Pleasure play on top of lessons?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
LarryShone
Student of the online lessons

Pleasure play on top of lessons?

Post by LarryShone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:26 am

Ok so the lessons are going well so far, I can't believe how I've progressed in just 3 days, but the thing is sometimes you like to just play, noodle, that is, just play something purely for pleasure. But is doing so likely to affect my lesson play? At the moment I am doing my daily lesson practice, and then thats it till tomorrow. Also I have steel string guitars for playing folk and blues style stuff, as well as 2 ukuleles. Do I have to put those aside for now, or is it ok to cheat on your CG? How do others feel about this?
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

Christopher Langley

Re: Pleasure play on top of lessons?

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:37 pm

It's okay to cheat.

I think I would recommend it, even. Play whatever is calling your name buddy! It's only a problem if you only noodle and never study. Even then.. Your prerogative. My father is a long time noodler.. And a poor student.

As a result.. His creative skills are top notch but he lacks the skills to further develop his improvised melodies into full polyphonic compositions.

He sits there and comes up with idea after idea and just lets them slip away, one after another. He's truly a creative power-house.. But it's kind of a waste because he is always abandoning his work and moving forward to another improvised piece.

I try to help him develop pieces but he takes it kinda personally.. Like I'm trying to show him up or steal his ideas. So I stopped bothering.. And actually moved out because it was driving me so crazy. Haha.

P.S. Gotta watch your nails on the steel strings. I catch myself tearing up my i nail all the time. Gotta remember to have a pick on hand to spare my nails.
Working on: D01- Lesson 5

Playing: Corboda CP110: D'addario EJ27N

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:55 pm

Thanks Christopher. Your description of your dad sounds similar to me. I am constantly improvising on whatever instrument is to hand (I have too many) but I never do anything with the ideas I come up with. Its just a pleasurable activity, tho my skill level is pretty low-hence the lessons.
Oh and my nails are kept really short, almost non existent in fact.
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Larry McDonald
Teacher

Post by Larry McDonald » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi,
Noodle away... as long as you are including the new technical lessons and displacing the old bad habits.
Personally, I coach my students not to play their old repertoire until the new technical foundation is settled. Even then, some pieces need to be retired if they re-introduce previous, and usually inefficient, "street techniques".

All the best,
Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2018 Michael Thames "Ancient Dragon" Cd/Ir
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar and Theory Instructor

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 pm

One thing I do need to work on when not playing is reading music-my one weak point. I can read it a little but it needs to be intuitive, like reading words and letters.
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Rick Hutt

Post by Rick Hutt » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:08 pm

I agree with all the above. You certainly do not have to abandon your steelies. I play in a bluegrass band every Saturday and frequent open mics as a singer guitarist. Also, noodling can actually enhance your technique. Be mindful of a particular technique as you explore the guitar and apply it to your exploration. It will actually cement that particular technique. Enjoy!
2010 Pimentel & Sons Concert Grand
1970 Taurus (Barcelona)
2009 Ramundi flamenco blanca
1962 Martin 0-16
2000 Martin 000-18
1963 Epiphone 12 Str

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:26 pm

LarryShone wrote:Ok so the lessons are going well so far, I can't believe how I've progressed in just 3 days, but the thing is sometimes you like to just play, noodle, that is, just play something purely for pleasure. But is doing so likely to affect my lesson play? At the moment I am doing my daily lesson practice, and then thats it till tomorrow. Also I have steel string guitars for playing folk and blues style stuff, as well as 2 ukuleles. Do I have to put those aside for now, or is it ok to cheat on your CG? How do others feel about this?
You’re playing with fire. Say, for example, that your structured practice is on right hand arpeggios. If your noodling also involves right hand arpeggios, and you revert to something other than what you do during your structured practice, then you’re working against yourself.

Learning new things goes better if you don’t constantly reinforce old things. If you want to stay where you are, then noodling will keep you there. If you want to improve, then you can’t artificially compartmentalize your playing. Thinking to yourself “this doesn’t count” about a certain segment of your playing won’t make it so. Everything counts.

Change is hard. Only you can decide if it’s worth your best effort.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Christopher Langley

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:03 pm

Improv is such a valuable creative tool. Shockingly some musicians never learn to just play around.

However, it is real easy to fall into the trap of doing what is most familiar and comfortable and to not push yourself.

Given your already established improv skills you will grow more as a musician if you focus on things you can not do well. That's the whole trick, really.

Btw.. If you ever want help developing a little melody or a few nice notes or chords into a larger piece.. I would love to help you do that. I think it is a shame to let good little ideas go undeveloped.
Working on: D01- Lesson 5

Playing: Corboda CP110: D'addario EJ27N

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Tom Poole and Larry MacDonald are experienced teachers and always give good advice. To summarize: if you want to noodle, great BUT noodle with a purpose. Then I guess it’s not noodling.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:23 pm

I have 2 different modes of playing the first is practising. I start my practise off in a different way, simple exercises to loosen the hips and shoulders then into the pieces I am learning in lessons and working on them. Secondly I play for jam sessions and open mic but these are usually different pieces and I don't do the physical warmup because that's not how it'll 'be on the night'. I have noticed that what I learn and do for lessons transfers over to playing in that I use the strategies to improve my 'noodling' playing.

LarryShone

Post by LarryShone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Well this is an old video of me playing a well known piece on my classical. I chose this piece because it uses pima finger placement in a tune that I'm familiar with. It was kind of my gateway to getting back into learning guitar.

Fender DG 5 acoustic
Deacon Mandolin

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”