Sympathetic motion, aim-directed movement

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Tien Dat Nguyen

Sympathetic motion, aim-directed movement

Post by Tien Dat Nguyen » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi everyone
I am practicing on Carcassi's etude 1 op.60 with fingerings by Aaron Shearer. In the piece he mentioned some terms which are "sympathetic motion" and "aim-directed movement" (ADM) but he didn't go into details b/c they are explained in his other books :( . Does sympathectic motion mean that some fingers move together? (eg: i-m alterations and m-a stick together? ) and how important is it? Does ADM mean imagination of movement?
:merci:

guitarrista

Re: Sympathetic motion, aim-directed movement

Post by guitarrista » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:57 pm

ADM is "process of knowing where to move the fingers on the fingerboard before actually moving them". So it has a big name but refers to a pretty common-sense idea - know where you are going before you make the "step". When you watch videos of concert guitarists, notice how they look ahead to the place of the next shift a fraction of a second before the shift actually happens - that's the "tell" and the tool of doing "ADM".

Sympathetic motion probably refers to the phenomenon of when you move a right hand finger, the neighbour kind of wants to go along - especially noticeable with moving "a" finger and the pinky moving as well. I think Shearer makes it a lot more complicated and applicable to (sequential) planting etc. but I am not convinced that it is actually an indispensable or even helpful concept in that expanded scope.
Last edited by guitarrista on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Moonlighting2610

Re: Sympathetic motion, aim-directed movement

Post by Moonlighting2610 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:00 am

You could learn more about Sympathetic motion & ADM through here: http://www.classicalguitarshed.com/how- ... technique/

I think it is very helpful for building fundamentals

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”