watching right hand only

Classical Guitar technique: studies, scales, arpeggios, theory
Forum rules
IV Laws governing the quotation/citation of music

For discussion of studies, scales, arpeggios and theory.
Jeffrey Armbruster

watching right hand only

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:50 am

Sor's opus 35 no. 17 is just a bugaboo with me. My main problem is the way rest strokes can make me bend my wrist to the right and thin out my tone because the angle of nail attack goes awry. I plug away at the piece but it's in my head in a bad way. Anyway, just now, I realized that I can play nearly the whole piece while only looking at my right hand, and it really helps! It's easy to keep my right hand in the proper position when it's in my field of view. In a way this shouldn't be a surprise because I often play pieces that I'm familiar with largely without looking at my left hand; still this may be a real breakthrough for me in finally addressing an issue that's bothered me for a while, and not just with this piece.

Or not. But it has to help.

Derek Hasted

Re: watching right hand only

Post by Derek Hasted » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks for sharing... Watching instead of feeling the right hand can be a great way to "re-educate" the way the fingers work. Any sort of change takes a long while to "stick", but if you can hear the difference then you have a way to check what's going on while your attention is on the score or the left hand....
Nothing in this life is impossible except skiing through revolving doors

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 am

the problem with watching the right hand is that it throws your alignment of neck, head, shoulders, etc., out of whack. using a mirror may be much better in the long run.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Annalu Braga

Post by Annalu Braga » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 am

I use 90% mirror on my practice and helps me a lot.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:13 pm

ronjazz wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 am
the problem with watching the right hand is that it throws your alignment of neck, head, shoulders, etc., out of whack. using a mirror may be much better in the long run.
Thaks Ronjazz and Annalu; that makes sense. The problem is that my bathroom is too small to play in; I need to figure out a set up and buy a larger mirror for use.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:39 pm

My teacher showed me how you can clamp your iPhone to the music stand and aim the camera at your hand. :-D
Taking a selfie of your hand in real time. It is what you can do when you don’t have a mirror handy.
You look straight ahead at the screen and it shows your hand, just like a mirror.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:50 pm

I always thought that it would take a large mirror to get a useful reflection of my right hand--not true! I picked up a small make up mirror for ten bucks at BB and Beyond and it works perfectly, plus it doesn't take up much room at all. I put it on the table near my music stand.

I don't have an Iphone, so Lagartija's elegant solution unfortunately won't work for me.

I can see the advantage of full length mirror for checking posture and other things however.

Return to “Classical Guitar technique”