Ear Wax and tremolo

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Keith

Ear Wax and tremolo

Post by Keith » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:02 pm

On Wednesday I had an annual check-up with my MD and had my ear canals "washed". My left ear is now clean as a whistle but my right one is 100% clogged to the point where I now need to visit and ENT MD to have it vacuumed (I had it done once and it is the best). So much for having a RN with the only tools being an ear bulb and no curette tools. I noticed I am compensating for having only one good ear by overplaying my tremolo and noticed it has improved. Not suggesting plugging up one's ear with wax but maybe putting in a plug in the right ear to force the hand to overplay and thereby improving.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Kevin Cowen

Re: Ear Wax and tremelo

Post by Kevin Cowen » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks.
I was thinking of sticking a candle in my ear to improve my tremolo.
Now I'm not so sure.

dtoh

Re: Ear Wax and tremelo

Post by dtoh » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:06 am

I practice tremolo a lot with headphones on listening to music or a video. There's something about shutting out the sound that sometimes make it easier to develop a more relaxed mechanical rhythm, feel of the finger on the strings, etc. That said I also spend a lot of time with my ears open listening carefully.

lucy

Re: Ear Wax and tremolo

Post by lucy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:01 pm

Keith wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:02 pm
I noticed I am compensating for having only one good ear by overplaying my tremolo and noticed it has improved.
This is exactly how I improved my tremolo. You play it slightly slower and very strongly, so every note is clear and exactly in time. That seems to improve the action of the hand, (perhaps it develops the muscles?)

Once you've done that for a bit, you lessen off the force and relax your hand, in order to play it evenly and smoothly.

An interesting way of finding this out Keith!! :D
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

slidika

Post by slidika » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:31 pm

I prefer playing a syncopated tremolo . . . :D
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

meouzer

Post by meouzer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:59 am

They have these mutes in the form of foam rubber strips you place under the strings next to the bridge. You can get them from Strings by Mail. They are also sold as tremolo practice aids. For some reason it's claimed that hearing a muted staccato or the feel of such is helpful.

As far as ear problems I hear clicking in my right ear, caused by unequalized air pressure. Very rhythmic. Just need to call it on demand
to throw my metronome away.

quavers

Post by quavers » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:01 pm

I am not suffering from ear wax, but have sometimes played guitar with over-ear headphones or sometimes earbuds playing in my ears, usually news, podcasts, NPR etc. while practicing. This I am sure is not likely to improve my playing, interestingly enough, however, my playing seems a little more confident and slightly easier. I also noticed the same, though less pronounced, effect with just the headphones or earbuds and no audio program. I have not tried recording this, as I was sure that this observation was a product of my imagination.

This is strange. Are there any hearing experts that understand this weird phenomena? Is it something like the scene depicted in the "Kings Speech" where a loud recording is played to Prince Edward, while he reads aloud and miraculously does not stutter. There seems to be something interesting at work here.

Or may simply be a little nuts. :lol:

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:03 pm

In my case it is the attack of the note that is (was) the issue. Until recently I've had problems with the guitar and having some background noise cuts out the unpleasant attack and allows me just to hear the body of the note. With the TV on the guitar sounded sweet since I don't hear the initial transients. If we don't hear them then a tremelo will probably seem to have better timing, be more even and have more sustain. Not sure it would work to have a TV on for the public performance though.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Keith wrote:
On Wednesday I had an annual check-up with my MD and had my ear canals "washed". My left ear is now clean as a whistle but my right one is 100% clogged to the point where I now need to visit and ENT MD to have it vacuumed (I had it done once and it is the best). So much for having a RN with the only tools being an ear bulb and no curette tools. I noticed I am compensating for having only one good ear by overplaying my tremolo and noticed it has improved. Not suggesting plugging up one's ear with wax but maybe putting in a plug in the right ear to force the hand to overplay and thereby improving.

This post is why I have always enjoyed the company of fellow musicians. Can you imagine anyone in the real world having this discussion? Playing again . . .Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

quavers

Post by quavers » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:04 pm

Rognvald - That is an amazing quote. It makes me a little more comfortable with my own brand of madness. Is that a good thing? Who knows? There are many people who are smarter than I am that believe that the whole world is a hologram.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:40 pm

Keith wrote:
OK I will tell you what happened, happens to me too ( not cause of ears ) and it is already quite mentioned from Lucy;

less hearing = You played stronger = you improved your technique :shock:

So it is a great exercise to play stronger at times, improves right hand muscles and technique. :casque:
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Pavlos Gypas 1989
Panagi Brothers 1970
Juan Martinez nr 55 2014 (the comeback)
Yamaha cg 110 1988 (the 1st)
--
2014: the comeback

gjj

Post by gjj » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:59 am

And I have found that a touch of earwax on the picking hand finger tips and nails facilitates a smoother tremolo. Long live the earwax!

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 am

In the absence of anything else suitable, I have been trying to practise tremelo with my fingers in my ears, but it's not working very well. Can anyone explain why?

gjj

Post by gjj » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:43 pm

prawnheed wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 am
In the absence of anything else suitable, I have been trying to practise tremelo with my fingers in my ears, but it's not working very well. Can anyone explain why?
I can't hear you, repeat please...........

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”