RH (Plucking Hand) fingering for a passage

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
stevel

RH (Plucking Hand) fingering for a passage

Post by stevel » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:02 pm

Piece is here (1st post, Whole Tone Prelude PDF embedded)

viewtopic.php?f=101&t=120420

Stephen Kenyon has graciously helped me with fine-tuning the notation.

Our discussion ends with me asking about RH fingering since he brought it up. Hopefully he'll respond there but I would like to have insight from others as well.

I see two "obvious" fingerings for the "triplet" 8th notes (groups of 3 on each beat of 12/8):

M-I-M -followed by M-I-M as well, giving you a "double stroke" on the E string (which is how I play it, but that means nothing as my technique is not the best "trained" in history).

Option 2 would be M-I-A which means no "double stroke" and then you can continue this "circular" rotation of fingers continuously.
I've tried the latter and while do-able for me, it's less comfortable.

But what I'm more concerned about would be the resultant sound - is there enough of a difference to warrant requesting one over the other, and what are those differences?

I have learned - through pumping nylon, things like doing patterns like this in strict alternation - M-I-M - I-M-I which of course means the I plays the 2nd string and the M the 1st - "backwards" every other group - certainly not impossible. But for this, seems either unnecessary or just, I don't know, maybe "overkill".

IOW, I'm OK with "non-traditional" techniques and don't necessarily care to do "the accepted way" - but if there is an accepted way or "standard" way to approach this I'd at least like to know so I can make an informed decision. But if the "double stroke" approach is just too out there, and the "circular" one we be the norm, I may opt for the latter.

But, I'm also OK with not indicating it all and letting the player decide.

Thoughts?

TIA
Steve

guitarrista

Re: RH (Plucking Hand) fingering for a passage

Post by guitarrista » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:04 pm

The tempo is slow enough that all versions you suggest are possibilities. Maybe it is down to a personal preference or goals. If I were to use this as a study, I would do strict alternation to learn the tiny adjustments which make the "awkward" crossings feel as comfortable as the natural ones. Or if I wanted to work on my tremolo dexterity and evenness, I'd use the a-m-i for strings 1-1-2 loop. Or if I want to torture myself with a combination of two awkward crossings and a backwards tremolo on two strings (which is sure to expand my brain after a while, though :-) ), I'd do i-m-a for strings 1-1-2 (i.e. starting as m-a-i).
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

stevel

Post by stevel » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:59 pm

Ha! Thanks. I was pretty close to just calling it Whole Tone Etude at some points, but you know, less of a technical exercise than it is compositional and musical maybe.

How do you feel about the "double-stroke" - meritorious? would it turn it into more of a "study" and be worth putting in on that level? Or is that something that would be as common to pick that it wouldn't be worth putting in?

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:13 pm

You mean the m-m-i over strings 1-1-2? I guess it teaches quick return for m; you might also add the i-i-m version of it so that i return can be practiced too.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

stevel

Post by stevel » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:59 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:13 pm
You mean the m-m-i over strings 1-1-2? I guess it teaches quick return for m; you might also add the i-i-m version of it so that i return can be practiced too.
The string order will be E-B-E or B-G-B, so the fingering order would be M-I-M in succession, meaning M-I-M M-I-M M-I-M M-I-M for each measure - "double stroking" the M on the 3rd 8th note of the beat then repeating it immediately on the 1st 8th note of the next beat.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”