Frank Wallace on a Stellar Hauser I

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Aaron Green
Luthier

Frank Wallace on a Stellar Hauser I

Post by Aaron Green » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:35 pm

A recent addition to my line up. From 1949, the best of Hauser in every way. Enjoy! I am particularly impressed by this piece as well. For the purposes of demonstrating guitars I think it's ideal and is quite beautiful besides. And then there's Frank's playing.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmcJqoK ... e=youtu.be
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

celestemcc

Re: Frank Wallace on a Stellar Hauser I

Post by celestemcc » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks for the link, Aaron. Guitar and Frank sound terrific!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:58 am

Absolutely amazing sounding guitar and playing. I really enjoyed that. Your recording really captured some great sound. Lottery here I come so that I can buy such a great guitar! hahaha..

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

montana

Post by montana » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:16 am

Fabulous...thank you

Gilbert Pépin

Post by Gilbert Pépin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:37 am

what a marvelous guitar ! Frank is also a marvelous player, it was a very nice and exquisite moment. Thanks a lot ! :casque:
Gilbert, a student in the French forum

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:20 am

Great stuff as always with your Frank Wallace guitar demos.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Simon Ambridge, Hauser model, spruce/EIR, 2009
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:30 am

Very nice, both playing and instrument.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:31 pm

49 was certainly a great Hauser year! Lovely guitar and playing!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:05 pm

Like it a lot. Hauser I are so special. It look quite small to me. Are the later ones larger or is this a fluke? What kind of strings do you put on for the demo?

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Philosopherguy wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:58 am
Absolutely amazing sounding guitar and playing. I really enjoyed that. Your recording really captured some great sound. Lottery here I come so that I can buy such a great guitar! hahaha..

Martin
Fingers crossed Martin. I'll be happy to help you build a great collection...:)
joachim33 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:05 pm
Like it a lot. Hauser I are so special. It look quite small to me. Are the later ones larger or is this a fluke? What kind of strings do you put on for the demo?
This one is the Segovia model and that is his full sized guitar. This guitar is certainly getting towards the end of his career as he passed in 1956 (I believe it was '56 anyways). The strings I use on this guitar are my most usual combo for older guitars, La Bella 2001 or Argento basses, Augustine Regal trebles.

Back to the size of this guitar....I also have a matched 1949 Llobet model, videos will be coming shortly. The Llobet model is more closely based on Torres. I sold one earlier in 2017, from 1939, that was exquisite and featured a silver tornavoz. It had the most angelic trebles I've ever heard. The Llobet model from 1949 may be my all-time favorite Hauser. It literally sounds like a Torres and Hauser had a baby. It's also a real beast of a concert guitar, far more powerful and deep than any I've seen before. I have been told of letters in the possession of a few clients of mine where Hauser is gushing about his Llobet model guitars. To the point of regretting delivering the guitar to whom it was made for. I tend to agree in his assessment.
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

cgratham

Post by cgratham » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Aaron Green wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:23 pm
The strings I use on this guitar are my most usual combo for older guitars, La Bella 2001 or Argento basses, Augustine Regal trebles.
Thanks for sharing this great video Aaron. Wonderful guitar and playing by Mr Wallace. I've commented before that I really appreciate the videos you share as they seem to more closely present the sound of the guitar than the overly eq/reverb/whatever that we sometimes see/hear online. If my winning lotto ticket comes in I'd love to have you help me start a collection :D

I don't want to go down the string rabbit hole, but I'm curious on your comment about your most usual string combination for older guitars. Could you elaborate more on the reasons, or is it simply the case of you like how they sound on the older guitars?

Thanks again,
Chris

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:04 pm

I like what the Augustine Regals bring to the table. They are great strings IMO. The La Bellas I use on my own guitars tend to be a bit brighter which work well for my guitars but often times the Augustines seem to bring more weightiness to the tone. The basses I prefer are La Bellas because they are bright and lively and very beautiful sounding IMO

I had a cedar Friederich that came and went quickly last summer (actually that was three Friederichs that showed up and sold in one single week. Anyways on that particular guitar the Regals just didn't cut it. The La Bellas were far superior in terms of how they worked with that instrument so it really depends on the guitar and then the guitarist.

BTW I am thinking very seriously of building a copy of this 49 Hauser using some very old rosewood and spruce. If that sounds more doable for you, feel free to PM me!

Best
Aaron
Aaron Green, Luthier

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi Aaron

Thanks for the reply.

Hermann Hauser I died in 1952: http://www.hauserguitars.de/english/docs/geschichte.htm.

For years, GSI has an instrument on sale, that Hauser finished just a few days before his death. It may be his last guitar ever. There is a youtube of Marc Teicholz playing Bach BWV 1004 charconne on it. This is my favourite recording of the piece - I shared that here some time ago. It just shows how special Hauser I guitars are.

I hope you find a good home for your Hauser guitar.

Thanks again for sharing.
Joachim

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi Joachim

Whoa you are right, temporary memory slip. Thank you for clarification.

I knew that Hauser when it was owned by a client in NYC who bought it in the early 1980s. He bought it because he wanted a Velazquez and couldn't find one so the owner at the time offered him this Hauser saying "well this is the guitar Velazquez based his on".

Honestly at the time I thought it was dead as a doornail. Very underwhelming. The owner did as well which is why he sold it. That being said, it sounds great in Marc's hands and if its been getting good playing, it may very well have come alive and decided it wants to be a guitar after all.

The owner had a bunch of letters with that instrument, from both Hauser I and II. The ones from Hauser II inform the original owner of his father's death and that the guitar will be sent directly. And then his commitment to continuing the Hauser name.
Aaron Green, Luthier

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:25 pm

I'm impressed with the rich tone of the upper voice (so often thin in recordings) and the balance between voices, overall. Sagreras had a an expressive gift as a composer and it was brought out well here!

Return to “Our favourite websites”