Speed

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Larry McDonald
Teacher

Re: Speed

Post by Larry McDonald » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:41 pm

I've seen this work many times.
Try singing the notes faster than you can play; do this without the guitar in your hands. Then try playing them while you sing fast. This technique addresses what is known as the covert motor routine (the governing command to play fast) instead of the covert motor routine (which is the actual commands to move the each finger, ie; the things we can see). Sometimes we simply are not really imagining/feeling the music fast enough.

-Lare
Dr. Lawrence A. McDonald, D.M.A., Art Kaplan Fellow
Author of The Conservatory Tutor for Guitar
2018 Michael Thames "Ancient Dragon" Cd/Ir
2008 Michael Thames Cd/Br
Royal Conservatory Advanced Guitar and Theory Instructor

mainterm

Post by mainterm » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:06 pm

Larry McDonald wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:41 pm
I've seen this work many times.
<snip>...covert motor routine (the governing command to play fast) instead of the covert motor routine (which is the actual commands to move the each finger, ie; the things we can see).<snip>
[emphasis mine]

I find this very interesting. Can you clarif if one of the "covert motor routine" instances above was meant to be something else, perhaps the first one?

And secondly, do you have references to related research (either academic or other empirical accounts)?

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:28 pm

Larry McDonald wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:41 pm
This technique addresses what is known as the covert motor routine (the governing command to play fast) instead of the overt motor routine (which is the actual commands to move the each finger, ie; the things we can see).
(I fixed it above) I think this is also why forcing yourself to play (once) through a passage at a speed much faster than you really can, and then going back to your top practice speed can feel much more fluent to execute.

EDIT: I was trying to remember where I read about this "inverted" approach first - it was in this 2014 article by Stephen Aron.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”