Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
ronjazz

Re: Beginner Resources to Learn Classical Notation (Suggestions))

Post by ronjazz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:56 am

Nate: there are only 7 notes. It's much easier than you think. Leavitt is superb for reading, kmurdick's is a wonderful offer, you're all set to go.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Nathan Stumpf

Post by Nathan Stumpf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Good Day ronjazz,
True enough with the 7 notes! I've been doing some practicing with just memorizing every note on the fret-board and that has been extremely helpful thus far. I started with "A" and just played all the "A" notes (up to 12th fret) from low E to high E and back to easily remember. I'm in the process of using the same technique for all 7 notes, then fill in the gabs with sharps and flats after that.

I've also been studying Leavitt at the same time and it's an extraordinary beginner's resource. I am yet to look into kmurdick, but will take a look later in the day. I need to go to another thread and ask about how to adjust a classical guitar with no truss rod. Bought a cheap Yamaha for travel and 2nd fret on "A" string is starting to buzz.

Thank you very much for your comments ronjazz. It's great to be reminded not to get intimidated and over complicate things sometimes :) I am making progress, albeit slow, but it isn't as hard as I had first imagined, thanks for the resources and confidence booster!

Have a great weekend,

Nate

Nathan Stumpf

Post by Nathan Stumpf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:51 pm

**EDIT**
I do have the first book that kmurdick generously provided me with the link and it is excellent. He constructed it in a way that is very conducive to my learning style. I appreciate everyone who took their time to provide me with excellent learning suggestions and helped me build confidence. You are all great! I'm lucky to have found this wonderful forum.

Nate

Lyn

Post by Lyn » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:28 am

Hi Nathan. If you aren't going to get a teacher to help you learn notation, here are a few tips:
FORGET what you were taught about naming the spaces and lines on the staff! (i.e. FACE, for the spaces ...)
Treat it like learning the alphabet when you learned to read! Shorter alphabet A B C D E F G
For example - start with the first string, three notes E F G. You know their positions are
E - open string, Top space on the staff
F - 1st fret, 1st finger, Top line on the staff
G - 3rd fret, 3rd finger, Space above the staff
Be able to look at a piece of music and instantly recognise these three notes throughout - just like when you learned to read!
Do this with all the notes in first position across the six strings. Remember as you go up the staff, the notes get higher and you go forward in the musical alphabet and as you go down the staff, you read backwards in the alphabet and the notes get lower.
You need to be patient - really learn the first position notes and what they look like before exploring the rest of the fingerboard. Just remember each note of a particular pitch can be played in several places along the fretboard - but it always looks the same! When reading notation, numbers beside notes indicate left hand fingering, numbers in circles indicate strings, and p i m and a indicate right hand fingers.
Hope I haven't over-simplified. If this info helps and you want to take it further, just PM me. I've been teaching for YEARS and I've NEVER had a player fail to learn how to read - they couldn't all play very well, but they could ALL read!
:)
Lynda

Nathan Stumpf

Post by Nathan Stumpf » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:50 pm

Thanks for those tips Lyn! That does make much more sense to look at the notes like the alphabet. I know where all the "A"s & "B"s are on the fret board so far, but I really need to look at the notation at the same time. Even if I memorize the entire fret board and still have no idea where the notes are on the staff, then it's pretty much useless for reading. I need to get into the habit of writing notes on the staff. At the moment, I printed out 6-line "TAB"s and numbered it (5th fret E, open A, 7th fret D, etc.). I'm going to make a 5 line staff with notes written above the TABS I made for "A" - "G" so I can see them both at the same time. I think that would help. I will also use your example to help with recognition.

Much appreciated,

Nate

Lockie

Post by Lockie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi
I have would suggest A Tune A Day For the Classical Guitar by Paul C Herfuth
https://www.bookdepository.com/A-Tune-A ... rJEALw_wcB

I have used this book with many adults. It was written, in the past, for children but it worked fine for adults. The idea is, it uses simple simple building blocks, which are not intimidating to a student.

Regards
Lockie

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”