Can You Play a Simple Song?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Re: Can You Play a Simple Song?

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:53 am

RaajShinde wrote:Ok, Rognvald. Whatever you say! I find the way you do “science” fascinating, to say the least!
You show admirable restraint Raaj, what a polite fellow you are.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm

RaajShinde wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:45 am
Rognvald wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:34 pm
Hi, Raaj,
I think it might best be said that lateralization is, in fact, scientifically provable. I think we are edging into thread drift for the topic but our readers may see a brief explanation of its existence in the following article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateraliz ... n_function Playing again . . . Rognvald
Ok, Rognvald. Whatever you say! :D

I find the way you do “science” fascinating, to say the least!

Cheers!

Raaj,
I have attempted to avoid any thread drift, however, would you like to tell the readers of this Forum which aspect(s) of the above-referenced article is/are unscientific? It represents what most mainstream scientists believe and even makes a reference to confusion with "pop Science." Thanks . . . Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:47 pm

For those of you who would like to pursue this topic further, may I suggest a study done by the National Institute of Health involving brain lateralization which corroborates my earlier remarks. You may also simply Google "brain lateralization" for further information. Playing again . . . Rognvald https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3767540/
P.S. I guess, as Raaj says, this is the way"I do Science."
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

chiral3

Post by chiral3 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Rognvald, you’re conflating two different topics. I don’t think anyone has said that lateralization doesn’t exist (although the current view is weaker than than in the days of Broca / Wenicke for a whole skew of reasons - observed and studied injuries, fMRI, neural correlates, plasticity, ... - that can be googled). The concept of right / left brained people expressing disproportionately artistic or analytical tilts that is based on a rigidly defined neurological model of the hemispherical brain is dated.
"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect" - Margaret Mitchell

RaajShinde

Post by RaajShinde » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:10 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:53 am
RaajShinde wrote:Ok, Rognvald. Whatever you say! I find the way you do “science” fascinating, to say the least!
You show admirable restraint Raaj, what a polite fellow you are.
This is the first time I've been accused of being restrained and polite... :D

Thanks, Mark.

Cheers!
The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
and acts without effort.
Teaching without verbosity,
producing without possessing,
creating without regard to result,
claiming nothing,
the Sage has nothing to lose.

RaajShinde

Post by RaajShinde » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Raaj,
I have attempted to avoid any thread drift, however, would you like to tell the readers of this Forum which aspect(s) of the above-referenced article is/are unscientific? It represents what most mainstream scientists believe and even makes a reference to confusion with "pop Science." Thanks . . . Playing again . . . Rognvald
I think we've reached a point of diminishing return in this discussion. I learned a long time ago that there is no percentage in debating "science" with folks that are coming at it from an epistemology of belief, so I am afraid I do not have anything more to contribute.

Live long and prosper, Rognvald. I wish you well.

Cheers!
and acts without effort.
claiming nothing,

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:25 pm

RaajShinde wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:15 pm
Rognvald wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Raaj,
I think we've reached a point of diminishing return in this discussion. I learned a long time ago that there is no percentage in debating "science" with folks that are coming at it from an epistemology of belief, so I am afraid I do not have anything more to contribute.

Live long and prosper, Rognvald. I wish you well.

Cheers!

So, Raaj,
Your assertions are Science and mine is belief. Ergo, your assertions are Science and the National Institute of Health Study is belief. I would heartily agree that "we've reached a point of diminishing return in this discussion." Playing again . . . Rognvald
P.S You are, indeed, a polite man. Were you perhaps a courtier of Louis XIV in a former life? I have been told that I surely am a reincarnated Viking. .. . Rognvald Skull Splitter. . . a man who recently has traded his former profession for an axe.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:16 am

Rognvald wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:25 pm
Rognvald Skull Splitter
Hmm, maybe that explains your advocacy of the left brain/right brain thing? :lol:
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:58 pm

ameriken wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:16 am
Rognvald wrote:
Rognvald Skull Splitter
Hmm, maybe that explains your advocacy of the left brain/right brain thing? :lol:

Thanks to Zeus and the Rings of Saturn, we have found another sentient being with a sense of humor! Playing again . . . Rognvald

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:01 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:14 pm
I remember Matthew McAllister performing 4 Scottish Lute pieces during a concert at the Classical Guitar Retreat and saw members in the audience wiping away tears. I have never seen this before or since that concert. These Scottish Lute pieces are not particularly difficult to play, but Matthew managed to move his audience to tears. How often does that happen?
I realize that this post is a year old but I have to say that this is my experience also. His playing overall isn't flashy/ gymnastic but it's very very moving and emotional. He's really got a beautiful touch.
Last edited by rpavich on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Rognvald wrote:I have been told that I surely am a reincarnated Viking
Oh sorry fate - to think that you've been inflicted on humanity twice ...
Erik Zurcher wrote:... saw members in the audience wiping away tears ... How often does that happen?
I'm well known for having this effect on my listeners - and not always because they realise that they're locked in for the second half.

RaajShinde

Post by RaajShinde » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Rognvald wrote:
So, Raaj,
Your assertions are Science and mine is belief. Ergo, your assertions are Science and the National Institute of Health Study is belief.
Another breathtaking leap of inferential logic. You are a most fascinating individual, Rognvald. I will be sure to follow your threads hereon.
Rognvald wrote:
P.S You are, indeed, a polite man. Were you perhaps a courtier of Louis XIV in a former life?
What I am is a cheeky bast*rd. And perhaps because I am so prone to calling a spade a spade, not suited to be a courtier. I am most interested in your "scientific" views on reincarnation, though. Do tell us more about the viking theory and how that all came about. Perhaps a link or two to the NIH websites? :D

Cheers!
and acts without effort.
claiming nothing,

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Perhaps a link or two to the NIH websites? Raaj
Raaj,
It's the third post on this page. You must have missed it since you were thinking with your Left, rather than your right side of the brain. Playing again . . . Rognvald

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:36 pm
Rognvald wrote:I have been told that I surely am a reincarnated Viking
Oh sorry fate - to think that you've been inflicted on humanity twice ...
Erik Zurcher wrote:... saw members in the audience wiping away tears ... How often does that happen?
I'm well known for having this effect on my listeners - and not always because they realise that they're locked in for the second half.

Mark,
I'm always surprised when some people read remarks literally . . . perhaps, I need to simplify my statements and avoid taxing your imagination. Secondly, in regards to your last statement, I will certainly temper any future discourse we have with the complete and total understanding that I a dealing with a superior human being/musician that has the ability to bring the deepest of human emotions to the surface with, perhaps, for example, even the faintest execution of a sixteenth note by your gifted hands followed by three measure rest. This supernal talent only visits our sorry planet on occasion and the last thing poor Rognvald would ever do would be to extinguish this precious, yet transitory flame that touches the deepest depths of the human condition. Playing again . . . without, sadly, a tear-filled audience. . . Rognvald

RaajShinde

Post by RaajShinde » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:30 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Raaj,
It's the third post on this page. You must have missed it since you were thinking with your Left, rather than your right side of the brain. Playing again . . . Rognvald
You are truly a gem, Rognvald. The evidence suggests that you might be someone that has gone through our divine American public school system - a system know to occasionally produce trenchant thinkers.

BTW, you mention "Art" and "Craft" in your other post. How do those ideas correlate with your left-brain, right-brain segmentation model? Was Billie Holiday a left-brain or a right-brain performer? I use the word "performer" because I believe you've categorically disqualified Ms. Holiday as being a "musician".

Cheers!
and acts without effort.
claiming nothing,

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”