Where's the Melody????

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music


For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
rpavich
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Where's the Melody????

Post by rpavich » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Quote:
However, in bars 6 and 7, section A, the melody gets temporarily lost in the broken chords before finally resolving to E major in bar 8 which resumes the clear melodic line.
End quote.

I'm wondering; how much of this is intentional and how much is due to the fact that it's more difficult to bring out the melody during this particular part of the piece and so it just doesn't happen often?

I've heard folks who let the melody die completely during this part and others who do a pretty good job of keeping it out in front.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Rasputin
Posts: 1025
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Where's the Melody????

Post by Rasputin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:18 pm

rpavich wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:02 pm
Quote:
However, in bars 6 and 7, section A, the melody gets temporarily lost in the broken chords before finally resolving to E major in bar 8 which resumes the clear melodic line.
End quote.

I'm wondering; how much of this is intentional and how much is due to the fact that it's more difficult to bring out the melody during this particular part of the piece and so it just doesn't happen often?

I've heard folks who let the melody die completely during this part and others who do a pretty good job of keeping it out in front.
Could you give some examples? I will check them out on Tidal.

I think these bars illustrate the fact that music cannot always be analysed as melody + accompaniment. Even a piece like this one, which is mostly that way, can have sections which are not. The melody that these bars seem to me to imply is not actually there to be played.

rpavich
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Where's the Melody????

Post by rpavich » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:19 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:18 pm
rpavich wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:02 pm
Quote:
However, in bars 6 and 7, section A, the melody gets temporarily lost in the broken chords before finally resolving to E major in bar 8 which resumes the clear melodic line.
End quote.

I'm wondering; how much of this is intentional and how much is due to the fact that it's more difficult to bring out the melody during this particular part of the piece and so it just doesn't happen often?

I've heard folks who let the melody die completely during this part and others who do a pretty good job of keeping it out in front.
Could you give some examples? I will check them out on Tidal.

I think these bars illustrate the fact that music cannot always be analysed as melody + accompaniment. Even a piece like this one, which is mostly that way, can have sections which are not. The melody that these bars seem to me to imply is not actually there to be played.
No but you can do a youtube search and see for yourself.
As for the second part of your comment, why not? It's still the melody...why not bring it out the same? I'm a noob but it seems to be it's possible to do.
Last edited by rpavich on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

rpavich
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Where's the Melody????

Post by rpavich » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:20 pm

double post
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Rasputin
Posts: 1025
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Where's the Melody????

Post by Rasputin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Oh, I have heard many many recordings of Lagrima but I can't really identify with your comment. Music is a subjective kind of a thing - maybe we just hear it differently.

Which bit is the melody, would you say?

rpavich
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Where's the Melody????

Post by rpavich » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:28 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:22 pm
Oh, I have heard many many recordings of Lagrima but I can't really identify with your comment. Music is a subjective kind of a thing - maybe we just hear it differently.

Which bit is the melody, would you say?
I'd have to pick it out from memory, my guitar hasn't been delivered yet :)

If you are still asking this later on today I'll try and get to it.

However, See this video where he's talking about keeping the melody line intact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhRjXr_1uHA&t=76s
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Rasputin
Posts: 1025
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Where's the Melody????

Post by Rasputin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:32 pm

Did you notice that he skipped those bars though?

Congratulations on your NGD!

rpavich
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Where's the Melody????

Post by rpavich » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:35 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:32 pm
Did you notice that he skipped those bars though?

Congratulations on your NGD!
No, maybe I'm thinking of the wrong section. I'll take a look later on.

Thanks! I can't wait.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”