Evangelos Assimakopoulos

When you give a link to a video, post your message in this forum, give your post a title following this example: [YouTube] Paganini; Capricho nº 24.
kirolak

Evangelos Assimakopoulos

Post by kirolak » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:42 pm

I have belatedly discovered this incredible guitarist! :casque:

Dirck Nagy

Re: Evangelos Assimakopoulos

Post by Dirck Nagy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:09 pm

He is a fantastic player, one of my favorites!

I got to see him and Liza Zoe in duo a couple times back in the 90s; played for them in a master class once. I dont know if they actively perform any more.

Here they are on an old video...

cheers!
dirck

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:27 am

I see ALL their youtube videos have just been deleted :(

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:25 am

Today, I see al the videos are back - :)

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:01 pm

As far as I know Evangelos still performs. His you tube videos are not very old. He still teaches in Athens and organises an annual, four-day seminar/festival in Patras on Palm Sunday of the orthodox Easter (that is the date varies each year, but it falls mainly in April). I have attended the seminar a few times in the 90s and 00s, but unfortunately am not able any more since I live abroad of Greece. I have heard this man play the guitar and consider myself blessed. I think he is the best guitarist in the world alive. If you consider his age, his technique is impeccable, his interpretation earthly and thoughtful, as is his personality. His publications are voluminous, he has nurtured hundreds of young guitarists, he was along with Liza Segovia's student, his musical expression is just so guitar-like. When he stops making what he loves most the world of guitar won't be the same.

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:10 pm

Forgot to say, the seminar in Patras is for advanced and intermediate students and it is organised by Nakas music school. Patras is my birthplace, a beautiful city in the North-West Peloponnese overlooking the Ionian Sea just two hours drive from Athens. When the seminar takes place the weather is usually warm and sunny and the sunsets are just out of this world. At night there are very good bars and restaurants all over the place. I would strongly recommend to those who9 can afford some spare time to visit the seminar, some 25 years already and I still have the music from Astor Piazola, Enrique Granados and Agustin Barrios in my head, music that students played at the seminars.

Return to “Our favourite websites”