Can You Play a Simple Song?

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Tom Moreno

Re: Can You Play a Simple Song?

Post by Tom Moreno » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:48 am

thanks for the Lester Young link Rognvald! That is what I love so much about YouTube-- everyone gets an opportunity to (re)discover musical gems like this one. 8)

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Love the comical twist, Lawler! How would the world survive without a sense of humor? Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:33 pm

The bears and I are admiring the peaked roof-like structure in the far right panel.

I'm imagining that if I climbed it I'd get caught up in a roofer's version of an eternal staircase.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:08 am

Returning to the topic of this thread: everything I play is simple. Complex pieces are completely beyond me. The most difficult I can manage is Bach's "Prelude in Dm", and even that is not very good.

This doesn't bother me. I'm making music.

AA

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Post by MartinCogg » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Lawler wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:40 pm
A few fans await the next painting update...
I've been working and reworking and
alas reached the time's up point and had to call it fin, and varnish -
so while awaiting varnish to cure sufficient to pop in frame,
a couple of detail shots -
RV.JPG
(actual size - distance between horn tips = 9mm)
Tim Spider.JPG
maybe tomorrow, Rognvald's passengers...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:31 am

MartinCogg wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:53 pm
...a couple of detail shots -
Wonderful.
Yes!

billy1

Post by billy1 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:57 am

I've only just joined and feel the O.P knows me. I guess it's hard to impress yourself so you're always moving on to something harder before you're ready for it - or playing too fast too soon and sacrificing the tone. Yeah, I can play simple stuff well as long as there's no rapid single note runs, but I'm starting to work on those.

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Post by MartinCogg » Wed May 09, 2018 11:05 pm

Lawler wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:31 am
Yes!

:?
A few technical hitches - first I wasn't satisfied with the photos, then the painting was elsewhere for
judgement by gallery, then my computer gave up... then after considering giving up on computers altogether -

me first photos edited and uploaded with more up-to-date technology...

the whole thing (low resolution 'n' all that)
finished'n'framed..jpg
and a bit of passenger detail
+lamb,mary,muffat,bopeep.JPG
and now I'm a bit mystified for it seems that the act of uploading reduced the file size by more
than half, so I wonder I could have tried uploading bigger...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Thu May 10, 2018 5:57 am

MartinCogg wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:05 pm
...me first photos edited and uploaded with more up-to-date technology...
What a beautiful and mysterious world it is. I entered by the staircase and, after tipping my hat to the pretty ladies, realized that I have been underestimating lambs. I expected Mary to say, "Just relax. As long as you're relaxed, the lamb's relaxed".

And I thought I knew everything about sheep from reading Rebank's book. :mrgreen:

I wish I had been a fly on the wall at the gallery showing - to hear the comments. In a way, I feel sorry for those viewers of the painting who didn't see its development as we have here. We're lucky.

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:33 am

billy1 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:57 am
I've only just joined and feel the O.P knows me. I guess it's hard to impress yourself so you're always moving on to something harder before you're ready for it - or playing too fast too soon and sacrificing the tone. Yeah, I can play simple stuff well as long as there's no rapid single note runs, but I'm starting to work on those.
I'm guilty of this too when I'm following methods. I play the pieces until they are 'reasonable' i.e. I think 'yes, I have the ability to play this well if I spent time perfecting it. But I won't because I want to storm ahead/finish the method etc.'.
It's not so much being hard to impress myself, unless you mean the piece of music itself is not impressive enough, it's more a case of trying to forge ahead as Rognvald originally postulated.
But I'm personally trying to use the technique of playing phrases x number of times (some say 5, some 10, some 20.. - see member Lare's posts and Hubert Kappel's book amongst others..) without faults before moving onto another phrase and then 'sticking' them together and doing the same again.
Having a goal of playing x no of times without fault (well, within a certain amount of tolerance depending on how much time you've got) is helping me on playing a piece well before moving on.
But I think it helps to have enjoyable pieces too. Then one might invest more time in playing them really well. Maybe that's why some learners want to forge ahead because they don't find the easier pieces enjoyable enough.
Reminds me of Lauro's La gatica which I enjoy more than El negrito (which I also like) and so I've unconsciously put more time into playing it.
Some members on a 'Let's play Sor...' thread seem to be really enjoying his pieces and are really getting stuck into them in that's it seems to be driving them on to really play the pieces well. (Sor, incidentally, has pieces that are reputable easy to play ok but difficult to play really well (like Mozart apparently) but this is a side note and I'm only reporting what others on this site have said.)
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Post by MartinCogg » Fri May 18, 2018 10:00 pm

Lawler wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:57 am
I wish I had been a fly on the wall at the gallery showing - to hear the comments. In a way, I feel sorry for those viewers of the painting who didn't see its development as we have here. We're lucky.
That's still to come... this was just the selection process - I've now been informed I'm 'in', thankfully...
I have the painting home again for a while - and there be alterations I'd like to make but :? can't.
Last edited by MartinCogg on Mon May 21, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Mon May 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Where's the stilton?

MartinCogg
Amateur luthier

Post by MartinCogg » Thu May 24, 2018 9:09 pm

Now see what you've gone and triggered...

stolenstiltonstorystarter.jpg

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Fri May 25, 2018 8:26 am

A painted palomino pursuit perchance?

billy1

Post by billy1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:14 am

Smudger5150 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 11:33 am
billy1 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:57 am
I'm guilty of this too when I'm following methods. I play the pieces until they are 'reasonable' i.e. I think 'yes, I have the ability to play this well if I spent time perfecting it. But I won't because I want to storm ahead/finish the method etc.'.
It's not so much being hard to impress myself, unless you mean the piece of music itself is not impressive enough, it's more a case of trying to forge ahead as Rognvald originally postulated.
But I'm personally trying to use the technique of playing phrases x number of times (some say 5, some 10, some 20.. - see member Lare's posts and Hubert Kappel's book amongst others..) without faults before moving onto another phrase and then 'sticking' them together and doing the same again.
Having a goal of playing x no of times without fault (well, within a certain amount of tolerance depending on how much time you've got) is helping me on playing a piece well before moving on.
But I think it helps to have enjoyable pieces too. Then one might invest more time in playing them really well. Maybe that's why some learners want to forge ahead because they don't find the easier pieces enjoyable enough.
Reminds me of Lauro's La gatica which I enjoy more than El negrito (which I also like) and so I've unconsciously put more time into playing it.
Some members on a 'Let's play Sor...' thread seem to be really enjoying his pieces and are really getting stuck into them in that's it seems to be driving them on to really play the pieces well. (Sor, incidentally, has pieces that are reputable easy to play ok but difficult to play really well (like Mozart apparently) but this is a side note and I'm only reporting what others on this site have said.)
Completely agree with the 'I can sort of play this now, so I'll tidy it up later and move on to something else' mistake.

What I meant by hard to impress yourself is simply that you think 'I'd love to be able to play that piece' but by the time you can, and play it well, it's no big deal. But you should be impressed with any piece you can manage, no matter how simple, played with expressiveness and good tone. One well played piece in your armoury is worth more than any number of butcherings of, say, Barrios. I now do exactly as you say, lot's of slow repetition to iron out mistakes and it does work - just have to be patient. Also for me, I have to be able to play a piece in my head right through, and consequently be able to play it without reference to the music before I feel I can really play it, and perhaps work on my interpretation. Perhaps that is what is taught, but I've never had a teacher. Anyway, I've actually gone back to Sor and in particular Study in D Minor which I've always loved
and my progress has reinvigorated my interest in playing - too many times in the past I've become frustrated and disheartened and put the guitar down for lengthy periods, but no more. I've learned the hard way - learnt what I really want out of my playing; a pleasant musical experience for me and anyone around who may be listening.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”