bother him when he was in his study etc. and didn't think they were so happily married...but his mind was made up. I think I also reminded him what happens to people who spend too much time looking for miss right-miss perfect.
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

bzel

Post by bzel » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:28 am

Rognvald wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:43 am
I found this wonderful performance of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" played by Brin Addison on a Harp Guitar. What do you think? Playing again . . . Rognvald https://youtu.be/V_YFRZZpK6g
I feel this performance is too slow, and the phrasing is predictable.
Although the instrument is fascinating the performance would be much better if the player stopped playing all the chords in an arpeggio fashion. By separating the bass note from the treble the music becomes cumbersome.

Check out this guitar version by Byron Zeliotis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8KxvYVMdKE

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:59 pm
Rognvald, I have no issue with the artist’s performance or the beautiful classic piece he is interpreting. I could certainly not do better. And of course everyone has their own tastes, and your question was valid and deserves a more mature response, or none at all.

Having said that, this piece IMHO May not be best represented on this instrument. Or maybe the instrument is not well suited for this piece. If you have to add that many strings (which I think detracts from the sonority of the guitar) find a quartet.
Yes, as Segovia said: "better to add another finger to the human hand than another string to the guitar!"

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:48 pm

Ahh, that has better pacing and phrasing and the notes being closer is a good thing. Those extra strings can work about as well as a triangle hanging off of a piano sometimes.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:24 am

bzel wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:28 am
Rognvald wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:43 am
I found this wonderful performance of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" played by Brin Addison on a Harp Guitar. What do you think? Playing again . . . Rognvald https://youtu.be/V_YFRZZpK6g
I feel this performance is too slow, and the phrasing is predictable.
Although the instrument is fascinating the performance would be much better if the player stopped playing all the chords in an arpeggio fashion. By separating the bass note from the treble the music becomes cumbersome.

Check out this guitar version by Byron Zeliotis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8KxvYVMdKE

Nice video...interesting visual mix. I'm currently working on this piece...thanks for sharing.
David

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:59 pm
Rognvald, I have no issue with the artist’s performance or the beautiful classic piece he is interpreting. I could certainly not do better. And of course everyone has their own tastes, and your question was valid and deserves a more mature response, or none at all.

Having said that, this piece IMHO May not be best represented on this instrument. Or maybe the instrument is not well suited for this piece. If you have to add that many strings (which I think detracts from the sonority of the guitar) find a quartet.
Yes, as Segovia said: "better to add another finger to the human hand than another string to the guitar!"

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:14 pm

I'd agree that 'crap' is not a good descriptive word, being emotional, hyperbolic and unnecessarily rude. But if I was short of time it would sum up my view.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:50 am

That's exactly what I said to the cop that stopped me on Sunday for going fifty in a thirty-five speed zone...was going to church and had four grandkids in the car with me and I explained the youngest was going to be late for class...strangely enough, he just gave me a warning but suggested I slow down. Now I'll have to drive the limits because I used up probably the only warning I'll ever get-they do keep the warnings on your record. So... people should keep in mind if they are too busy to write a decent or through critique of a piece it will stay on the written record forever. If you only have the time to say "sounds like crap" why bother to even make a judgment...if you take the time to make that kind of comment, knowing it will be recorded forever, you could also spend time with an explanation more suitable...just my opinion.

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

brooks

Post by brooks » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:32 pm

I would be tempted to call this interpretation "Fluorescent Light Sonata". The whole mood of the piece - soft, ethereal, mysterious - was completely destroyed by the senseless phrasing and the excessive, random and therefore unmusical rubato the origins of which were probably as Mark described:
Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:04 pm
Disregarding interpretation, quality of sound etc., just the many hiatus moments (whilst preparing a new right hand position?) killed it for me.
Unlike Mark though, I could not listen to the end. Nails on a chalkboard. Here's a nice version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irkraA_KkcQ

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:56 pm

I have no interest in commenting on the harp guitar video, but that Rubinstein performance is sublime! Thanks, Brooks!

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:44 am

Yes, wonderful interpretation. Thanks for the link.

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:34 pm

nm

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:05 pm

First a bit of nit-picking: this isn't the Moonlight Sonata, just the first movement of the sonata.

This type of performance of an arrangement of a well known piece for another instrument always leaves me in a quandary. I admire what the transcriber and player are trying to do - BUT., BUT...

Rather than spell out my reservations I would ask people to listen to (and watch) one of the great Beethoven interpreters from the last century play the movement.

Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:20 pm

JohnB wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:05 pm
First a bit of nit-picking: this isn't the Moonlight Sonata, just the first movement of the sonata...
Indeed! I do wonder how many people realise that? The final movement of the sonata is one of the most exhilarating pieces of music ever written! Here's an electrifying performance (on piano, of course) by Murray Perahia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=352qLWqKN-U

philip caldwell

Post by philip caldwell » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:53 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:29 am
Sounds like crap to me.
me too. And the harp bit sound out of tune

philip caldwell

Post by philip caldwell » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:17 pm

...and your demands on other people to demonstrate for you how wonderfully they can play, is a typical fallacy that is constantly used in music and sport and any area where skill is needed as an attempted rebuff. It's underlying claim is; show us how good you are and if you can't perform superbly well then that means that your opinions are invalid also. This of course is an entirely false argument as there is no causal relationship between the two things.

Return to “Our favourite websites”