Right hand phalanges problem.

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
guit-box

Re: Right hand phalanges problem.

Post by guit-box » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:16 pm

Some will allow the tips to passively bend back for free strokes as well, but it's more common for rest strokes. It's really the flexion of the PIP (middle joint) while the DIP(tip joint) is allowed to be loose that makes the DIP bend backwards. I'm on the fence about it for free strokes and tend to not do it. I see free stoke tip joints collapsing most with the middle finger, likely because it's the longest finger and it makes it easier to get the finger to push through the string that way. If you use a free stroke technique where it's only PIP/DIP that are pushing through the string and MCP(large knuckle) actually extends at the moment the string is sounded, that seems to help to keep the tip joint from collapsing.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:32 pm

Nick Cutroneo wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:41 am
Based off the picture from the OP - it looks like part of the problem is you are pushing on the string. I'm not going to rule out the "over extension" that lagartija is speaking of because the control of your range of motion is important to.

However, I'd start off by just putting all of my fingerings on the top 4 strings: P - 4 (or 5), I - 3, M - 2, A - 1. Can you have your fingers on these strings and keep the hand curled? If not, learn to control the pressure and curvature of your fingers so that there is a gentle curl in your fingers when they are on the strings. You should be pushing into or depressing the string (based off the picture - it appears that you are doing that - as the 3rd string is pushed closer to the 4th string than the 2nd string). Start with that, and develop the sensation of "standing on the strings without applying pressure". From there push into the string to play and have the finger(s) return and again relax them to the point of where they keep the shape of a gentle curve.
IIRC the hand posture i was using in that picture was the one that Carcassi suggested in his method. Other than that yes, I can naturally curl my fingers to that posture.

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:33 am

lacatedral wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:32 pm
IIRC the hand posture i was using in that picture was the one that Carcassi suggested in his method. Other than that yes, I can naturally curl my fingers to that posture.
The bending back of the tip joint is not in itself is not a bad thing. It's about controlling the tip joint of your finger. The tip joint bending is what pushes the string down and into the soundboard of the instrument.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

CactusWren

Post by CactusWren » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:42 am

Do your tip joints behave the same no matter what the dynamics? Are they still very soft and bend back when you play ff?

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”