Re: Sight-Reading Development

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
mscman45

Post by mscman45 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi everyone!

Before school started up back in August all of us music teachers had a professional development session where different music company representatives presented the various new music products available for school music teachers.
One of our the presenters shared a site called SightReadingFactory.com with us and it is a great website devoted specifically for creating sight-reading exercises.

The people who created the website are a band director and a software designer so they really put a lot of thought into what the software program needs to do. Different keys, time signatures, rhythms, exact pitches (you can specify to just learn all the notes on the first string, second string, or whatever) can all be specified in advance.

I've been using the site every day with my guitar students and it really works.

Highly recommended site A+++++!

FrankBlack

Post by FrankBlack » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:16 pm

Thank you for this post. This app addresses something I've complained about for a long time...

Any sight-reading applications (and I mean ANY) that does not precisely play-back the offered material to the student is sub-standard.
We all make massive assumptions when it comes to musicianship, but I think those assumptions are magnified when it comes to sight-reading.
We offer material to play, but we also assume the student is proficient enough to bypass confirmation playback. I am not saying it should be mandatory, but it MUST be an option. If someone is a beginner and is trying to hone their sight-reading skills, if they do not receive confirmation that what they've just played is accurate then the application could be reinforcing bad habits and misunderstandings. Sure, if you've played for years and have music down cold, you can just turn off any answers or confirmation. If an application does not offer such an option, I would warn off beginners and those uncomfortable with sight-reading. When a teacher is in the room, the student gets immediate feedback on any shortcomings. This web site sees this obvious need and fills it.

Again, thank you for this link.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:27 am

Thanks so much for the link...I'll check it out...might be just what one of my grandkids needs and will find helpful...he's been a challenge for me but is making steady progress.
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Paul Janssen

Re: Re: Sight-Reading Development

Post by Paul Janssen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:06 am

It's interesting that you have had success with this website/app. I tried it (free trial only) and I found it too limited. For example, none of the exercises for guitar had anything other than single note phrases (i.e. no double stops or chords). I also found the examples way too random/abstract with little to no musical context. I reiterate that I only tried the free trial version so perhaps the full subscription is better?

giff06

Re: Re: Sight-Reading Development

Post by giff06 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:03 am

I found it helpful in generating random reading exercises. I would hope it will incorporate a bass line and chords as I progress.

Return to “Our favourite websites”