Toccata and Fugue in D Minor - again. Harp

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
Ramon Amira
Teacher

Toccata and Fugue in D Minor - again. Harp

Post by Ramon Amira » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 am

Here is a stupendous performance. There are many harp renditions of this on You Tube, but nothing to touch this one. The rest of them are just playing notes - she's playing Bach.

Ramon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHhWJQrBVak
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Re: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor - again. Harp

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:39 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:The rest of them are just playing notes - she's playing Bach.
Or maybe not.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:33 am

That was a wonderful performance...thanks for posting. It will help me sleep.
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:15 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:39 pm
Ramon Amira wrote:The rest of them are just playing notes - she's playing Bach.
Or maybe not.
Huh? What? What is that supposed to mean?

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:50 am

Ramon Amira wrote:
Ramon Amira wrote:... she's playing Bach.
Or maybe not.
Nothing mysterious - just that, whilst commonly accepted, it's not certain that this work is Bach's. Guess which way I lean ... not that that make's a gnat's pizzle of difference to the skill of the performer.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:08 am

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:50 am
Ramon Amira wrote:
Or maybe not.
Nothing mysterious - just that, whilst commonly accepted, it's not certain that this work is Bach's. Guess which way I lean ... not that that make's a gnat's pizzle of difference to the skill of the performer.
Oh - that. I guess you're one of the bunch that also says that Shakespeare didn't write those plays. Or that Michelangelo didn't paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel - it was actually a janitor who was painting the inside of a closet, and he looked up and said, "Hey, what the hell - why not . . ."

Speaking of the Sistine Chapel, what kind of fool take four years to paint a ceiling. My brother-in-law is a painter. Two bedrooms and a kitchen - hour and a half.

Ramon

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:44 am

Not that it makes a blind bit of difference, but actually quite a few musicologists have been uneasy about the authorship of BWV 565 because of various aspects of the work - and these aren't conspiracy theorists. Some also consider the possibility that it was originally composed for the violin and then arranged for the organ (not necessarily by Bach). There have been "reconstructions" of the violin "original". I heard Andrew Manze perform one "reconstruction" but found it not entirely convincing.

However this is speculation (though informed speculation) by scholars and it is very likely to remain in the realm of speculation.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:30 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:Nothing mysterious - just that, whilst commonly accepted, it's not certain that this work is Bach's ...
Ramon Amira wrote:Oh - that. I guess you're one of the bunch that also says that Shakespeare didn't write those plays. Or that Michelangelo didn't paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel
Lol - straw dogs Ramon, do you have a second job as a politician?

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:10 am

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:30 am
Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:Nothing mysterious - just that, whilst commonly accepted, it's not certain that this work is Bach's ...
Ramon Amira wrote:Oh - that. I guess you're one of the bunch that also says that Shakespeare didn't write those plays. Or that Michelangelo didn't paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel
Lol - straw dogs Ramon, do you have a second job as a politician?
Oops - student was at the door and I rushed - of course "straw men" was what I meant.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:25 pm

"Lol - straw dogs Ramon, do you have a second job as a politician?

Oops - student was at the door and I rushed - of course "straw men" was what I meant."

Macbeth - Act Three - Scene One

FIRST MURDERER: We are men, my liege.

MACBETH: Ay, in the catalogue you go for men,
As hounds and greyhounds, mongrels, spaniels,
curs, Shoughs, water-rugs, and demi-wolves are clept
All by the name of dogs.

slidika

Post by slidika » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:49 pm

Very nice performance by the young lady! I'm guessing she has put in her requisite 10k hours . . . and then some. Thanks for posting. :merci:
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:14 am

Ramon Amira wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:08 am
Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:50 am
Ramon Amira wrote: Huh? What? What is that supposed to mean?
Oh - that. I guess you're one of the bunch that also says that Shakespeare didn't write those plays. Or that Michelangelo didn't paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel - it was actually a janitor who was painting the inside of a closet, and he looked up and said, "Hey, what the hell - why not . . ."

Speaking of the Sistine Chapel, what kind of fool take four years to paint a ceiling. My brother-in-law is a painter. Two bedrooms and a kitchen - hour and a half.

Ramon
When I came home yesterday my wife was painting the kitchen and she was wearing two heavy coats; and was sweating cats and dogs. So I, of course, asked her why she was wearing the coats and tried not to laugh. She said: " look here on the can, it says better results with to coats." :D

"gnat's pizzle of difference" I like that.
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Return to “Our favourite websites”