Can You Play a Simple Song?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Re: Can You Play a Simple Song?

Post by MartinCogg » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:48 pm

Pat Dodson wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:46 pm
Incredible! :wink:
I was just a-looking at wiki pages on rhyming slang, then mock latin, where was I mightily tickled -

Caesar adsum jam forte....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Latin

Meself, also on the list of speech balloon possibilities, I had -

Nona dama nevit (dama = female deer... Hind)
Non ad Aman evit (Aman is a fictional place, Tolkien)

but these have Adam hiding, making Eve even harder to spot... altogether too difficult to decipher.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:35 am

Very unreliable online translation sites give the following alternatives for this resectioning:

Non ad ama nevit

I love her yarn. (Ms Muffet? The spider?)
Do not have to love her yarn.

Complete nonsense of course but there’s fun to be had in English with a second meaning of yarn. :D

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Post by MartinCogg » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:41 pm

An expanding yarn indeed - and good to tie Tim Spider into the spinning concept :wink:

Painting was interrupted by cold weather, during which the plans grew to include Mary
and her (tasty snack) lamb -

Mary had a little lamb
uncooked thus far although
when Mary went adventure bound
her lamb was bound to go...

or some such...

Things have been happening this week, and
though the ship's still awaiting for the all-aboard + a few little details,
methinks a progress report is due
progress report.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:50 pm

MartinCogg wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:41 pm
An expanding yarn indeed - and good to tie Tim Spider into the spinning concept :wink:

Painting was interrupted by cold weather, during which the plans grew to include Mary
and her (tasty snack) lamb -

Mary had a little lamb
uncooked thus far although
when Mary went adventure bound
her lamb was bound to go...

or some such...

Things have been happening this week, and
though the ship's still awaiting for the all-aboard + a few little details,
methinks a progress report is due

progress report.JPG
Martin,
Perhaps you have been reincarnated from a long lost character of the Canterbury Tales that has traveled to Northern Climes with the distinct possibility of irreversible Vikiningisation . . . and have honed your skills on the Viking Sagas and frolicked in inebriation with some Viking maidens and as a consequence has put paint to paper as an offering to Yarl Rognvald and his trusty protector Odin. . . a furore Normanorum . . .libera nos Domine . . . Oh, Lord . . . deliver us from the Vikings . . . . Playing again . . . Rognvald P.S. Lamb stew, anyone???
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:59 am

I love it... also the innocent expression on the bow head. :)

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:43 am

Lawler wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:59 am
I love it... also the innocent expression on the bow head. :)

Lawler,
I think he has a happy tongue . . . definitely not a fire-breather. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Post by MartinCogg » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:03 pm

A view of the whole as it stands today - I'm allowed 4 more weeks to work on it before it's got to be
exhibition readied :chaud:

I think, Lawler, we might have room for a (pilgrim?) canoeist in the left hand watery-bit (above
the sheep) - having just climbed the ladder it's off for a paddle...

I think we'll double the sheep flock.

I don't know what's going on with your shield Rognvald - at the moment it's probably a design to
confuse the enemy - distract them with trying to work out what it's supposed to be...

I took note of the way the clinker hulls are presented in the Bayeux tapestry... maybe
change it to blue + orange - I dunno,

and then there's Tim the spider, Bo Peep, Mrs. Muffet, and Mary + lamb yet to appear...
and who knows what else :?

Odin's day, 14th of Martius.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:26 pm

MartinCogg wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:03 pm
I think, Lawler, we might have room for a (pilgrim?) canoeist in the left hand watery-bit (above
the sheep) - having just climbed the ladder it's off for a paddle...
Canoeing needs all the publicity it can get. :mrgreen: I was paddling on the Puget Sound Saturday, imagining the high speed ferries that seem to be everywhere there, trying to swamp us in their wakes, as Viking long ships.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:29 pm

Those sheep look like they're in some kind of a tactical formation. Perhaps they're not going to go down easily, heh.

janepaints

Post by janepaints » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:57 am

Rognvald wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:56 pm
The true judge of a Jazz musicians ability(akin to a CG) to emote musically is not playing sheets of sound at a breakneck speed but rather your ability to play a simple ballad where your control of the instrument, musical nuances, spontaneous inspirations, and personality are clearly evident. I have seen many performers fall flat on their faces when faced with this task. I once heard a "Battle of the Tenors" in the Seventies at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago featuring tenor saxophonists James Moody and Charles Lloyd. Moody was dressed in a three-piece business suit with short cropped hair and Lloyd was wearing an African Dashiki and sporting a three-story Afro hairstyle. They started the program playing mostly up-tempo pieces but when they played the old Coleman Hawkins classic "Body and soul" the tale of the tape became clear. Moody's performance showed the depth and "soul" of his playing while Lloyd played the with a thin weak sound and little, if any, musical inspiration. Once Lloyd was out of the comfort zone of up-tempo playing and had to make every note and phrase count . . . he was lost.
This brings to mind an anecdote about musician Lester Young, a master of emotional nuance and poetics as well as of technique....an anecdote relevant to this thread, IMO:

Lester was at a recording session. An instrumental jazz arrangement of a popular song. A few bars into his solo Lester stopped playing. The ensemble stopped playing. A bandmate asked him what went wrong. "I forgot the words" was Lester's reply.

BTW: Dexter Gordon's character in ''Round Midnight" was, in part, very much modeled-upon (and a tribute to) Lester Young.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:08 am

Everything I've heard that Lester Young recorded was beautiful.
Last edited by Lawler on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:33 am

Wow . . . back to the music. Lester Young, affectionately called the Prez by Jazzers, was/is one of my favorite tenor players. Can you play a simple song? Here's Prez doing an inimitable version of the Jazz standard "Stardust." Enjoy! Playing again . . .Rognvald

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:58 am

And, here's another take for some of you late night Romantics. Playing again . . . Rognvald

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:40 pm

A few fans await the next painting update.
bearsandpig1b.jpg

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:03 pm

And then, unfortunately...
wrestlewithapig1a.jpg

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”