Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music


For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
User avatar
Nathan Stumpf
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:54 am
Location: Linden, Alabama

Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by Nathan Stumpf » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Good day everyone,

As all of you know, most classical guitar pieces are written in notation rather than TAB. I'm willing to put the time in every day to learn how to read music notation from scratch. I'm 40 years old and the last time I took a music theory class was in the 6th grade! I'm lucky if I know a quarter note from a half. :oops:

If anyone has any (absolute beginner) suggestions on how to get started learning classical notation for guitar I would be very grateful.

There are so many books out there it's intimidating. My ignorance doesn't allow me to make an educated choice. I'm not sure if I would need something specifically aimed at classical guitar (to make it easier perhaps) or if it doesn't really matter.

Any feedback would be great! Books, Web-sites, etc.

Appreciate you all!

Nate

User avatar
Erik Zurcher
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 15896
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by Erik Zurcher » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

User avatar
Nathan Stumpf
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:54 am
Location: Linden, Alabama

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by Nathan Stumpf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:39 am

Erik Zurcher wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:13 pm
viewtopic.php?f=130&t=79606
Excellent Erik! A great place to start :) Thank you very much for the link and have a great weekend.

Nate

Rognvald
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:21 am

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by Rognvald » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:59 pm

Nathan,
If you don't want to waste time . . . get a good teacher. You'll progress much faster than trying to teach yourself. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

User avatar
Nathan Stumpf
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:54 am
Location: Linden, Alabama

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by Nathan Stumpf » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:59 pm
Nathan,
If you don't want to waste time . . . get a good teacher. You'll progress much faster than trying to teach yourself. Playing again . . . Rognvald
Good Day Rognvald,

Getting a good teacher is definitely the way to go, I agree. I really don't have the time and resources at the moment unfortunately. I started my Masters in IT Management in January (Full time) plus I work odd hours since I do computer repair as a living. Finances are quite tight at the moment as well as a flexible schedule. My plan when I'm done with my degree is to do exactly what you advised. Get a good teacher! I also want to get a head start on my playing and and ability to read notation while I'm waiting.

Appreciate the advice!

Nate

Rognvald
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:21 am

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by Rognvald » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Nathan Stumpf wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 pm
Rognvald wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:59 pm
Nathan,
If you don't want to waste time . . . get a good teacher. You'll progress much faster than trying to teach yourself. Playing again . . . Rognvald
Good Day Rognvald,

Getting a good teacher is definitely the way to go, I agree. I really don't have the time and resources at the moment unfortunately. I started my Masters in IT Management in January (Full time) plus I work odd hours since I do computer repair as a living. Finances are quite tight at the moment as well as a flexible schedule. My plan when I'm done with my degree is to do exactly what you advised. Get a good teacher! I also want to get a head start on my playing and and ability to read notation while I'm waiting.

Appreciate the advice!

Nate

Hi, Nate,
Well, with this relevant information, I would advise getting any primer on Musical Notation. Unfortunately, I can't provide a personal recommendation that is the most contemporary but perhaps one of our Forum's teachers can help. Good luck and success with your Master's Degree! Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

kmurdick
Posts: 551
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:48 pm

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by kmurdick » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Yes, you should get a good teacher. By far, the easiest part (by at least a hundred fold) of learning the classical guitar is reading standard notation. I taught guitar for about 45 years so I have a bit of experience. I found I had to write my own method book since all the others went to fast. I wrote five volumes, the first one is free. You will not find a teacher who will use this book because they will not understand why I wrote it this way. I'm so misunderstood :roll:
Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/edqt3ez7xsr4 ... vxgea?dl=0

User avatar
tormodg
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 11:13 am
Location: Oslo, Norway

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by tormodg » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:20 pm

Very nice, kmurdick.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

Rognvald
Posts: 648
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:21 am

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by Rognvald » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:13 pm

kmurdick wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:11 pm
Yes, you should get a good teacher. By far, the easiest part (by at least a hundred fold) of learning the classical guitar is reading standard notation. I taught guitar for about 45 years so I have a bit of experience. I found I had to write my own method book since all the others went to fast. I wrote five volumes, the first one is free. You will not find a teacher who will use this book because they will not understand why I wrote it this way. I'm so misunderstood :roll:
Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/edqt3ez7xsr4 ... vxgea?dl=0

Perhaps, K,
You are destined to live the life of a "poet maudit." Playing again...Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

User avatar
Nathan Stumpf
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:54 am
Location: Linden, Alabama

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by Nathan Stumpf » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:35 pm

Rognvald wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:10 pm
Nathan Stumpf wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 pm
Rognvald wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:59 pm
Nathan,
If you don't want to waste time . . . get a good teacher. You'll progress much faster than trying to teach yourself. Playing again . . . Rognvald
Good Day Rognvald,

Getting a good teacher is definitely the way to go, I agree. I really don't have the time and resources at the moment unfortunately. I started my Masters in IT Management in January (Full time) plus I work odd hours since I do computer repair as a living. Finances are quite tight at the moment as well as a flexible schedule. My plan when I'm done with my degree is to do exactly what you advised. Get a good teacher! I also want to get a head start on my playing and and ability to read notation while I'm waiting.

Appreciate the advice!

Nate

Hi, Nate,
Well, with this relevant information, I would advise getting any primer on Musical Notation. Unfortunately, I can't provide a personal recommendation that is the most contemporary but perhaps one of our Forum's teachers can help. Good luck and success with your Master's Degree! Playing again . . . Rognvald
I'm looking for a good primer at the moment that will take the process slowly. Kmurdick's book seems like a great place to start. I believe the exercises in that book will prove to be very useful for a beginner like myself. I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions! It was a blessing to find such a great community of players, teachers, and enthusiasts.

Nate

User avatar
Nathan Stumpf
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:54 am
Location: Linden, Alabama

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by Nathan Stumpf » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:43 pm

kmurdick wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:11 pm
Yes, you should get a good teacher. By far, the easiest part (by at least a hundred fold) of learning the classical guitar is reading standard notation. I taught guitar for about 45 years so I have a bit of experience. I found I had to write my own method book since all the others went to fast. I wrote five volumes, the first one is free. You will not find a teacher who will use this book because they will not understand why I wrote it this way. I'm so misunderstood :roll:
Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/edqt3ez7xsr4 ... vxgea?dl=0
Hello kmurdick,

Thank you very much for sharing a copy of your book with me. I browsed through the contents and believe that this is really going to get me started with notation. I like the way you put the exercises together and look forward to going through some of them this evening! When you get the time, maybe you can private message me on how to go about obtaining the rest of the series. Again, thank you very much!

Have a great day,
Nate

User avatar
prawnheed
Posts: 568
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by prawnheed » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 pm

Leavitt's Modern Method books are also a good place to start learning to read and play.

User avatar
Nathan Stumpf
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:54 am
Location: Linden, Alabama

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by Nathan Stumpf » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:29 am

prawnheed wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:48 pm
Leavitt's Modern Method books are also a good place to start learning to read and play.
Hello prawnheed,

I have come across someone mentioning Leavitt's Modern Method while browsing through some learning resources on the internet and they also mentioned it was a good place to start for the beginner. I'm glad you concur, as the description of Book 1 fits my needs almost exactly. Leavitt also covers a broad range of topics that I am not specifically "Knowledgeable" in and would help me grasp a bigger picture of classical guitar in general. At the moment, I'm gradually retraining my right hand from years of incorrect technique, by learning and practicing a few new arpeggio's each night.
This is the perfect time to concentrate on learning notation.

Thanks for the suggestion prawnheed. A great beginner book at a good price. Can't beat that!

Good playing,

Nate

User avatar
dfl3tch3r
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:26 pm

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by dfl3tch3r » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:53 pm

Try and get good quality guitar sheet music because most good guitar music will include fingerings for both hands along with string numbers along with Fret position. Why not start with graded books. This way you can be sure you're only learning level appropriate material. Trinity Grade 3 Guitar and Exam pieces is a good place to start. These books have the left and right hand fingerings and string numbers where required.
Read every day and you'll be out of the blocks and up and running in no time.

User avatar
Nathan Stumpf
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:54 am
Location: Linden, Alabama

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by Nathan Stumpf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Excellent advice dfl3tch3r, the fingering positions really do make a difference. When I play regular acoustic, I made it a habit of using my thumb to finger the low E for many songs. During the last few weeks I have been using a beginner (progressive) book of arpeggios that has the left hand fingering as well. It's very tough to break old habits including using the thumb on the low E to avoid those wide stretches from low E to high E. I realized that I actually have to work on finger strength (mostly the pinky) to practice for longer periods.

Thank you for the Trinity suggestion, I'll go ahead and take a look at them now. I'm sure graded books will be especially use for me in particular, to break non-classical technique habits.

Nate

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”