Frank Wallace on a Stellar Hauser I

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
astro64

Re: Frank Wallace on a Stellar Hauser I

Post by astro64 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:25 pm

I thought I still heard a lot of reverb in this recording. Am I wrong? No doubt it is nice guitar, no argument there.

FrankBlack

Post by FrankBlack » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:38 pm

That instrument is a true work of art.

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:04 pm

astro64 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:25 pm
I thought I still heard a lot of reverb in this recording. Am I wrong? No doubt it is nice guitar, no argument there.

Frank does some mastering on the recordings to try and bring the guitar back to what it sounds like in person. I think in this case it was subtle and in fact he got the recordings to me 24 hours after the take so I don't think he spent a whole lot of time messing with it. The fact is the straight recorded sound isn't representative of the instrument, it's representative of what mics hear and then condense and then turned into digital files in the computer etc.... However I invite anyone to come over the give the guitar a spin to find out what a real time experience sounds like.

For me the records serve the purpose of creating that interest in prospective clients but in the larger context I view what we are doing as a way of informing the guitar world of what I find compelling. I have been extremely critical of the "development" of the guitar, not because I am a purist but rather the tone and incredible tonal capabilities of (what I consider) a great guitar is what got me into the instrument in the first place and is the first thing sacrificed on the alter of bigger and louder. Which will always have very limited success as long as people play guitar by plucking them. The fact is, the color/dynamic range and tonal evocations possible on a great guitar are the one thing that elevates the instrument above all others (for me). Take that away and you just have a very limited instrument that can't compete with others. So as the guitar world marches forward by necessity and demand of the musicians, I want people to have the opportunity to keep in their minds and ears; why the guitar is so special and hopefully that won't be lost in the evolutionary process. I am very encouraged by what has been coming around my shop in terms of younger musicians. It's like watching scales fall from their eyes.
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

CliffK

Post by CliffK » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:13 am

Thank you for posting this. Lovely guitar with such beautiful playing and expression by Frank Wallace.
Michael Thames 2010 It Spruce/BR
Rockbridge SJ cedar/mahagony 2007, cutaway, inlay

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:54 pm

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it. I have more coming!
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:16 pm

Another video by Frank, this time playing one of his own compositions. I like the piece of course but also the contrast it gives from the Sagreras piece. Definitely shows off the range of the instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4He4TAeLMoU&t=71s
Aaron Green, Luthier

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:48 am

I want one...thanks for posting, loved the performance.
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:44 pm

Hi David

Me too! I currently have two Hauser I's both from 49 which are of course quite expensive..for classical guitars. For a violin bow they'd be just "a bit pricey"

However if you are looking for the closest (and I mean closest) thing that also is quite reasonably priced for what it is...I have a 1958 Hauser II that is not mint but it's far and away the best I've played. Ironically that which makes it less than mint (in the eyes of collectors) is exactly what I ascribe it's superior tone and response to.....someone removed the original lacquer from the top and put a very thin coat of shellac (or alcohol based finish anyways). Original? No. Better? Most definitely. The top has a beautiful sun tan which says that whomever did the work knew exactly what not to do which is to say that the wood itself was not touched. IF it had been even sanded slightly it would be very apparent. It is priced at a signficant discount over the price of the two most recent Hauser IIs (both from 1959) I've sold

Anyways it's more open, responsive and sensitive than any other Hauser II I've played. As great as those 59's I had are, they still felt a bit restricted to me in comparison to the father's guitars. And the biggest difference between them is that finish. Now I am quite confident that it isn't supposition on my part that it's the difference that makes the difference. And I will continue to avoid lacquering my own guitars.
Aaron Green, Luthier

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:58 pm

New Video on the other Hauser I. This is a 1949 Llobet model, the smaller bodied counterpart to the Segovia model. This is the best I've ever seen in this model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUK-ERt6-bw
Aaron Green, Luthier

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:53 am

Aaron Green wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:44 pm
Hi David

Me too! I currently have two Hauser I's both from 49 which are of course quite expensive..for classical guitars. For a violin bow they'd be just "a bit pricey"

However if you are looking for the closest (and I mean closest) thing that also is quite reasonably priced for what it is...I have a 1958 Hauser II that is not mint but it's far and away the best I've played. Ironically that which makes it less than mint (in the eyes of collectors) is exactly what I ascribe it's superior tone and response to.....someone removed the original lacquer from the top and put a very thin coat of shellac (or alcohol based finish anyways). Original? No. Better? Most definitely. The top has a beautiful sun tan which says that whomever did the work knew exactly what not to do which is to say that the wood itself was not touched. IF it had been even sanded slightly it would be very apparent. It is priced at a signficant discount over the price of the two most recent Hauser IIs (both from 1959) I've sold

Anyways it's more open, responsive and sensitive than any other Hauser II I've played. As great as those 59's I had are, they still felt a bit restricted to me in comparison to the father's guitars. And the biggest difference between them is that finish. Now I am quite confident that it isn't supposition on my part that it's the difference that makes the difference. And I will continue to avoid lacquering my own guitars.
Hi Aaron,
I'll give it some serious thought. I just bought a new guitar and I have 15 others and I should put some up for sale. If I can sell a few for at least what I paid for them I'll get back to you...I think some of those Hauser's go for close to 30,000 dollars and probably worth it.

Thanks for thinking about me.
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Return to “Our favourite websites”