Concentration balance - advice sought

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: Concentration balance - advice sought

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:32 am

Great m0rt. Frustrations will return periodically. When they do for me I just try to remind myself to focus on the process. Whether that’s slow repetitions 5 times until perfect, playing in reverse, or interleaving sections. When I do this I forget I was frustrated and eventually realize I am improving and inspired again.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

chuck

Post by chuck » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:24 pm

ronjazz wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:14 am
That's the spirit, chuck, well done. You now need to break it down into sections and perfect it section by section, it's much easier than slogging through the whole thing, save that are the end of practice, you'll be warmed up and already improved in every session. Mindful, slow practicing should be done in smaller chunks, to achieve control and consistency that becomes the foundation for more speed and endurance. You'll have a significant piece of the repertoire down, cool.
Thanks ronjazz. I sort of started that, but only have been practicing each page (of 3) separately. I probably need to break it down by phrase. It is almost theme and variations anyway. Thanks for the encouragement. At time progress is hard to notice, especially when I fall into performing rather than practicing to improve. I do that too much, for fear of forgetting my repertoire. Its hard to find the right balance, but you gotta have some fun.

skipintro

Post by skipintro » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:45 pm

I've found that the optimum time for practice anything difficult is usually very short. It seems I need time for it to soak in for it to get easier next time, but just plugging away can be unproductive and tedious.

chuck

Post by chuck » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:00 pm

When I was young, I would practice at least 4 hours a day, all at one time. I can no longer do that. I break up my practice to three times during the day of 30-minutes to an hour, in segments of about 15 minutes at a time with a 5 minute rest. It takes more time, but it not only improves concentration but it reduces the joint pain I develop when I play long stretches. I also found that when leaning a new piece, it is best to work on it at the beginning and end of each session. And I've also found that you shouldn't fight it if you aren't concentrating. Tomorrow will be there.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”